Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken legs on KBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken legs on KBQ

Any words of wisdom for cooking chicken legs on a KBQ? Will also have two racks of spareribs on there. I generally set the dial at about 7.5 for ribs. Wood options are oak and black walnut.

Thanks

I don't have a KBQ, but ribs are normally cooked low and slow, while chicken is cooked hot and fast. Someone who actually uses one should be here soon.

Comment

I'd set to about 275* with the chicken on the bottom rack (warmest location) and put the ribs highest rack. I like to go half top half bottom poppet for hot and fast. Cook until you reach your desired temperature. Keep in mind the chicken will cook much faster than the ribs so you'll want to put the ribs on quite a while before the chicken. That's my $.02

Comment

Sounds about right Jake- I don’t really have an accurate temp on my kbq as it seems to vary quite a bit. The convection seems to even it out and speed things up. 7.5 doesn’t burn the rib rub so I’d guess it’s about 275. Ribs cook about an hour faster on the kbq than the Rec Tec in my experience. Just curious if anyone had experience with legs.

Comment

Not with legs, but certainly with small chickens. If it were me, I'd set the thermostat to max (~325F) and cook the thighs first. Shouldn't take much more than an hour, if that. Put them somewhere warm ((low oven) but not tightly covered. Then put the ribs in, and throttle the KBQ down to 235 or so. BB ribs generally take 4 hours; spares or STL take 5.

You could reverse the order of that if it works better for you.

Look into a Thermapen Air - it's perfect to drop into the hole near the controller.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Now there's the right answer, plus he actually owns a KBQ

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            EdF nailed it! I'm cooking 2 whole bird tomorrow, when I cook Chicken I set my KBQ to full blast hot and fast.
            Also ditto on the thermometer

• Ricardo
            Ricardo commented
            Editing a comment
            For some reason, a ThermaWorks gadget worked like a charm just for the first hour or so, after that... it went black screen. I thought it was a defect, then concluded it was temperature of the unit itself. Once it cooled off, it came back.
            I switched to a probe ThermoWorks unit, keeping the thermometer away from the KBQ. That worked better... not great, but better.

I haven’t done chicken yet, but EdF suggestion is what I would do. Tackle the chicken first, then the ribs or vice-versa.... The controller box has a port hole for a probe. It’s going to report the coolest temp inside the pit, however, that will give you an idea of what’s going on inside.
          Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here