Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make KBQ more mobile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make KBQ more mobile?

Hello everyone,

Love my KBQ & appreciate everyone here sharing tips, knowledge & experiences.

I’ve recently moved to a 55 & over community & out house is on a golf course. I need to store my KBQ along side the house & “roll” it out onto
    lawn to cook, then “roll” back. I put quotes around roll because it doesn’t really roll on the thick course grass.

I’d sure love to find a way to make it more mobile and a tad taller. I was considering adding angle iron to extend bottom legs and somehow adding larger fatter wheels. Realizing that build is probably over my head and beyond my skill level, I’m considering sone type of cart.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance?
    JD

Not a KBQ owner here ... but if I were in your shoes, I'd look to build or buy (then adapt as necessary to fit the KBQ) something along these lines:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grilla AT Cart.webp
Views:	388
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1342526

Comment

Would a hand truck work? That and a small folding table might get you where you want to be. Of course, that would only work if the KBQ is light enough to pick up.

Comment

I use a garden wagon. Attach KBQ legs to bottom of wagon for stability.

Comment

See if this photo posts.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            no pic

Looking at one of these:
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jeffdavidson; December 12, 2022, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• ddevine
            ddevine commented
            Editing a comment
            This is the wagon I used that I could not post the photo. I left the sides on and I bolted it to the expanded metal floor using existing holes in the KBQ feet along with fender washers. I mounted it on one end with the door facing out. I remove the end side to access the smoker door. The photo posted by Jeff Davidson is an option to remove all sides. I may just do that also. The only minus is it puts the firebox at eye level and makes it a bit harder to fill with hot coals. Big wheels, easy move

I like the idea of the garden wagon. I would think that would work okay for wheeling back and fourth. Just watch the coals on the wheels. You can remove the facrotiy wheels from the KBQ, and then bolt the legs down to the wagon. You might have to build a plate to attach to the wagon and then to the KBQ. You can easily make this out of wood.

For me, I would fab something out of steel in the shop, but I am guessing that is more work than you want to do at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by MBMorgan View Post
            Not a KBQ owner here ... but if I were in your shoes, I'd look to build or buy (then adapt as necessary to fit the KBQ) something along these lines:

Name:	Grilla AT Cart.webp
Views:	388
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1342526
            https://www.grillagrills.com/products/pro-cart
            Thanks!
            That's pretty bad ass. I like the stability it would afford. The top frame would probably get in the way of the door. I wish I was handier.
            JD

Comment

I really like the wagon option, especially the all terrain wheels. I'd probably block the wheels while cooking to preventing it from moving when adding or removing food.
              The only thing I'd need to do, like spinaker and device said, would be to figure out how to attach the KBQ to the cart.
              Spinaker, I see what you mean about protecting the tires from hot coals, they'd certainly have the potential burn through the rubber, or at least compromise it. I'd probably need to place something over the to protect the ones near the firebox, like fenders.
              Thanks everyone!
              JD

Comment

• ddevine
                ddevine commented
                Editing a comment
                Remove the KBQ wheels and use bolts with fender washers through the wheel holes and through the expanded metal floor of the cart. Holds it very well.

Add wheels

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                It’s got wheels just two small ones though

• jjdbike
                jjdbike commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks bbqLuv,

I would if I knew how. They must be large enough to navigate thick uneven grass and gravel.
                Any suggestions?
                JD

Go to Amazon and find a dolly.

Comment

• jjdbike
                jjdbike commented
                Editing a comment
                Good thought, thanks for sharing.
                I've considered that. I don't see it holding up to the heat. Plus, I'm not sure it would stay on while pushing over landscaping edging, rough uneven grass and gravel.
                Thanks,
                JD

• TripleB
                TripleB commented
                Editing a comment
                jjdbike a dolly with large wheels/tires will work fine. I use one on my gravel, uneven grass, etc.

Home Depot has something similar for $109.99: https://www.homedepot.com/p/GORILLA-...R400/206998666

Name:	338DC77B-49F2-42E5-9E80-2BA864DBE702.png
Views:	346
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	1342719

Comment

I don't have a KBQ yet, but I was thinking of this from Harbor Freight when I do. The sides are removable.

Name:	image.png
Views:	309
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	1342793

Comment

I’d forgotten about Harbor Freight. I really like the looks of this one for $99.99. You’re not paying for the sides. https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...gon-60359.html

Name:	670F30CC-9C99-497F-9F8E-83389D5C3D5C.png
Views:	328
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	1342807

Comment

Originally posted by Sid P View Post
                    I’d forgotten about Harbor Freight. I really like the looks of this one for $99.99. You’re not paying for the sides. https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...gon-60359.html

Name:	670F30CC-9C99-497F-9F8E-83389D5C3D5C.png
Views:	328
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	1342807
                    Perfect!
                    Thanks!
                    JD

Comment

• Sid P
                      Sid P commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Enjoy! I’m trying to make my KBQ more accessible, so I might just get one for myself.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here