Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza Advice

For all those who have a pizza oven. I am about to pull the trigger. I want just a propane fueled one. I am looking at the Ooni 12"/16" and the Roccbox. A couple of questions?

Would you go Ooni or Roccbox? Or is it Chevy vs Ford?

Where did you get your go-to recipes for:
    - Dough
    - Sauce

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have the Roccbox and, well, it roxxs! It's prolly a Dodge/Chevy thing between the Ooni and R-box. I like using Baking Steel's 72 hour dough recipe but use Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour at 60% hydration. Simple red sauce of a couple of minced garlic cloves quickly sauteed in a glug of olive oil, a 28oz can of Cento San Marzano whole tomatoes hand crushed, a little oregano, and cooked down to the consistency you like.

You can't go wrong with either unit and the learning curve is not too steep, but you need to adjust recipes to the high temps these little buggers run at. And always make an extra dough ball for the next morning's breakfast pizza.

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I'm thinking the dough will be the steepest.

Look for a Neapolitan pizza dough recipe. Good overview here from Kenji on the 3 basic dough types (NY, Naples, Sicilian) - https://www.seriouseats.com/the-pizz...doughs-to-know. Looking for that post, I found this https://www.seriouseats.com/basic-pi...-ovens-5211302 which could be interesting. All of Serious Eats' pizza recipes here https://www.seriouseats.com/search?q=pizza+dough

Also, for inspiration, check out the Chef's Table: Pizza series if you have Netflix.
    Last edited by rickgregory; September 22, 2022, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      As always, good info. Thanks, Rick.

If your budget and space permits, get a 16 inch oven. Not sure if Roccobox makes one but Ooni makes a few. I have the Ooni Koda and my only regret is not waiting for the 16 inch - it was backordered when I bought the Koda 12.

Dough/sauce is all preference. It you want to make a Neapolitan pizza most dough recipes are fairly consistent. Caputo 00 flour is worth searching for. Results are great and the dough is easier to handle too. I aim for 63% hydration, 3% salt and 1-1.5% yeast

Comment

I recommend The Elements of Pizza by Ken Forkish. Although it's written for the home oven. ​

Comment

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Bought it earlier today. Will read it tonight,

Originally posted by Attjack View Post
      I recommend The Elements of Pizza by Ken Forkish. Although it's written for the home oven. ​
      I love the basic sauce. It's so easy but so good. We do a lot if the 48 to 72 hour dough recipe. These were both pizzas from the book.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220917_201446~3.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	1297998

Name:	20220914_185549~3.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	1297999

Comment

Costco frozen, I add pickles and ham, cook at 425*F on my Traeger ~20-22 minutes.

Name:	20220726_16 Pickle Pizza.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1298012

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Look at that masterpiece. Makes me want to crack a PBR.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to think pickles on a za would be gross, tried on a few weeks ago and darned if I didn't like it.
          Nice work.

jlazar I agree with with rickgregory on Kenji's Recipes. One of my favorites is his New York Pizza Recipe. I've read too many different recipes so I also agree with those who say to get a recipe or two and work on technique. Pizza is always fun to make. Good luck!

Comment

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks

I'll have to disagree slightly with the Chevy/Ford thing and backup shify on the Koda 16 for the size benefits. You'll not likely regret having the extra space to work with. I've got a full write up on my Koda 16 experience on here, just do a search to find it if you have the interest

Comment

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          Will do. Thanks

About the dough - one of the links I posted was specifically about a guy who does pizza in a regular (restaurant sized) wood fired oven for work and his expereince adapting his dough to one of these ovens.

He found that adding the sugar, oil and diastatic malt used in NY style doughs in an Ooni caused it to actually burn (not char) when run all out (at very high temps, 750+). Interesting read.

Comment

When you read the book by Ken Forkish pay close attention. There is a note about adjusting the hydration level for the higher temps that you can get from a pizza oven. I made an extra column on the recipes to accommodate that.

Comment

• jlazar
            jlazar commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I found the section of hydration levels very interesting.

Since I don’t own a pizza oven I’ll speak only about the dough.

For years I used Peter Reinhart’s focaccia/pizza dough formula and loved every pizza made from it. Peter is a bread making deity in many circles and teaches artisan bread making at Johnson & Wales Culinary School. Recently I was turned onto Vito Iaccopelli’s Poolish dough and I’m a convert. Hydration for both is around 65% so you’ll have a slightly sticky dough to work with.

Vito’s dough formula.

Vito’s YouTube dough instruction.

+1 on rickgregory ‘s suggestion to watch Chef’s Table: Pizza for inspiration.

Good luck with your oven purchase and dough.

Comment

• jlazar
            jlazar commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. Will check out Chef's Table: Pizza.

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Just read the article… I’ve been to Michael’s several times. Great food!!

I don't know if you've pulled the trigger on an oven yet or not, but regarding pizza cookbooks, the suggestions on here have been outstanding. I would also add Joy of Pizza by Dan Richer, and The Pizza Bible by Tony Gemignani.

Regarding pizza ovens, a couple years ago, I went with the Carbon oven, because I liked the idea of a flame under the stone. It's worked well for me, but the heat can runaway a bit if you don't keep an eye on it. Also, if you want to fall down the rabbit hole of pizza oven options and pizza recipes, pizzamaking.com has a lot of information about both. It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but it has a lot of good information. They have both home cooks and pizza shop operators on the site.

Ultimately, though, I agree with some of the sentiments above that you can make a really good pizza in a home oven. I had started with a steel in mine, and got to the point where I was getting pretty solid results. My problem was that I was getting flour all in my oven when launching. My wife didn't love that, so I moved my pizza making outdoors.
          Attached Files

Comment

I’ve said it before here…. American Pie by Peter Reinhart. I’ve cooked my way through this book countless times. Not every sauce, but every dough. And I responded to follow this thread about pizza ovens. I do ok cooking inside, but looking to expand.

Comment

• NumbWhistle
              NumbWhistle commented
              Editing a comment
              Another excellent book on the topic! I also enjoy Peter Reinhart's Pizza Quest podcast. He has had an old friend of mine on it a few times over the years.

A shoutout to SheilaAnn re American Pie. Picked it up used, great read, especially first part re his pizza
            hunt.

Have an Ooni 16, propane (can't keep models straight). Like the space, and simplicity
            I started out with sourdough, mastered the learning curve {kinda}, but too much frequent maintenance for me,
            back to regular dough. Main lesson, long fermentation, less is more re toppings.

Comment

• Sid P
              Sid P commented
              Editing a comment
              SheilaAnn

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              yakima when it comes to dough, I’m with you regarding sourdough. I like to make a dough 24-36 hours out. I love the cold rest. Glad you like the book! If you choose to make that sauce that is no cook (page 142), make it at the same time as a dough that will rest overnight. The sauce benefits from the time to get happy!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here