Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody with an Old KBQ? (5 years or so)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody with an Old KBQ? (5 years or so)

Bought a KBQ (might've overpaid, thinking I was buying what was only one version out there).. found out after trying to put it together that it's a piece worthy of inducting into a museum.. said by Bill (maker of the KBQ) after seeing pics and saying that only a handful of these were made..
    Seems like I have a knack/spidey sense for finding originals of cookers (same thing happened with my Englebrecht 1000)

My problem is after doing the lego dance and putting most of it back together (person who sold it really dismantled the unit to send) I can't seem to figure out the firebox and I can't find a PDF on which piece goes where in it.

I've waited on Bill for a couple of weeks and instead of becoming a pain, thought I'd check and see if there were any other dino units hanging out in someones cave..

Here are some pics of the fire box and thanks for the help in advance!

T

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4356.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	495606Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4357.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	495607

When it's all said and done it should look something like this..

Name:	20180331_163343.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	495608

I wish I could help...

Comment

The two pieces with holes look like the grates, perhaps an older and a newer version. It slides in the side of the fire box, resting on both sides. The coal bed rests on it and the ash falls through to the bottom of the box. I don't recognise the other piece, an early version of the top?

I'd take pictures of mine, but it is in use at present.

Comment

Here are some pictures, hope they help.

Top view:

Name:	DSCF1716.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	496076

Lid removed, upside down.

Name:	DSCF1717.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	496071

Top view, grate removed.

Name:	DSCF1718.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	496074

Grate inserted halfway:

Name:	DSCF1719.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	496070

Grate fully inserted:

Name:	DSCF1720.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	496075

Top view of inserted grate:

Name:	DSCF1721.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	496072

Back view:

Name:	DSCF1722.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	496073

Side view, firebox fits into slot on top of pit:

Name:	DSCF1723.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	496077

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Timcee I couldn't see poppet valves on yours, so that is why I included a pic of the backside. The bolts you see push in and out to open or close the valves. You can see both valves in the third pic, top closed, bottom open. Top only in the sixth pic.

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          Timcee BTW, on mine the only parts that come off the firebox are the grate and the lid. Everything else is riveted in place. Note also the upgrade in the grates, I believe Bill had warping issues until he came up with the current configuration.

• Timcee
          Timcee commented
          Editing a comment
          ComfortablyNumb I noticed the valves which is why I took a pic of this firebox below... So this must be a really first mod unit.. Looks like you lift it to get heavy smoke or let it down for no smoke (my thinking) I really appreciate your help.

Like so...

Name:	IMG_4367.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	496491

Name:	IMG_4368.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	496492
        Last edited by Timcee; May 7, 2018, 10:39 PM. Reason: pics weren't showing..

Comment

• Timcee
          Timcee commented
          Editing a comment
          how about now??

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          Timcee Whatever you did fixed it. It appears to me to be a different piece than the original post. It has grown a handle and a hole and lost the tab and the piece of stock. I assume the grate slides in as normal and holds the piece in place? Did it come with a lid? Is there a way to control smoke? As mentioned below, there is not an intake for 'dirty' smoke.

• Timcee
          Timcee commented
          Editing a comment
          ComfortablyNumb The handle etc was actually on the flip side of the 3rd piece in the original post. After speaking with Bill (KBQ) this box had the option of 2 grates with the 2nd (8 hole grate) going with the piece with the handle part. It comes with a lid but I would have to control the smoke pre starting things up. After your advice I'm going to swap out the original designed firebox with Bill

Timcee, the original that you have does NOT have a "Dirty" setting.
        According to what KBQ (Bill Karau) stated, the original had only "Clean" smoke.
        In looking at the photos of your firebox, it is one of those originals with only a clean smoke opening.
        Go to 4:13 in this Video to hear Bill Karau mention this.
        -
        Please note that the Top Poppet on ComfortablyNumb's unit as well as my two, are ABOVE the coals.
        We can add less refined smoke to our cooks by simply opening the Top Poppet.
        You can give your meat similar less-refined smoke by not keeping your coal tray holes covered with hot coals.

Comment

• Timcee
          Timcee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks so much Bill!! After thinking.. I've decided to swap it out so that once I get cooking I won't have to think too much in grate and handle configurations (bc I'm lazy) I hope that I don't regret doing so but that's the chance eh? Appreciate you guys

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here