Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New KBQ, a trailer of apple wood, and some nervous hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New KBQ, a trailer of apple wood, and some nervous hogs

My new KBQ arrived Friday via FedEx, ThermoWorks Smoke and Thermopop via UPS, all just after I came home with a trailer loaded with organic apple wood. I unpacked the KBQ, discovered FedEx had 'customised' the cook box with some cosmetic damage. I sent Bill an email on Saturday and he telephoned back, much to my surprise, within an hour and took care of it. Unfortunately I'm working all week out of town right now so don't have time to play with it all, but one of my co-workers owns the orchard and has two more trailer loads of apple, cherry and pluot for me, so I'll stock up with wood in the meanwhile. My smoking experience is limited, just used a neighbour's propane Mastercraft with chips to do AR's maple bacon recipe, however I'm very excited to get to it with wood. When I do I'll share the experience with all of you. Until then I'll glean as many pearls of wisdom from all you and and AR. -- James

Click image for larger version  Name:	zDSCF1155.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.92 MB ID:	325364

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_39275.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	325365

Click image for larger version  Name:	zDSCF1143.JPG Views:	1 Size:	8.72 MB ID:	325367

Click image for larger version  Name:	zDSCF1150.JPG Views:	1 Size:	9.87 MB ID:	325368

Bacon seeds, just add grain, grass, and water!!
    Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; May 28, 2017, 11:16 PM.

Them little piggees are so cute. I used to tease them with little trails of corn. Then one day I put in nose rings, and one day I grabbed them by the ear and front leg so they could be castrated, then one day I loaded them in a trailer to bring to the slaughterhouse. Seems the corn trail was the highlight of their life.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a saying: They start out cute and end up tasty!

Nice looking cooker! Can't wait to see it in action.

Comment

Getting a KBQ? Nice! So frustrating with the transportation damage though. Great service from Bill, helping out on a Saturday. You'll be very happy with the KBQ no doubt.

Comment

• JGrana
      JGrana commented
      Editing a comment
      I had a similar FedEx customization. Very minor. Like ComfortablyNumb, I emailed Bill and he called me quickly. Bill was understandably frustrated by such careful packaging. Offered to have me send the box back. A little hammering with some 2X4's and it was good to go! Great service!

Congrats! Bacon and ribs seeds in that pic.

Comment

Nice score on the Apple wood!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        Editing a comment
        I have been working in Omak for UPS driving truck to Spokane and back every night driving past thousands of acres of orchard. I asked the delivery drivers if they knew any that had apple wood and one of them owns an organic orchard. I paid $150 for the wood, loaded for me.

Congrats on your KBQ! Let's get smoking!

Comment

Congrats on the KBQ and the wood! Nice pork seeds..

Comment

Congrats on the new cooker. I'm sure you will love it from everything I've heard here. It looks like you have enough wood there to last at least several weeks.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            Good to know, I was thinking a few days!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_39855.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.83 MB ID:	329345 Brought home second trailer of wood. I was told he would have three loads for me, now he estimates he'll have three more. So I'm dragging the trailer back to Omak today. Still pressed for time, I've decided I can't wait to pop the cherry on the KBQ, so we have a chicken defrosting and I'm going to pick up some tri-tip as a butcher shop in Tonasket. This Saturday I'll light the fuse.

Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; June 6, 2017, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• JGrana
            JGrana commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! That is some load of wood. Is that Cherry or Apple? You are going to be a very busy guys cutting it down to KBQ size and splitting some of the larger pieces. Nice early summer work.
            You are blessed!

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            Most of what you see there is apple, a small bit of cherry mixed in. Trailer is back at orchard now getting refilled, pluot and cherry wood coming, along with more apple.

Third load showed up last week, included apple and pluot.

Name:	DSCF1157.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	446.9 KB
ID:	332944

Cut some up for the maiden voyage:

Name:	DSCF1168.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	456.8 KB
ID:	332945

Comment

And now the fun begins! Rubbed up a tri tip:

Name:	DSCF1159.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	332956

Fired it up:

Name:	DSCF1162.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	332957

Dialed it in:

Name:	DSCF1165.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	332958

Fed the box:

Name:	DSCF1171.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	332959

Let her burn:

Name:	DSCF1166.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	332960

Finished over the firebox:

Name:	DSCF1176.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	332961

Cut it up:

Name:	DSCF1177.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	332962

I don't have to tell you what happened next!! <burp>

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks like an epic tri-tip!

Dude!!!! Love both the KBQ and the Huge Pile of Apple!

I smell and epic thread coming this way...

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              The brisket is aging......

• PaulstheRibList
              PaulstheRibList commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes! I always have Prime Briskets aging in the cooler!
              #WellDone

Awesome new toy to play with, I'm sure those bacon seeds are shaking now.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              Not yet. But come early autumn.......

There's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and we're wearing sunglasses.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here