Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wild cherry trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild cherry trees

Hi- I have a lot of wild cherry, bird cherry, or choke cherry on my land. Just so we are together on this, this is the cherry tree that grows mostly on the edges of wood lots, has little fruits there mostly seed and sometimes the branches get black fungus looking growths on them. The caterpillars build nests in them. Is this good to burn in the KBQ?

Fire it up, the little extra protein from the caterpillars is a bonus !! All kidding aside you should be fine, just be sure to season before using.

Comment

Thanks, Troutman!

Comment

Gold Mine! Cherry is probably my favorite wood to use, that and Oak.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          It smells incredible when it is burning. I had such a windfall of free black cherry a year and a half ago, a bunch of nice straight trunks stacked neatly at the edge of my yard by the tree cutting crew next door, I have been using it in my fire pit to get rid of what I don't have room to store under a shelter.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, my Dad had a black cherry go down and I reaped the benefits of that for sure. Steve R.

Don’t use the parts with the black fungus, other than that the wood will be great.

Comment

Thanks for the answers, smokers!

Comment

You will want to dry it for a while of course

Comment

I've used cherry and choke cherry many times, over the years. Cherry is a very versatile smoke wood, as is chokecherry. I don't usually worry about how wet they are, as I'm just cooking, and not striving for haute cuisine. When I lived in areas with this wood, all the scraps went to smoking, and all the bigger pieces went to woodworking.

Currently, I have willow and alder, which I handle the same way. In other words, use what you have in the way it best works for YOU, in YOUR situation. Advice is great, but no one can do your situation better than you.

Try it, use it, and find what you like. That is what makes this culinary journey so damn fun.

Greetings from a cold(-20F) Houston, Alaska.

Comment

I use it quite a bit from my land as well. I also burn it for firewood. The outer white wood tends to rot away out in the weather. The remaining red core is extremely hard and excellent for smoking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here