Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Karubecue c60 temperature determination and control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karubecue c60 temperature determination and control

I am thinking about buying the Karubecue c60 but am concerned that there is no way to insert a meat probe into the meat due to the desired integrity of the front door seal. Any thoughts from anyone who owns one?

Probes can also be threaded through two small holes in the upper front corners of the cook box. Read my review: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/smoker/karubecue-c-60-pit

Comment

Thanks. That was quick.

Comment

pncboy85 Not to differ with Max on this one. But I could not get my maverick probes through the corners on my C-60, for the life of me. They just would not fit. However, You can easily thread your probe though the spot where the firebox passes smoke and heat to the cook box. it then runs down the louvers and to your desired spot. This works very well. Just be carful when you pull the meat out to check it.
        To be honest, I don't even use them any more. I know about when to spot check with my Thermapen. The KBQ is thermostatically controlled so you don t really need the smoker temp probe.
        PS: You will love the KBQ.

Comment

Like Max said there is a hole in each corner of the cookbox to place a temperature probe in. At first I had the same problem Spinaker alluded to. The probe wouldn't go completely through the hole. I took an awl to each corner and slightly enlarged the holes. Now the probes fit perfectly. I highly recommend the KBQ. It's the most fun cooker I've ever used.

Comment

I have the iGrill2 thermometer, and while the probes fit through the holes in the upper corners, they would not pass through due to the curve of the probe end. However, I was able to gently bend the probe just enough to straighten it out, and got it to work.

Echo want everyone else says, if you are thinking of getting the KBQ, do it now! Even if your probe won't fit, you need to tend to the fire every 20-45 minutes, so you just need to open the door every so often and check the meat. The KBQ gets back up to temp extremely quickly, so shouldn't impact the cook.

Comment

If you're using a KBQ with a one or two channel temp display, where do you put the temp display unit? Does the fan unit box stay cool enough to set electronics on top?

Comment

• badf00d
                badf00d commented
                Editing a comment
                Good questions.

Dumbo here. Is this strictly a smoker or can it "cook" as well?

Comment

• TripleB
                TripleB commented
                Editing a comment
                The KBQ is a convection oven that uses wood as it's heat source. So you are strictly cooking with wood, but you can temper down the smoke by just using the bottom poppet.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh it can cook for sure. The cleaner you want the smoke, cook with the bottom poppet open. And cook hotter.

To echo Spinaker, I don't use temp probes with my KBQ, I know when to probe for temp with my Thermapen. And you'll love the KBQ. I have a KBQ and a Jambo and I rarely use the Jambo anymore because the KBQ is so easy to use. Recommend getting the kill switch. That way you don't get a face full of smoke when you open the door to check, mop, etc.

Comment

When I used to use a thermometer with the KBQ, I put a probe in the meat and an air probe on a shelf. When I closed the door, I would gather the wires to the top corner and the small hole at the top of the door would close on them. Once I had the experience with it, I ceased using them. I only use the stock thermometer for the air temp, and use an instant read to check the meat. Remember, opening the door of the KBQ is no big deal, once you close the door the cook box quickly come back to temp.

As for where to put the display unit, on top of the control box is fine. Or a table set beside the KBQ if you are concerned.

What do you mean by 'cook'? Think of the KBQ as the oven in your house, anything you cook in that will cook in the KBQ. If you want to grill, get the grate that fits the top of the fire box. I put frozen patties in the KBQ to smoke, then sear them on the grate. You can do the same with steaks or chops. I grill corn on the grate as well. Put a cast iron pan on the grate and you have a griddle.

Comment

• Sid P
                  Sid P commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just to clarify, the grate is currently included when you buy a new KBQ, although that hasn’t always been the case.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here