Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soon to be new KBQ owner with questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soon to be new KBQ owner with questions

I just ordered a Karubecue and read the manual online. I have a few questions that I hope you could answer.
    In the manual, Bill recommends as a "pro tip" PRO-TIP: USE THE FIREBOX LID. IT IMPROVES FLAVOR AND BARK AND REDUCES SPARKING AND FUEL CONSUMPTION. I haven't read much about the lid's use on this site. Any thoughts or recommendations on its use?
    Secondly, when you start a chimney full of lump charcoal and dump that into the firebox to build a coal bed, doesn't that take quite a while to break down to the point that you can start adding wood? How long should I plan for this starting up step to take before I can add wood and place my meat in the cookbox? Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Brian

I always try to keep the lid on the smoker. It is not totally necessary but it does cut down on fuel consumption and it keeps your top poppet from sucking in ambient air. It also helps with spark suppression as well. Use it when you can, but you don't have to have it on all the time.

A good, thick coal bed is just what you want to start the cook. I usually start with about a half a large chimney, then throw on two or three logs. As soon as you add the lump, throw in the wood so the fire can start to work on them. You want the fire to start breaking those logs down into coals.

The sooner you get the wood burning, the better over all coal bed you will have. Start up is really easy, just make sure to use enough lump then add some wood and you should be good to go. Generally, I throw the meat in after about 10-15 mins, that is all you need.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Right with Spinaker on this. I do have the advantage of the BBQ Dragon and Chimney of Insanity, so getting that base going is pretty quick and easy. I've also started the charcoal right in the firebox with a Rutland starter "cube" and used the Dragon to get it rolling sufficiently.

A top poppet sucking in ambient air! That makes my quote of the year list. Cool. 😎

Comment

I second everything Spinaker said, we expect pics of your first cook!

Comment

Thanks for that helpful info. I can't wait to get started.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Pics!

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Of course. Congrats on the new rig. And welcome to the KBQ family,

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome you’re in for some ridiculously great food... pics are essential😋

My Karubecue was delivered (New Jersey) this past Thursday, and I decided to do a simple spare ribs cook for the initial cook. I used Oak Ridge BBQ Dominator rub, lump charcoal start with apple wood after. I got the temps to 225 and in they went. The apple wood burned great and produced a good coal bed, but then I ran out of the apple wood and used some Fruita Woods post oak that I had bought a month ago. It seemed to burn much more slowly, and it would not produce the required coals to maintain the needed coal bed. The cook temps were fine, but I had to supplement the coal bed with small pieces of lump charcoal. Maybe it wasn't seasoned enough. Anyway, the ribs turned out very well but the coal bed issue took a lot more fussing than I would have liked. I only opened the lower poppit for the cleanest smoke, and the meat did have a really pleasant
        smoke flavor. Nest weekend I'll try beef ribs.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Q7DNxAXTSemPYUy7XEHcng.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	543589Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_34.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	543590

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Where in NJ are you?

I've got the Karubecue in Brant Beach on Long Beach Island. So I'll only get to use it on weekends. Rest of the week I'm up in Hillsdale (Bergen County)

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotcha'. Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here