Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your KBQ sing to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does your KBQ sing to you?

My second run tonight. I'm using much more wood because last nights steak seemed a bit dry and I'm attributing that to cooking too slow with the second fan bringing in tons of fresh(dry) air.
    Tonight it's singing like wind chimes or a ships bell. I can just sense the stainless expanding and contracting against the rivets. It's not glowing hot so I'm not concerned yet. Lol
    Dont hate me because I have steak every night this week. It's research and development. Lol
    Cheers

I am really enjoying the heck out of this smoker. It was a good fit for me. Always loved sitting around a camp fire. Now I get the camp fire and the food cooked all in one. Can't wait for the weekend to do something more substantial.
    Cheers

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Rockin it brother !!!

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      Come to think of it, I HAVE heard the high pitched ringing noises as it heats!
      I have been focusing on the volume of the sound of the "Roar" as the fire is drawn though the coal tray, which is a good sound

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine does it when the lid isn't placed quite right.

I love to slow cook my steaks in the KBQ then sear them over the firebox. We have a few posts on the KBQ has Landed Thread Look at posts 1214-1217. BBQ_Bill and SteinerBBQ show you how its done. Ernest , is also the master at this as well.
    I love that flavor. In my opinion, there is no better flavor on a steak than one cooked over a live oak fire.

BTW, Let's see some pictures of that baby in action!

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      Best steaks I have EVER made were done on and in the KBQ

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5948.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	382708 Tonight's picture

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah dude!!! Send that one over to the "Feed the Flame" Thread! Lets Go!!!!

Name:	IMG_5950.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	382717

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I love taking these.

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      INCREDIBLE looking flame!
      Smoke On!

Glad to see the KBQ found a good home! BTW I mailed your ID today. I found the owners manual and will mail that with the other stuff as well.
    I forgot to tell you the manual says no chemicals or lighter fluid! The pictures look great glad you're enjoying the KBQ.

Comment

• Smokin D
      Smokin D commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got the online manual. Before I read it I used some match light last night. Good and bad thing was that it was a couple years old and took a blowtorch to get lit.
      Thanks for everything!!!
      Cheers

Well this evening I pit the trusted old Traeger grill against the New KBQ. My wife had complained that the KBQ was too smokey and she wasn't going to be able to eat anything cooked on it. She is very leery about strong smoke flavors. I explained to her that the food came out fantastic and the smoke was refined but not overbearing. She agreed to an unbiased showdown.
    The menu was a pair of 1-1/4" Porterhouse steaks. I ran both smokers at 250F until the steaks were at 132F. I reverse seared them on a 500F cast iron griddle for a minute on both sides. Both came out between medium rare and medium. Perfect for my wife.
    Tonights run on the KBQ had the addition of a water pan on the bottom. I feel it really helped to keep the steak moist. The night before last I thought the steak was a bit drier than what I typically make. Last night was better using a deeper bed of coals to keep the outside air minimized. Tonight was a success.
    I personally felt the steak on the KBQ was Better. The smoke flavor was much more complex, but in a smooth well rounded way. My wife felt the KBQ steak had better flavor. I don't think she realizes that the difference was not the meat, but was influenced by the smoke.
    In a nutshell, she gave me the green light to create BBQ goodness for her in the KBQ. I had been worried that she would require me to cook her food in the Traeger. Big success!!
    I will say the Traeger did very well and both steaks were a pleasure to eat. I've been using that Traeger for around 10 years and it shows. I can't wait to taste what I'm turning out 10 years from now in the KBQ.
    Cheers

Comment

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      oh nvm you seared in cast iron!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife dislikes strong smoke too. She has no problem with the KBQ.

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      With a good bed of white Oak coals, and using the bottom poppet only, it would be VERY hard to have anything but a light smoke flavor on the meat in the KBQ cooking chamber.

Great Info. Thanks smokinfatties!!

Comment

Name:	IMG_5959.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	384454 There will be many pounds of KBQ BBQ goodness going on tomorrow. Spent today preparing. Got some brining to do before bed and then up early for a glorious day of BBQing.
      Cheers

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Prime Beef Brisket for $2.89/Pound!
        Woo Hoo!

Ya. I was floored when I saw the price. Was expecting to pay a lot more. Brisket has been crazy for a long time.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        I WAS purchasing a case of Choice packers every other week from my local grocery store for $1.99/LB.
        Am now buying Prime packers from Costco at $3.99/LB.
        My customers are very happy to pay $2.00 more per pound due to the better taste of Prime over Choice.

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        The Brand from my local grocer was Swift.

Let see some pictures of this cook!

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, Smoke that meat!

This was earlier. The chicken turned out fantastic. Tried 2 different commercial rubs. Ended up preferring one by RibRack. Was some of the best chicken I have ever had. The Brisket and the Boston Butt are in a Texas crutch now.
      Cheers
      Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        It's that KBQ color again!

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        The KBQ color always mesmerizes me. I have a whole packer in the fridge was going to do this weekend but wind and cold shut me down. Seeing that color is making me hungry.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah Bouuuuuy! Looking good SD!

You got it right EdF That color is all KBQ.

Wanted to express my gratitude to Bill for going above and beyond to get me the door hinge and handle kit here so quickly. I was expecting one used bolt per your ad. Blown away that you sent what appeared to be all new parts. Came in time for today's KBQ action.
      Many thanks for a great product and awesome service.
      Cheers Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5961.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	384988

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you kindly my friend.
        Yes, my new stock arrived in time to ship all new parts and I didn't have to "Cannibalize" my KBQ for parts.
        Again, any concerns regarding this kit, I am here for you.

Bill's KBQ kit is da bomb! I would've been forced to do some 'African engineering' to get anything near as useful.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the great compliment bbqncigars, much appreciated my friend.

Well, I decided to call Bill Karau today to ask a few questions. He was away from the phone and it went to voice mail. I figured that I would just email when I got home, so I hung up without leaving a message.
      Lo and behold while I was grocery shopping, my phone rang and there on the other end was Bill from KBQ.
      I was a little bit off guard, but soon at ease. What a great experience. Superior customer service to say the least. Even though I mentioned that I purchased mine used from another member, Bill treated me like I came and purchased it from him directly. He took the time to answer every one of my questions. I have to say, I came up with a few more questions than I had planned on. None the less, he patiently and enthusiastically answered every one.

I have been been having an absolute blast cooking on my KBQ. I've done Wagyu Brisket, Short ribs, Boston Butts, Spatchcock chickens, Steaks, Brats, and darn near anything I can find. I've fired it up every weekend since I've gotten it. My wife is begging for a break. Lol
      My friends at work are rejoicing in their good fortune.

A big thank you to Bill at KBQ!!
      Cheers
      Last edited by Smokin D; October 23, 2017, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here