Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! - Considering a KBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! - Considering a KBQ

A little back ground to lead into my question concerning consideration of the KBQ. Several years ago I switched from a Blaz'n Pellet Grill over to a Stainless Steel Drum Smoker. Like most folks I enjoyed the set it and leave it convenience of the pellet grill but always felt the food tasted similar to what I could have achieved in an oven. My wife, my friends and I love the food I produce on the Drum Smoker (I feel that the grease dripping from the meat on the coals adds a special flavor) but the meat lacks that Stick Burner Flavor. I would also add that once you get the drum temperature regulated it is almost as forgiving to cook on as was the pellet grill. I gave the pellet grill to my son.

Most of you are KBQ Owners. I would suspect that in a majority of situations you probably previously owned other smokers. Have any of you moved to a KBQ from a drum smoker? If you have made that switch would you please explain the differences in the food produced with the KBQ versus the Drum?

Thanks in advance!

The kbq is capable of producing just about any smoke profile/flavor you are looking for. It uses two valves in the firebox to add smoke to the cook box from under and above the fire (clean and dirty smoke). By default (bottom/clean smoke poppet open only) the kbq produces a smoke profile similar to a pellet smoker. But by opening the top poppet and adding dirty smoke, you can achieve a smoke profile similar to a conventional stick burning smoker or drum cooker.

You usually do not run charcoal in the kbq once the fire has been rolling a while. And most of the smoke is pulled through the coals so it is cleaner. With experimenting I would say you could achieve a similar smoke profile as a drum smoker. The only down side of a kbq is it uses a lot more wood to cook then any other cooker. If this is not an issue to you, you should be happy with a kbq.

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate your insight and description of the KBQ system. But I have both the KBQ and a large offset. The offset takes larger splits than the KBQ and I have to feed the KBQ more often. But I do not find that the KBQ takes “a lot more wood”. Maybe a bit more because the offset’s firebox is double walled. But have not really noticed a difference in wood consumption between the two. IMHO.

Bigfish8 I have a PBC, Bronco Pro, Yoder Pellet, Kamado Joe and a KBQ to name a few. I also frequently cook on my sons Yoder offset. (Yes I have the MCS disease). I use my different cookers depending on the flavor profile I'm going for. My most used cooker is my PBC I really do like its flavor and ease of use as you stated it's basically set and forget. That being said when I'm cooking something special my KBQ comes out and in MHO it develops the best smoke flavor of any including my sons offset. It is more time consuming than my other pits but when I have the time to feed it it 's my favorite because I do enjoy managing the fire. I've tried many different types of wood in it and I've pretty much settled on oak. I cannot imagine anyone that who understands you will need to have a supply of wood available and you will need to feed it not loving the food and experience it provides. The KBQ has landed thread will provide you with a plethora of information and I highly advise you read through it. Hope this help with your decision.

Comment

Help? Just do it!

Comment

I’ve noticed in BBQ competitions that competitors are using more and more drum smokers than offsets. And it’s not because drum smokers are cheaper.

lostclusters did a great job of explaining the use of the poppets. You can get great smoke flavor on the KBQ. Here are a few other things that, IMHO, set the KBQ apart from other offsets (the KBQ is an offset):
        1. It has an automatic temperature controller (ATC). It’s not as precise as a fireboard or BBQ guru, but it’s 20-30 range works just fine.
        2. The firebox is on the outside. All you have to do is make sure the coal bed is good and that you’ve got light wood. You don’t have to open the firebox door to check and get a face full of smoke.
        3. You can put in a kill switch so that when you do open the chamber door, again you don’t get a face full of smoke. The kill switch turns off the fans (KBQ also operates as a convection oven).
        4. Small foot print compared to other offsets and easy to clean. Watch out for the sharp, stainless steel edges.

Comment

Buy it

Comment

Love my KBQ. I no longer fear briskets or beef ribs. The flavor from smoking on a KBQ is spot on.
            It does require a "Labor of Love". Tending every 20 mins or so. Cutting wood to KBQ Size.
            But, when cooking anything that you want a nice smoke profile (you can adjust stronger or lighter), it can't be beat.

BTW, if you have a pellet pooper or something like a BGE, for long cooks like beef short ribs, pork but or brisket you can always KBQ for 4-6 hours and move over to a more "low maintenance" cooker for the final show.

I inherited a Treager when I bought a different house. For ribs/chicken - all KBQ. For longer cooks like brisket - it's KBQ for 5 hours then on to the Treager for the final cook.
            Last edited by JGrana; December 9, 2022, 08:13 PM. Reason: Added move over to another cooker

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here