Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cursed KBQ Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cursed KBQ Day

Last weekend (Memorial Day), the forecast was for rain and thunderstorms and on through the week.
    It turned out it only stormed overnight on Saturday. Not a drop all week.

Determined to make cook #3 on my KBQ, on a sunny hot Friday I bought my ribs and little hunk of brisket.
    Saturday the forcast kept changing, but it looked like we were going to escape rain until much later. I started the pit.

About two hours in, a few spatters of sprinkles came through. No big deal. Then the storm swung in. The pictures probably speak for themselves. My wife suggested we move the sunbrella from the pool, but I was sure we were going to miss the rain. That didn't happen. I went for the only umbrella I could find in the house. Yup. That's me standing there keeping the rain out of the firebox and the fan unit. Even my beer was out of reach. I am cursing the sky. (At least it isn't cold today, 80's).

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-03 15.58.28.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	327898

After the rain lightened up, my wife stood in for umbrella duty while I went to the pool and lugged over the sunbrella.

This worked well for what I hope was the remainder of the storm today...

Name:	2017-06-03 16.13.15.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	327899

This went better. Though I am now soaked, my beer is still our of reach, but that can be remedied. The rain had just about subsided some 15-20 minutes later, when I heard a "pop", and the sunbrella collapsed. The cord inside (it is about 6 years old now) apparently broke. Part of it came down on the firebox, but no fire ensued and I got the blasted thing out of the stand. If the BBQ gods are unkind again today. I will have to resort to the little umbrella, or try to find a way to rig the sunbrella in the open position. (Sigh). I drug it away from the pit so it wouldn't catch fire.

Name:	2017-06-03 16.32.24.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	327900

I need a covered area for my Pit. That is going to happen this summer. I need a beer. But the BBQ goes on!

Hang in there! It will be worth it! There is nothing a man wouldn't do for his KBQ! And a beer!

Comment

I hope all goes well fer ya', this time, Mettius !!!
      Havin' been there on cooks, I find this to be one of th' best posts I've ever read!

Comment

Sorry about the weather! But you're cooking, man! On a KBQ! I'm sure it will end up great.

Comment

As time passes, it will become more amusing, and then the basis of some GREAT stories/legend!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            About how you should listen to the wifey. Mine read it and was sniggerin' ;-)

• JCGrill
            JCGrill commented
            Editing a comment
            I find that things get worse and worse every time I tell a story like this. Amirite?

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Sometimes, JCGrill , I hardly recognize the story, depending on who the storyteller is! LOL

Rough run at it today, eh?
          If it starts to rain when the KBQ is running, I throw a Lodge Cast Iron Griddle over the control box. I make sure the lid is on the firebox too, but the rain won't hurt that sucker, so I let her buck.
          As long as it isn't a hard, driving rain, you will be just fine. Hell, I even used a cedar plank one time, when I was cooking at my Dad's place. It worked fine!
          Keep calm, Smoke on!

Comment

Wow! Determined BBQ! Way to go sticking it out!

Comment

Name:	tmp_15503-2017-06-03 19.14.12627315226.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	328009 Well... looks like another storm front is rolling towards us. Lucky day!
              I drilled a hole in the shaft of the Sunbrella and shoved an allen wrench in it. (Thanks Youtube). Hopefully it won't be a high wind event and the BBQ may yet make it.
              Last edited by Mettius; June 3, 2017, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Wishing you th' best of luck (an' weather), Mettius !!!
                Have a Happy Cook, Amigo!

Comment

I bet the food will taste great though.

Comment

Man, just looking at your photos I can see a severe case of MCS.

Comment

My wife said, "He's holding the umbrella over the smoker while his wife stands in the rain taking pictures." I replied, "Yes, a man who has his priorities in order." It appears I'm sleeping outside tonight.....

Congratulations on your determination.

Comment

• kmhfive
                        kmhfive commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hope no rain nearby for the night!

Next week: plague of locusts!

Comment

• Mettius
                        Mettius commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Lol!

If only you had got a real stick or log burner instead....

Comment

• Mettius
                        Mettius commented
                        Editing a comment
                        ??

• DWCowles
                        DWCowles commented
                        Editing a comment
                        hehehehe

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Let them have their fun, Mettius !

Well, the ribs were good. They were very very juicy, if a tad less cooked than we like (more of the almost falling off the bone type) smoke ring wasn't as pronounced as on the last cook, but flavor was great. All said and done, about 4 hours 45 min on the ribs, they were a St. Louis cut weighing in at 3.5 lbs.

I think I got the salt right this time. Last two rib cooks seemed like they needed more. It occured to me that I had switched to Diamond Crystal Kosher salt, and I used to use Morton. Looks like the rule of thumb here on Amazing ribs was based on Morton Kosher salt. Diamond Crystal is courser than Morton, so it weighs less by volume. I pulled out the scale and did things by weight rather than volume. I think that fixed it.

After the third storm rolled in and it being 10:45 PM, I decided to call it and pull the brisket to finish in the kitchen oven. The bark already looks pretty good so I hope it'll turn out. Internal temp on the Brisket is still in the high 170's, so I guess it has a while to go yet.

Ribs:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	2017-06-03 19.59.04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	328141

Brisket, only weighing in at 2.15 lbs, I really really expected to cook faster.
                      Here it is about to go into the oven to finish...

Or not... Hmm, forum software is barfing when I try to upload. That keeps happening. Kind of annoying.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here