Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New KBQ owner - sharing a small modification that I love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New KBQ owner - sharing a small modification that I love

Howdy,

I upgraded from a PBC to a KBQ this spring. I loved the PBC, but decided I wanted a "stick burner" after reading the Franklin BBQ book. I did not want the fire tending complexity of an offset smoker, so went with the KBQ. I have not been disappointed in any way with the KBQ, it is completely as advertised. I've got ribs, chicken and sausage pretty dialed in at this point, and just really enjoy using this smoker.

The small modification that I made to my KBQ is to simply connect the power cord thru a 120 volt switch. This allows me to turn off the fans when I want to add wood, or check whatever I'm smoking, without touching the thermostat setting to do so. This also prevents the fan from sucking ash into the smoker if it happens to turn on while I'm adding wood. It just makes the smoker even easier to use.

Anyway, just thought I'd share, and I'm interested in what mods other KBQ owners have made. I'm considering adding a PID controller to be able to directly dial in the temperature inside the smoker - anyone already done this?

Thanks,
    Paul

Not a bad idea. I have one of those foot switch things that I use with my Blackstone Pizza Oven.

I've never found it to be a problem to add wood or stir the coals while the exhaust fan is off. I never bother changing the thermostat setting when adding wood or opening the door either.

I don't see any real advantage to modding the KBQ to use a PID. There really is no need to force the fans on the KBQ to hold a tighter temperature range than it already does. The KBQ holds temp no different than a ktichen oven - a 15° swing above/below the set point all averages out in the end.

Comment

• KARB2014
      KARB2014 commented
      Editing a comment
      The only reason I could see to add a PID would be to always see what the temp is with out have to use a thermo. Also to set a number and not have to "eye ball" a dial. You could still have the PID cycle 15 degs swings.

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that to add a PID you'd have to open up the sealed control box. Doing so would likely void the warranty.

• KBQ
      KBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Just found this. Those in-line PIDs are for resistive heating elements, not inductive elements like motor windings. There's no zero-crossing detection or snubber in the circuit, so the motors are exposed to all sorts of voltage transients. May work, may not. Will definitely void the warranty!

The PID would just make it so that you would not have to fiddle at all to get the actual temp where you wanted it. Not to change the temp swings, as I think those are fine. You could tighten up the swings, but that was not my desire.

Yeah, I'm sure it would void the warranty - good point.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here