Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ - Rack Probe Clip Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBQ - Rack Probe Clip Problems

This post is meant as a help for anyone with a KBQ that is having a problem with their temperature probe sliding out of the rack clip when installed on their KBQs rack.

My FireBoard rack clip that holds the temperature probe was bent out of shape over time and would not hold the probe tightly.
    During a cook/smoke, I opened the door of my KBQ to find that the probe had slipped out of the clip.
    I tried bending the clip several different ways to get it to work, but alas, too late, too tired, and too many beers got in the way.
    So... being frustrated, I basically went with a hack that night using a 2" metal binder clip to continue to use the probe.
    -
    After the cook, and with a "clear head" I looked at the "mechanics" of the probe clip, and the width of the KBQ rack wires.
    Next, I took a pair of pliers, and re-shaped the clip.
    It now works well.
    -
    Here are some photos with descriptions to help anyone with this same problem to get "Back in the Groove".
    (As us old-timers would say)

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	615794
    The "Hack" and the very poorly shaped probe clip

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	533.9 KB ID:	615790
    Yeah, this poor clip was really out of shape.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	615793Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	615792
    The KBQ rack wires are 1" apart. The "grip" width of the clip should be about 1-1/8"

Click image for larger version  Name:	Too Wide.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.87 MB ID:	615795
    Too Wide
    At this width, when closed and attached to the rack wires, the probe is loose and will not hold securely.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Just Right.jpg Views:	1 Size:	349.8 KB ID:	615791
    This photo shows the best width after re-shaping the clip.
    Before attaching, it just "rests" on the outside of the wire as shown.
    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; December 30, 2018, 01:50 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here