Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ temperature control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBQ temperature control

This is the most ambitious of my KBQ mods, and I expect to be my favorite. I’ve never been fond of the dial for setting pit temp. It’s inconsistant and difficult to dial in your specific temperature. I realize that the meat will come out just fine if it’s cooked at 10* higher or lower or whatever, but whatever. Let’s get cutting!

First, have to remove all the guts. Not a big deal, as I already drilled the rivets out from adding the on/off switch for the draw fan.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	BADE0F0A-AFFA-4BC2-9BCA-0D420A5D02AB.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.70 MB ID:	624509
    Then add a little square hole!

Click image for larger version  Name:	AE56E29D-0751-44DE-8BA6-988433C92BAE.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.71 MB ID:	624508

Put the guts back in, and run some wires and things

Click image for larger version  Name:	5F7D2A97-3C30-4F7A-854C-CB8BF8A01577.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.06 MB ID:	624510

And we’re done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C72D63B5-E73A-41E8-AE6C-2609C20F509A.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.44 MB ID:	624511

I’m not done with it. I still need to rewire in the on/off switch. And I want to weld nuts inside where the rivets were so I can secure the top to the box.

Theres a thermocouple underneath that replaces the sensing bulb from the dial knob. I’ve ran it on my bench and the draw fan turns on and off under thermostat control and the circulation fan runs constant. Just as I would expect. I haven’t ran it for real yet.

Comment

Neat! We love mods.

Comment

Duuuude! This is sweet. I wish I had that on mine. The dial works fine for me, but this is really cool, and I would much rather have this set up.

Comment

Spinaker if you have a way of putting the square hole in, I can write up a guide. It’s not very difficult if you’re a little handy to be honest. The hard part is the square hole. Could do it with a Dremel and cut off wheel if you take your time. I have access to a mill though so...might as well right?!

The controller is this, $26
          Inkbird ITC 106RH (the RH is important)

Then it’s just a couple connectors and some wire. You might even be able to find something similar that you could mount to the outside. Or put it in a project box. Then just run the wires back in through the holes, and not have to make the square hole.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I think I will give this a try. I have a Dremel that I think I can use to get it done. AS long as you would not mind walking me through the wiring aspect of it.

• Rfuilrez
            Rfuilrez commented
            Editing a comment
            No problem man. It really is very simple (in my mind anyhow). I’ll make up a good guide with pictures and an actual wiring schematic and stuff. I would assume more than just you may want to try this.

Pretty cool

Comment

It’s just like the PID controller on its big brother, the KBQ-400. This is perfect. One of my 2019 goals is to get a KBQ. This is now at the top of the list of mods once I get it!!!

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              How are we looking on that KBQ?

Spinaker Here's the schematics for setting it up (I used yellow instead of white for the neutral line so you could actually see it). When I get a chance later I'll take more pictures of the actual wiring. And I'll do a write up with some step by step etc.

I may get a chance to run it today, if not for sure tomorrow. I'll see how well it works and dial in the settings on the controller itself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 2.46.42 PM.png
Views:	546
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	625086
            (I am not a professional schematic designer, forgive any errors)

Comment

• Timbo54
              Timbo54 commented
              Editing a comment
              Very nice

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks!!!

Nice mod. Those cheap PID controllers are handy. I use one to precisely control/limit a crock pot.
            However, I think using one of those on the KBQ is putting too much precision into something that doesn't need it.

I look forward to how this impacts your fuel use and keeping a good bed of coals.

There are controllers available that one could possibly use on the KBQ without making this mod, I use one of these for a crock pot (I also have their version with the submersible probe):

I'm guessing one could just place that probe in the probe port of the control unit and plug the control unit into the PID controller. Just turn the KBQ thermostat to "11" and let the PID take control of turning the control unit on/off.

Comment

I don’t know if I will set it up as a PID controller. With the constant changing heat output from the coal bed being different in 30 minute cycles. I ran it for 6ish hours today as just an on off controller with a +- 10* hysteresis. It worked pretty well, but I had trouble keeping the KBQ hot due to weather. It was 20ish out and very windy. I took the wind break from my PBC but it’s only big enough to cover 3 sides.

One issue I had was the response time of the thermocouple is very very fast. I’m investigating options. Might be as simple as some clay or something over it to insulate it and make the response time slow. The other option is to use a RTD sensor. This is apparently significantly more accurate (0.01c vs 1c) but also slower. I don’t need the accuracy but slower is good. I’ll try the clay first.

The other issue is the location. I put the TC in the existing hole for the sensing bulb, but it reads significantly different than actual pit temp. I was getting 100* less than the probe port. I calibrated the TC and controller before I installed it. It read within 2* of boiling point when in boiling water. Going to have to find a better place.

Using the linked controller would result in the convection fan also turning off because you’re shutting power off completely to the control box which in undesirable to me, and I would assume most KBQ users.

I do agree that the PID controller I installed is capable of way more precision than the KBQ needs. I just want to be able to see the number it’s set at and, and set it accurately consistently. Also, it’s nice having a built in read out of the current temp and set point you can see from across the patio.

Comment

• Histrix
                Histrix commented
                Editing a comment
                Fair point about the convection fan but I didn't realize you were planning on still running a 10° swing in temp. If trying to hold it within just a degree or two I think the short time the convection fan would be off is of no real significance.

Some folks here are using switches to turn off power to the control box (which also kills the convection fan) in order to avoid sucking ash into the cook box when they want to add wood or fluff the coal bed.

• Rfuilrez
                Rfuilrez commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah this mod isn’t about increasing precision of the temperature so much as I hated the dial knob and how inconsistant it was to set it.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Learning a lot here. Thanks!

Love mods like this!

Comment

So, I had the KBQ running for about 5.5 hours today smoking up some Pastrami. I ran out of wood (oops) so I moved to meat into the oven to finish it off. Which is fine by me because its cold out. Should have enough smoke on it by now.

Anyway, the Inkbird controller works great. I managed to get my hands on one of these RTD-PT100 sensors (for free!!!) to try in place of the thermocouple, and I like it a lot more. The response time is significantly slower. It came with a Thermowell which will slow the response time down even further, and I will use that for my next cook. To install it, I had to drill a hole in the top of the KBQ to accommodate as it's a much larger sensors than the thermocouple.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6195.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	628551
                (I tipped it the other way while I had the cooker going)

I had a lot better results with having the PT100 sensor in this location, and I might see how the thermocouple works in the same spot, though it may not be long enough. When I raised the PT100 so it was only sitting in the air stream, I had similar results as last time with it reading about 40-50* colder than the probe in the port near the draw fan. Once I let it sit onto the metal ductwork inside, I was reading temperatures within 10* of each other. So, I may drill another hole through the ductwork so the PT100 can sit inside the actual cook chamber. I have a feeling that the air moving through the convection area is being cooled enough by the outside panels/air to cause my temperature differences.

Once I get a better feel for where and how things need to be set up, I'll make a more permanent mount for the sensor I choose (PT100 or Thermocouple) And then I'll make a guide for it. I'll have to find a connector too so the sensor can be disconnected from the control box for removal.

All in all though, I'm happy with how its working in the couple cooks I've done with it. I have tightened the Hysteresis up a little bit to a +- 5* swing and set it to a control window of 20s. This seemed to work very well even though it was around 0*F for the whole cook.

Comment

I've got some more cooking under my belt with this PID controller and I'm very happy with it. I started to write a guide for doing it (mostly for Spinaker ). It can be found here. It's not entirely done, but I think it's done enough that some one who is handy enough could follow it and have good results.

The temperature controller I purchased is no longer available on Amazon, but it can be found on Ebay.

Alright, results of my cook. I installed the Thermowell that I had previously talked about, and drilled a hole through the convection duct so that the sensor is inside the cook chamber. Better results than having it in the convection duct, however the thermowell slows the response down much too far so I removed it. I firmly believe the PT100 is a better sensor for the job than the included thermocouple. The response time seems about right, and I have tightened the Hysteresis on the controller up to 1.5*. In practice the KBQ swings more like +- 5* by the time the draw fan starts moving air and stops moving air.

I timed a couple portions of the cook for 7 draw/hold intervals. Results are below. Outside temperature was mid 30s.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 5.59.33 PM.png Views:	1 Size:	79.9 KB ID:	634278

I'm not sure how this compares to the sensing bulb, but it looks good to me.

Aside from permanently installing the sensor on the top of my KBQ, I'm fairly certain I'm done tinkering with this.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is great! As soon as my Dad gets his heater installed back in his shop, inn a few weeks. We are gonna start this up. Thanks again for putting all of this together, I am sure I will have a few questions here and there.

• lostclusters
                    lostclusters commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I may take a stab at this as well!

You could apply for a second job with Bill Karu......

Comment

• lostclusters
                    lostclusters commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ya! I was wondering what KBQ has to say about this mod.

Nice job Rfuilrez , I have wanted to modify the internal controls my KBQ for quite a while. The rivets are and issues - frankly, I am more an electronics/SW/Linux BBQ geek and drilling out rivets with the risk of damage (to me and the KBQ) is a bit higher than yours ;-)

One mod I have thought about - add support for Fireboard to control the fan on the KBQ. One can dream ;-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here