Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bustin Out The KBQ./ First Fireboard Cook/Black Ops Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bustin Out The KBQ./ First Fireboard Cook/Black Ops Question

Winter is over and the endless spring rains have temporarily abated, so it’s time to bust out the dormant since November KBQ. I’ll also be using my Fireboard 2 for the first time. First up is a rack of baby backs with a Honey Garlic/MMD rub, and a 4# choice boneless chuckie rubbed with Oakridge Black Ops Brisket Rub.

I’ve heard lots of great reviews of Black Ops, but haven’t ever used it or eaten anything smoked with it, so I’m pretty excited about it! Which brings up the question: Is there enough salt in it that I don’t need to add any? You can see below that I put a pretty decent layer on. They’re rubbed and in the fridge, but I’m not firing up the smoker until mid-morning tomorrow, so there’s plenty of time for y’all to guide me. Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sid P; May 30, 2022, 06:19 AM.

Good Luck, I will be putting on a chuck today also

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, good luck!

We’re rolling!
    Attached Files

Comment

I think you got yourself a great day going on.
      Iv’e used Black Opps brisket rub a couple of times. It’s been a while so I don’t remember the flavor profile. But I definitely don’t remember it being bad. So most likely it’s really good. And if memories serve me correctly, highly unlikely though 😳🤔😁 There’s plenty of salt in the rub so no dry brining is needed.
      Good luck with your cook. It’s always fun tending a live fire. 🔥

Comment

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Steve. No one else offered an opinion, so I went with it. Spinaker must be out in the woods.
        Last edited by Sid P; May 30, 2022, 10:32 AM.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        You should definitely be good to go with the Black Ops. I was gonna tag Spinaker But I know he’s always busy on holidays. He’s got lots of family. A good thing for sure.

2.5 hours in, and the chuckie looks very dry, so I’ll be spritzing from now on.
      Attached Files

Comment

I have done several briskets with the Black Ops and they turned out very good. Looked like a meteor landed in my smoker.

Comment

• Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll keep my fingers crossed. I applied the rub last night, and I wish I’d thought to start spritzing right when I put them on.

Almost time for lunch. The pics are right before saucing, and after applying Meathead’s KC Classic, which is amazing, and much better than anything I’ve bought at the store.
        Attached Files

Comment

They’re off, but too hot to eat. The longest 15 minutes of the day….
          Attached Files

Comment

Lunch was served 20 minutes ago, and was delicious.
            Attached Files

Comment

Yeah I never add any salt after black Ops. Looks like you nailed it though.

(Sorry for the late reply, I’m in Baja doing a two week camping trip through the desert and coastal towns!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
                Yeah I never add any salt after black Ops. Looks like you nailed it though.

(Sorry for the late reply, I’m in Baja doing a two week camping trip through the desert and coastal towns!!)
                Thanks, I figured you were somewhere in the great outdoors. The bark was great, but the interior was too "pot roasty". I think I’ll stick with brisket from now on.

Enjoy your trip!

Attached Files

Comment

Sid P What was the verdict on the black ops rub?

You said the bark was good (looks great in pic). What was the flavor profile like ? I’m thinking of branching out from my trusty SPG and can get the oakridge rub locally. I also saw someone mention somewhere it had a lot of sugar in it which I’m a little dubious about putting on an expensive wagyu brisket. Other option is something like Hardcore Carnovore Black rub (has s charcoal in it) or staying with tried and true.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Hey Cal,

The Black Ops was fine, but I wouldn’t call it amazing or anything. I’ll probably stick with S&P going forward, or maybe put some garlic in the mix.

Comment

Thanks that’s helpful. I think I’ll skip the black ops for the brisket and maybe try some on some beef ribs in the future before committing to a brisket.
                      I am quite motivated to find something exceptional that’s not SPG (which I really like) to mix things up. commercial rubs have left me underwhelmed in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by CALNZ View Post
                        Thanks that’s helpful. I think I’ll skip the black ops for the brisket and maybe try some on some beef ribs in the future before committing to a brisket.
                        I am quite motivated to find something exceptional that’s not SPG (which I really like) to mix things up. commercial rubs have left me underwhelmed in the past.
                        You’re welcome. I’m going to try the rub in this video at some point. He makes the rub at 4:17.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here