Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza ovens what to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza ovens what to buy

We have been making pizza at home with good results,I have cooked pizza in our electric oven, on my gas grill, on my Primo and now on my Napoleon 22” kettle. I found out the Primo needs at least an hour to get hot (575F) the Napoleon kettle does not seem to get hot enough (500F max.) with a 16” pizza stone in place, I assume the stone chokes the air flow? I was watching Vito the pizza guy on you tube and he stated that most gas fired pizza ovens need 45-60 min. to get the pizza stone hot enough to cook on? Is this true?
    If this is the case I may as well stay with my Primo XL for cooking pizza? I know if I get lump charcoal with big pieces then it will get hot enough. I recently watched Brian Lagerstrom make 24 hour fermented pizza dough which he cooked at 550F and we liked his recipe, that is our go to method now.
    Here is the second pizza we cooked last night on the kettle at 500F dome temp. The crust could be cooked some more. So far I the Primo has been my best pizza cooker. I don’t see much advantage in buying a gas fired pizza oven?

Click image for larger version

Name:	EF7E1FE8-8E4B-4405-9739-C9DEA0640104.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	1281734

I have the KettlePizza attachment for my Weber Kettle. It turns the Weber into a wood burning pizza oven. I’ve temperature up in the 700’s and have cooked pizzas is less than two minutes.

Comment

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      My Napoleon is very similar it gets to 700F very quickly but as I found out last night not with a pizza stone in it.

What I have done in the past is to preheat my Baking Steel in the oven, and then transfer the hot steel to my Kettle.

Two things if ya do this:

Have the path from the oven clear, and either have any doors open, or someone to open them.

Use several layers of pot holders ' cause a 500° + stone or steel heats up potholders fast.

Comment

I used my Primo for pizza. It works, but I found it cumbersome. You cannot see the pizza like you can in a traditional wood fired oven, and lifting the lid allows heat to escape. Also you might get a WOOSH, smell Sulphur, then realize you have no eyebrows and slightly shorter hair.

Now IDEALLY I would have a traditional brick oven in the backyard. But given certain economic and available square footage realities, this just is not a fantastic option. But of course, all hope is NOT lost. What I want to do is replace the cheap free kettle grill I found on the curb in front of a rental house with a 22 inch Weber, and then get the Weber pizza oven attachment thing. It is nothing more than a spacer with an opening that goes between the grill and the lid. While not exactly like a traditional brick oven, its gonna be "close enough". If anyone I invite over says anything, I will just reply with "it is better than YOUR pizza oven". So there! With your opinion and twenty five cents, you can get a gumball from a mall vending machine.

I can load lump or even all wood chunks in the kettle, start a roaring fire, and its gonna be as close as I can get to traditional without spending close to 1 million dollars on a home with a large backyard where I can have a bad ass covered patio and a sweet brick oven.

Comment

• Argoboy
        Argoboy commented
        Editing a comment
        Right now I am thinking about getting the Primo pizza cooking attachment, it is on sale at C$328.00. A gas fired pizza oven would be about the same price. I have Primo 15-16” round pizza stone and a 14” Lodge cast iron pan too.

• SmokeyGator
        SmokeyGator commented
        Editing a comment
        @agroboy there is a pizza oven converter thing for the Primo???? THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!

• painter
        painter commented
        Editing a comment
        SmokeyGator there certainly is a converter thang for the Primo--saw one this summer at the Denver BBQ fest Primo booth. It looks pretty sweet.
        I agree with your observations around not being able to see the pie and heat loss when opening. My Primo is the LG model and being smaller, I think it heats up quicker. Once, I got distracted while preheating and the temp went north of 700 and melted the gasket off! I find 550-600 to be the sweet spot for pizza on my rig.

It’s only true if you decide you have to cook all your pizzas at 950° like a Neapolitan pizzaiolo. We’ve made several Detroit style pizzas at about 650°, and it takes my Roccbox 20 minutes to get there. Ten minutes after that it’s near 800°, but the last 100 will take awhile. A pizza cooked at 800° is still done in 2 minutes, and 800 is much more forgiving than 900+.

To me it’s all about convenience and ease of use. I don’t have to mess around with the fire - I just go out and turn the dial. I don’t lose any heat when I turn the pizza, or get a face full of heat and smoke on a hot day. I also don’t have to mess around with ash afterwards. My pizzas on the kettle were always a little hit or miss, and I assume the Primo XL is a better pizza cooker, but with the hot stone on the bottom and the adjustable flame on the top, my Roccbox is pretty foolproof. Plus I can take it on a picnic or even on vacation with me.

Anyone who says you need a pizza oven to make a great pizza is full of crap, but it is the proverbial "better mousetrap" IMO.

Name:	8E792520-EB79-4367-BED5-4AD72E94D58C.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1281777 Click image for larger version

Name:	EC2096FB-7D70-488E-93EB-A1A610546086.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	1281779 Click image for larger version

Name:	5EE5935D-566B-4121-84D1-CFFE73AFCAF2.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	1281778

Comment

• Allon
        Allon commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi this is Allon. I’d like to place a delivery order…

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Pizza and PBR, thanks for post.

I have a Lone Star Grillz 24 by 48 Adjustable on order. I'm hoping that with it, I can cook pizza in a Bakerstone box. In email correspondence with Chris at LSG, he hadn't heard of this box (the design trick for these guys is that pizza stones are bottom, top, sides and back of the box), but is quite interested in how it turns out if I try it. He agreed with me that heat up time with the firebox cranked up as close to the grill as it goes, the box should heat up in 20 minutes or so. He mentioned he has a traditional wood fired brick pizza oven at his house that does take over an hour of heating before it's ready.

Comment

I'm with Sid P I have done done very good pizzas in the oven and the WSCG with a stone or a steel, but not as good or as consistent as the Roccbox.

Comment

A lot of temp concerns revert back to the dough characteristics. Vito is a high hydration guy and to get good crisp on the bottom it is best to heat soak the stone as much as possible. The Lagerstrom dough is less sensitive, but I think he also uses a steel rather than stone. Steel heats faster and retains more heat. I used a 3/8" steel in a kamado once and burned the bottom of Vito style dough before the top began to brown so the variables are multiple.

My current gas pizza oven is an Ooni Koda 16 which takes about 45 minutes to get the stone to a good temperature, fully heat soaked (there IS a difference between being at surface temp and fully heat soaked).

While I've been using the Koda 16 for a couple years of satisfactory use, I did just get a Halo Versa 16 oven. It's large enough to do a good sized pie with some working room, but the main attractions are a rotating stone and an infrared burner under the stone as well as a burner for the top. I've only gotten one cook on it so far, so won't be doing any longer form commentary until I have a few more to give myself a breadth of results from experimenting.

Comment

If you’re looking to get your napoleon hotter you might try finding a way to keep the lid slightly cracked open. I say cracked because if memory serves me right those things have hinged lids. Either way the extra airflow should get those coals ripping and help get them to generate the heat you’re looking for. Maybe the same thing would work on the primo too, even just to get the stone heat soaked and help to better time out the dough being done at the same time the toppings are.

Comment

I love my Ooni pellet pizza oven. The model I got is super basic and no longer available, so I can’t comment on the current models.
              Before I got the Ooni I used a whole bunch of methods, all of which were fine:
              • Weber gas grill
              • PK grill
              • LSG side box

Comment

• RlsRls
                RlsRls commented
                Editing a comment
                I got my Ooni Fyra this Christmas. I'm finding the pellet combustion very sooty! Have you had a similar experience? Pizzas taste fine, just sooty smoke and soot filled oven and chimneys! Any suggestions? Thanks.

I ordered the Primo pizza cooking accessory today, I have decided that what ever I buy to cook pizza will require time to heat up a pizza stone. I did receive a few tips from our members on getting more air flow which will speed up the heating process.

Comment

• Sid P
                Sid P commented
                Editing a comment
                Enjoy!

• Argoboy
                Argoboy commented
                Editing a comment
                The pizza attachment has arrived yesterday and I will be cooking pizza on today.

Thanks for everybody’s input- about their pizza oven purchases. i’m having my 50 year old guy midlife dilemma. i’m debating justifying spending $500 roccbox or 16 inch koda vs buying a 100-300 pizza steel or pizza inset for my dependable 13 year old weber genesis gas grill. i also have a 10 year old 14 inch smokey mountain i use regularly. My family is pushing for the fun dedicated family pizza oven but like all things i wonder how much we would use it. i’m thinking about 1-3x a month.

PS: my other dilemma is to buy another a very practical minivan or move onto a stylish suv since the kids will be leaving soon

Comment

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Can’t help with the pizza issue but as to the other, buy both. You need to have something to tow behind your rig to run around in once the rig is setup.🙂

• Uncle Bob
                Uncle Bob commented
                Editing a comment
                If you want to see what you can do on the gasser look at what Dr._Pat instructs on this thread; https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-grilled-pizza

The Primo pizza cooking attachment has arrived and this is the first cook, it seems to fit OK I was concerned about gaps but then I figured they help with the air flow. It did not take long for the temp dial to get to 700F after starting less than hour for sure, which is much hotter than I could get before. The pizza stone was at 550F when I put the pizza on. The pizza was good but the bottom crust was almost cooked too much. I think the flour that was under the dough was part of the problem. I am quite pleased with it so far. I probably should have rotated the pizza as it cooked I will next time. One thing I did notice was that high temperature cooks degrade the gasket but I have two more on hand.

Name:	F31C40DF-D994-4AA9-A806-3C825225BB46.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	1291318 Click image for larger version

Name:	4DD06CA2-2EAD-4414-93FA-74C6A9D280A9.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	1291316 Click image for larger version

Name:	CFB5F5A4-E461-4D52-A18F-D8ECBABD56D3.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	1291317

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here