Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

A little disappointed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joephoto
    Club Member
    • Jul 2017
    • Naples, Florida

A little disappointed

So as a first time poster I'm sure this has probably been covered before but I would have to go through 5000 titles and messages to try to find what I'm looking for so I'm just gonna put it out there. I have had five cooks with my new KBQ. None of them turning out with as much success as get with my stick burner. I don't really want to be a debbie downer here but… I purchased the KBQ based on Meatheads review and recommendation. So far I have had 5 cooks on this unit and can't seem to get enough smoke on my meat. I even have both poppets open for the entire cook time. What I do notice is that you lose a lot of smoke compared to a stick burner. When the fan cycles down and stops drawing smoke into the chamber the rest of the smoke just goes out through the chimney and doesn't get used. Which means you lose about 50% of the smoke that would be used when the fan is not drawing smoke into the chamber. Also huge temp. fluctuations between peak and trough as it cycles. Probably as much as 15-25˚'s

So what am I doing wrong if anything and is this just typical for this type of cooker? So far honestly I've been very disappointed and prefer my stick burner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
  • DavidNorcross
    Club Member
    • Nov 2017
    • Virginia
    • Rec Tec RT-680
      Coleman RoadTrip LXX
      Javelin Pro Duo
      More Cast Iron than I care to admit

Welcome from Virginia! Sorry, I cant help with this cooker, but I am sure that others will lend a hand. You have come to the right place!

Comment

• Joephoto
      Joephoto commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanx
  • Jerod Broussard
    • Jun 2014
    • East Texas
    • Pit Barrel Cooker "Texas Brisket Edition"
      Weber One Touch Premium Copper 22" Kettle (gift)
      Slow 'n Sear for 22" Kettle
      Weber One Touch Premium Black 26" Kettle (gift)
      Slow 'n Sear XL for 26" Kettle (gift)
      Weber Smokey Joe Gold
      Weber Rapid Fire Chimney
      Vortex
      Maverick ET-732 White
      Maverick ET-732 Copper
      2- Auber SYL-1615 fan systems(Awesome!!!!!!!!)
      Thermoworks Thermapen w/ Back light (gift)
      Thermoworks Timestick
      Cambro Model 300MPC110 w/ Winco SS Pans
      B & B and Kingsford Charcoal
      B & B Pellets

What temp are you running?

Temperature fluctuations are nothing. They average out. My indoor stove set at 170 peaks at 195 and bottoms out at 145. My stick burner fluctuated b/n 190 and 330 and it still turned out some mighty fine brisket.

Comment

• Joephoto
      Joephoto commented
      Editing a comment
      OK thanks, but that seems like a lot to me. Just sayin'.
  • Ricardo
    Club Member
    • Jan 2017
    • Palm City, FL

Joephoto The unit has a learning curve so to speak. I too purchased it based on reviews and comments from this website. I’m happy with it, but It did take me a few tries to get there... so let me ask you a few questions if you don’t mind. It’s probably going to take a few back and forth, but let’s give it a try.

What have you cooked in it thus far? What type of wood are you using? Is the smoke flavor too mild for your preference or do you find the finished product a bit blend?

How do you start the fire? How do you tend the fire? Are you using the lid? How much wood are you putting in, type of wood, and how often? Photos by any chance that you can share?

Its a small world. I see you are in Naples, wonderful place to live and work.

Let us know and we will gladly share some suggestions that have may help get this up to your expectations.

Take care and talk to you soon.
    Ricardo
    ps: This unit works differently than the rest of the traditional smokers, so one of the things you should consider not worrying to much about are those on off cycles, so long they stay pretty even, you are fine. More on that later.
    Cheers,
    Ricardo

Comment

• Joephoto
      Joephoto commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Riccardo, thanks for your response and all your questions.I will answer themAs best I can.

1. So far I have cooked racks of baby back's and Kansas City style ribs. AlsoTurkey legs and wings.
      2. I am using either or hickory when I do my burns.
      3. I find the smoke flavor to be too mild for my taste even with both poppets open throughout the entire cook.

• Joephoto
      Joephoto commented
      Editing a comment
      4. I start my wood on a bed of hardwood coals to start. Usually put in a small log or two to get it going, Wait for it to burn down and then add more wood to get the cook started.
      5. I tend my fire by setting a timer for every 20 minutes to check on the wood. If there's room I add more wood.
      6. Yes, using the lid.
      7. Sorry no photos.
      8. On off cycle temps vary greatly in my opinion. I get much more even temps in my stick burner once it levels off.
      Yes, Naples is great and thanx for your response
  • RonB
    Club Member
    • Apr 2016
    • Near Richmond VA
    • Weber Performer Deluxe
      SNS
      Pizza insert
      Rotisserie
      Smokenator 1000
      Cookshack Smokette Elite
      2 Thermapens
      Chefalarm
      Dot
      lots of probes.
      CyberQ

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but no experience with the KBQ.

Comment

• Huskee
      Pit Boss
      • May 2014
      • central MI, USA
      • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Want a free bottle of whiskey? Check out my link to Flaviar.com, you join with it, we both get a $50 bottle free.

Smokers / Grills
        • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
        • PBC
        • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
        • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
        • Dyna-Glo XL Premium dual chamber charcoal grill
        • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
        • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
        • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
        • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
        • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
        • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
        • (7) Maverick ET-732s
        • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
        • (1) Smoke by ThermoWorks
        • (1) Signals by ThermoWorks
        • Thermapen MkII, orange
        • ThermoPop, yellow
        • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
        • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
        • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
        • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
        • Instant Pot 6qt
        • Anova Bluetooth SV
        • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
        • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
        • BBQ Dragon
        • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
        • Weber grill topper
        • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
        • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
        • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
        • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
        • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
        • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
        • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
        • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
        • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
        • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
        Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

Very clean hi-temp smoke can be interpreted by smoke lovers as mild or delicate smoke flavor on meat. You could just love a more pronounced smoke flavor, something you're used to with the wood and how you use it on your stickburner.

Comment

• ofelles
        Club Member
        • Jun 2018
        • Brentwood CA
        • Yoder YS640 on Comp cart
          Klose 20x42 Charcoal Grill
          LSG Insulated Cabinet
          Jumbo Joe
          VacMaster Pro 380 sealer
          FireBoard and Pit Bull fan
          Thermoworks Signal
          Thermoworks Dot
          Thermopen Mk4

Welcome to the Pit from the California Delta.

Comment

• Joephoto
          Joephoto commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanx
      • SmokeyNate
        Club Member
        • Jan 2020
        • The Willamette Valley

I am not as experienced as many on here as I have only had my KBQ for a few months. I do seem to get plenty of smoke flavor out of it though. Are you keeping the lid on the firebox when you using it? I have read that makes a difference and have always kept mine on.

What wood are you using? I have only used hickory and oak so far and it seem like hickory gives a stronger smoke flavor. My temp does fluctuate a bit but has never been a problem on the final product. I keep my bottom poppet fully open and the top about half to full on most cooks and get a nice bold smokey flavor.

Comment

• Joephoto
          Joephoto commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, lid always on and both poppets open full.
          Oak and Hickory
          Thanx
      • ComfortablyNumb
        Club Member
        • May 2017
        • Northeast Washington
        • KBQ C-60
          PK360
          Thermoworks Smoke
          Thermoworks Thermopop
          Thermoworks Dot

Are you tending the coal bed? Keep a layer of coals covering the bottom of the firebox at all times. I frequently use the tending tool to push the coals around to make sure there is a solid layer of coals, and to break down the larger pieces above. If there are gaps in the coals air is sucked in, diluting the smoke and causing temperature variations. Keep the box full and the lid on. This insures you have coals at the ready and your wood will last longer. Do all coal tending and wood additions when the intake fan is idle, or unplug the unit. That will minimise ash being drawn into the cook box.

Comment

• Joephoto
          Joephoto commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I do the same.
      • Mr. Bones
        Birthday Hat Master
        • Sep 2016
        • Kansas Territory
        • Grills / Smokers

Kingsford 24" grill (Free) 'Billy'
          Brinkmann Smoke n Grill
          Oklahoma Joe Highland, gaskets, LavaLock baffle / tuning plate. 'Big Joe'
          Weber 18" Kettle ($30 CL) 'Lil' Feller'
          Weber Smokey Joe ($25 CL) 'Lil' Brother'
          Weber 22.5 Master Touch '93 P Code Blue($85) from fellow WKC member Bmitch 'Elwood'
          Weber 22.5 Bar-B-Q Kettle '69-'70 "Patent Pending" Red ($80) from fellow WKC member dwnthehatch 'Maureen'
          Weber 22.5 OTS DD Code Black ($40 CL) 'DeeDee'
          Weber 22.5 OTS DO Code Black ($15 CL)
          Weber 22.5 OTS E Code Black ($20 CL
          Weber 22.5 OTS EE Code Black ($20 CL

Weber "C" Code 18.5" WSM '81 ($50 CL) 8-0!!!
          Weber "H" Code 18.5" WSM '86 ($75 CL)
          Weber " " Code 18.5" WSM

Weber 26.75, $199 NFM clearance !!!
          Weber SJS AH 'Lil' Brother'
          Weber SJS AT 'Lil' Sister'
          Weber SJS DE Code (FREE) 'Lil' Helper'
          Weber SJG M Code 'Lil Traveller'
          Weber SJS AH Code 'Kermit'
          (Lime Green)
          Horizon 20" Classic, w/baffle/tuning plate (FREE)
          Good One Open Range, (FREE), Monthly Prize from AR giveaway!!!!

Thermometers:
          Ol' Skool Bi-metal probe pocket thermo, that has checked / served ~ 1,000,000 meals in my possession, easily...
          Maverick ET-732, (Black)
          Thermopops, (Red, Yellow, Green)
          ThermaPen Mk4 (Black), THANKS!!! to jgjeske1
          Blue ThermaPen Mk4
          Orange Thermapen Mk4
          Pink Thermapen Mk4
          ThermoWorks IR-GUN-S
          ThermoWorks Smoke
          ThermoWorks Open Box Smoke
          4 Pro Series cable extensions
          Smoke Gateway

Accessories:
          2 Slow 'N Sears, Slow 'N Sear XL, Grill 'N Griddle
          BBQ Vortex, 2 Hovergrills, Top Deck
          Warming shelf
          MyWeigh KD-8000Kitchen Scale
          Backyard Grill marinade injector
          Acoustic Guitars/Electric Guitars/Basses/1928 National Duolian/Harmonicas/Banjo Washboard, Spoons, kazoos, pocket comb with wax paper, egg shakers ;-)
          Bear Paws
          Meat Rakes
          BBQ Dragon/Chimley of Insanity, Dragon Wing Shelves (x2 ea.)

Cookware:
          Probably a ton of cast iron, mostly very old...still cookin'
          G'Ma's Piqua skillet, :-)( They went out of business in 1934~)
          '60's Revere Ware (Mom's), + others found elsewhere
          60's CorningWare 10-cup percolator (Mom's) Daily driver
          50's CorningWare 10-cup percolator (G'Ma's), for a backup! ;-)
          Carpy Wally World stock pots, in approx 2 gal/3gal sizes, blue speckledty-porcelain enameled
          Tramontina 6.5 qt Dutch Oven

Cutlery, etc.:
          Shi*-ton of kitchen/chef knives, most sharper than my straight-razors are. (Better steel!) Chicago Cutlery, Old Hickory, various, including some nice German stuff ;-)
          Dexter 12" slicing knife, 6" Sani-Safe boning knife
          Smith's Tri-Hone Natural Arkansas Knife Sharpening System
          Multiple steels, from all over the planet
          Crock sticks
          Diamond stones, various
          Lansky Sharpening System

Tableware
          Daily driver:Washington Forge Mardi Gras, Navy / Cobalt Blue
          Dinner: Guests: Washington Forge, Town and Country
          Fancy / Formal: Family silverware

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
        Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

I don't have a Karubecue, but there's lotsa smart folks here who do, I'm bettin they will help ya git it all sorted out...

Comment

• Joephoto
          Joephoto commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanx buddy
      • Ahumadora
        Club Member
        • Oct 2015
        • Pilar Buenos Aires, Argentina

Use Mesquite if you want a heavy smoke flavor. It belches out smoke like no other wood and has good flavor. Use mainly for beef

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          mesquite and red oak for beef, lamb, and venison!

• Joephoto
          Joephoto commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok I'll try it but it's def. a different smoke profile. Thanx
      • HawkerXP
        Club Member
        • Jul 2016
        • Northern Virginia
        • 3 Weber kettles, and a PBC
          Thermopop
          Dot w two probes
          Slo n Sear
          Cold beer

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• Joephoto
          Joephoto commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanx
      • Joephoto
        Club Member
        • Jul 2017
        • Naples, Florida

Originally posted by RonB View Post
        Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but no experience with the KBQ.
        thanx

Comment

• Ricardo
          Club Member
          • Jan 2017
          • Palm City, FL

Joephoto Pork is a good choice to start. I would suggest sticking to pork till you get the feeling that you’ve got your KBQ dialed in. Nothing wrong with poultry, but the skin texture requires some higher levels of tight temperature controls and the pork, at least in my experience, has been more forgiving and ideal to start with.

Hickory should impart a good level of smoke. Are your splits seasoned or kiln dried? If you can, go with seasoned. That helped me; however, I use seasoned FL live-oak, which is abundant in our parts... Collier and Martin Counties. Splits that are too dry will burn faster, but not necessarily impart smokiness. Oak is considered milder than hickory, but I would still try seasoned native oak if you can. With pork or beef, it imparts an awesome smoke ring, of course, that’s a matter of individual preferences too, but I like it.

Poppet management is very important. Once the unit heats up, the poppets tend to dance, and can and will move on you. Some of the KBQ owners use simple modifications, most of them non intrusive nor permanent, to keep poppet settings fixed, like metal paper clips and folio fasteners to reduce the chance that the poppers get to moving on you without noticing.

If your not getting the smoke levels you like, then change the wood type, open the top poppet more, and try low and slow instead of hot and fast. The lower poppet allows passage of clean, or cleaner smoke. The smoke gets drawn from the firebox, but when it’s pulled from the bottom and forced by the fan through the holes, the temperature and thickness of the coal bed is what finishes cleaning that smoke. Smoke gets heated and forced through the holes, which is essentially clean or maybe “sweeter smoke” if there is such a thing, resulting from good combustion and self cleansing smoke as it’s forced into the cooking chamber.

The top poppet lets more of that incomplete combustion and heavy or heavier smoke particles into the cooking chamber. That’s the smoke you mention gets lost when the fan stops for a few seconds or minutes really. Drawing this dirtier smoke will for sure impart more of a smoke flavor; however, I would go easy on this till you get the setting right for your liking. I keep the top poppet always closed, and the bottom open all the way. It’s a matter of preference.

Now, this step that I’m about to mention is a very critical one. In my case, getting the logic took me a bit to understand the first go around, and made a world of a difference once I got the concept down and with some tips that folks in this website pointed out to me just in time, ended up being the missing piece I needed. It has to do with managing lit coals. This step alone, in my case, resolved any initial misgivings.

Start with some charcoal on a chimney or even in the firebox, let them get going and after they are ready, fill up the chamber with wood splits, by fill it up, I mean, till you can’t put anything more in it safely, and that you can set the lid on.

Run your smoker with the lid installed on top. I wish the design had a more user friendly lid. In any case, put the lid on it after every firebox split placement, set the lid back on top. That forces smoke to be readily available when the fan pulls smoke and heat into the cooking chamber. Without it, you will allow more hot air instead of smoke to get in.

I little bit of planning helps. I found it ideal to have the splits cut to size, so that they are easy to feed into the firebox. Have your splits ready. You want the wood fibers running along the longest direction, parallel to the longest dimension. Place the splits carefully so you have a thick even layer with no gaps, patches or visible gaps.

Maintain a thick layer of lit coals. Don’t let them get too thin on you. If by any chance you happen to see any of the holes on the base of the firebox, just one, that’s a clear signal that you don’t have enough lit coals, or that the coal bed is just too thin and the unit is drawing Into your cooking chamber, more air than smoke. You don’t want to see any of the holes, nor see the flames being pulled into them. My first cook, I saw the holes everywhere and I thought that was good, but quickly learned that’s not the case.

You may be looking at feeding the firebox like every 30 to 45 minutes, but it’s worth it. Not sure it’s a time thing In all honesty.. It’s more like a thickness of lit coal bed. In the photo below, you can see the holes I’m talking about. This of course is not what you want. You don’t want to see them. You don’t want lit coals here and there, but everywhere.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AD2C02E8-8B21-4413-9356-A4E33435A1F9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.12 MB ID:	837138

​​​​​​Try feeding the firebox when one of the fans stops. i.e. when you see that smoke starts to go up and away, instead of into the cooking chamber. Before you add wood, tamp down the coals, even them out, add wood, cover it up with the lid, let it do it’s thing. I use a lobster tickle stick to tend the coals.

Once you get the hang of it, you will see a steady pattern of on off cycles, tending to the lit coals, feeding the firebox. You will suddenly notice that the machine starts to hum, it’s like in the zone so to speak. That’s what you want. You want your KBQ humming.

if you get long draws and short off cycles, you don’t have enough coals. Load it up.

Once you are done, check the fans. If they look black, your cook was maybe a bit too much of the dirty smoke and the food could end up being a bit bitter. If the fan blades look more like light gray smoke, then you had a clean or cleaner run and that’s what in my case, my family prefers.

Hope this helps. Don’t get too concerned with the cycles and temperature swings. It’s normal, so long they are cyclical and even. Look out for that humming.,. In the zone.

Some people recommend using water in the cooking chamber. Most of the time, I have some water in an aluminum hotel pan that I place at the bottom, but it’s more for ease of cleaning and to collect drippings, not so much to keep water in the chamber. That’s a very different topic and one that would require a different thread, so you decide. I would put the pan in with water. In any case, it will help with cleanups.

Best of luck and give these tips a try. They worked for me. You are likely going to get further tips from more advanced or proficient pit masters here. These KBQ units have some loyal followers, with some members having a collection of them. I agree, they are excellent cookers, but there is an initial learning curve and I’m pretty sure you are going to get better results if you follow these tips.

I too also enjoy fixings from a more traditional stick burner, but in the beginning, I probably would have leaned toward classic over KBQ, but not sure that’s the case every time now. KBQ smoked goods, when you get the unit dialed in, is truly second to none.

Cheers,
          Ricardo
          Last edited by Ricardo; April 24th, 2020, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Great technique and advice!

• Joephoto
            Joephoto commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Ricardo, This is all great info. thank you! Maybe I will try to pack more wood in the hopper but not sure that will make much of a diff. As I expressed earlier in my original post, you lose a lot of smoke when the smoker cycles down.

Thanx so much for all your input. I really appreciate it.
            I see you live in Palm City. We have friends in Port Saint Lucie and Jupiter. And I used to live in Fort Lauderdale and Coconut Creek. Be well stay safe and keep on smoking'! 😀

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            You are a hero! I learned a trick or two!
        • KBQ
          KBQ
          Charter Member
          • May 2015
          • Southlake, TX, USA

Joephoto here are a some thoughts relative to your experience:
          • For the strongest smoke flavor and darkest color profile, it is important to keep the top poppet fully open AND to keep the bottom poppet shut. Strong flames flowing through the bottom poppet can burn some of the uncombusted smoke being drawn through the upper poppet as the two flows merge in the Firebox "tailpipe"
          • Take care to keep your face out of the smoke rising from the Firebox during the cook. Just a few good snorts of that heavy smoke can drastically lower your sensitivity for many hours. I discovered this years ago after being disappointed one day and reversing my opinion the next day when the leftovers came out of the fridge
          • As you know, the Firebox Lid plays an important role in strengthening flavors, in addition to reducing sparking and fuel consumption
          • Small and/or dry wood weakens the flavor profile. Kiln-dried wood in particular will burn too hot. You want air-seasoned logs of 20-30% moisture content - typical of air-seasoned hardwood firewood. Avoid store-bought chunks or mini-logs if they have been kiln-dried (this is commonly done to avoid mold growth inside the packaging). Finding the right fuel can be a challenge in Florida - I'm not sure if this has been an issue for you or not
          • The temperature control deadband is much lower (40-70%) than that of your kitchen oven. The mechanical thermostat is of the same type, but with a 40% tighter spec, and the convection flow past the sensor further reduces the deadband. The average temperature is what matters - you could put an infrared thermometer on your meat and find the surface temperature remains nearly constant as the draft fan goes through its cycle. Brush the sensor clean periodically (per the OM), as the accumulation of soot will insulate the sensor, slowing its response and increasing the deadband
          • Smoke does escape from the Firebox when the draft fan cycles off, but the smoke in the Cookbox from the previous cycle continues to recirculate (i.e., there is no purging with fresh air) and impinge on the meat surfaces, and it is not appreciably "used up" in the short time it takes for the next cycle to begin. The net amount of smoke flowing through the Cookbox is equal to that from a smaller, perfectly-sized fire being drawn at a 100% duty cycle. I.e., it is exactly equal to that of an offset operating at the same average temperature
          • If all of the above fails, you may simply have a preference for a heavier flavor profile than the KBQ is designed to produce. If so, please let me know (my phone and email are laser-etched into the top of the Controlbox) and I'll do my best to resolve the situation to your satisfaction
          With kind regards,

Bill

Comment

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            KBQ you rock. So many reasons to love a KBQ and this is a biggie!

• Timbo54
            Timbo54 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Bill, my complaint is the same. I've been using very dry Almond and Mesquite and not getting the profile expected. This could be the problem as well as the fact my nostrils are burned out after a cook. Someone suggested taking a shower before eating and that helped. Also poppet position has been an issue and I will continue to experiment per your recommendation. Thanks.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Good advice on avoiding "smoke overload" during the cook. Any time I use my offset, which requires a lot of tending, I find that things don't taste smokey, as I am on smoke overload just from being outside by the cooker. Things don't taste smokey until the next day when I have leftovers, but everyone else things its super smokey.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early!
        Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
        See more
        See less
        Working...
        X
        Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
        Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
        This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

BBQ Stars

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Placeholder

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here for more info on the Maverick PT-55 Waterproof Instant-Read Thermometer Review shown above. It may be the best value in a thermometer out there

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet's Dual Tube Burners

the good one grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King's proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read our complete review

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill

The Good-One Open Range is a charcoal grill with an offset smoke chamber attached. It is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. The grill sits low in front and doubles as a firebox for the smoke chamber which is spliced on above and behind so it can work like a horizontal offset smoker only better. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

Griddle And Deep Fryer All In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all. Plus it has a built in cutting board, garbage bag holder, and paper towel holder. An additional work table on the left side provides plenty of counter space.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers in the hardware stores because temperature control is so much easier. Best of all, it is only $299 delivered to your door!

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. Don't accept cheap substitutes.  Click here to read our test results and comprehensive review and why it won our Platinum Medal .

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Placeholder

Char-Broil's Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you're off to the party! Char-Broil's TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill

Their NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Placeholder

G&F Suede Welder's Gloves

Heat Resistant Gloves With Extra Long Sleeves Hold The Hot Stuff

If you're using oven mitts at the grill, it's time to trade up. Say hello to these suede welder's gloves. They're heat resistant enough to handle hot grill grates, and flexible enough to handle tongs. The extra long sleeves even let you reach deep into the firebox to move hot logs without getting burned. Our Fave.

Click here to read our detailed review

Click here to order from Amazon

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, keep small foods from committing suicide, kill hotspots, are easier to clean, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily removed and moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke to whatever is above. Every gas grill needs them.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

PK 360 grill

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado. Beautifully designed and completely portable. Meathead says it is his preferrred grill.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order it direct from PK and get a special deal for AmazingRibs.com readers only

kareubequ bbq smoker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker

The First Propane Smoker With A Thermostat Makes This Baby Foolproof

Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

fireboard bbq thermometer

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order