Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you clean & does it impact flavor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you clean & does it impact flavor?

Hello all,
    Loving my KBQ. First cook was three big ole' prime chuck roasts. Treated them like brisket. Just did two 8 - 9lb Duroc pork butts yesterday. Both cooks came out great. This KBQ cooks fast and creates amazing bark.
    Between smoke, drips, and especially spritzing, I made a mess.
    How often do you clean your KBQ?
    Does how cleaning, or not, impact the flavor of food?
    Thanks in advance!
    JD

How often do I clean

I clean my KBQ after every use the next day. I don't do a deep cleaning, just clean up any grease in the bottom of the smoker, wipe down the walls, wipe down the rack holders and racks, empty the fire box and vacuum it out, wrap the controller in plastic wrap and store in the tool shed.

Does cleaning impact the flavor of the food

No idea and I can't believe that it would.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Not cleaning may impact flavor, I think.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      bbqLuv - I would think so, but I wouldn't know. I always clean my grills after use.

Clean grill grates, replace foil in drip tray, for every cook, mostly after, but sometimes before. Vacuum every 3rd cook or so. Check grease trap frequently.
    Burnt charred bits from past cooks may affect flavor. IMHO.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; May 15, 2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

I cook on SS racks on top of disposable Al pans so I never have residue on my actual cooker.

Comment

As per Bill;
        ​​​​​​MAINTENANCE, Cleanup your pit before a cook instead of after it.
        The KBQ C-60's Thermostats designed maximum set point, 310 Deg. F., is based up on the burn point of grease, current cook or previously accumulated. As this will impart undesirable flavor, dependent up on the products exposure over the duration of the cook.

For additional information concerning cooker cleanliness;

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/aar...0cleans%20them.

​​​​​​https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/bar...soned-smokers/

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are great articles. I like to keep my BBQ’s pretty clean. I’m definitely not a fanatic but I cook for others and aesthetics matter.

I hose mine out before use. I try to use drip pans and foil to minimize grease accumulation. For deep cleaning (when I feel it is getting too dirty) I use oven cleaner and a scrub brush then hose out.

I do put the racks through the dishwasher after each use.

Comment

I use standard sized, stainless steel hotel pans, to catch all of the drippings from the cooks I am doing. This keeps things pretty clean inside.

After each cook, I take the racks out and spray them with HD oven cleaner. Let that sit and then I will hit it with a power washer or hose. I like to keep the inside of the cook box really clean, if I can.

If you let the drippings sit in the smoker, it will mold and create a nasty environment. So it is always nice to keep things clean. However, it is not crucial to keep it spotless. 304 Stainless steel will clean up like new, so I like to keep mine that way.

I will clean the control box once a month or when the fans get really dirty. I remove the fan blades and soak them in a pot of boiling, hot, soapy water. This removes all the gunk and keeps them nice and clean. You can spray the control box with oven cleaner too, just be careful that you do not allow it to drip down into the control box. I tend to spray the box, then let it sit upright to avoid this. Let the oven clean work on the controls box, then wipe clean after an hour or so.

Comment

I’ve had my KBQ for 2 years now. I love it. I take it to the do it yourself car wash to clean it. Spray it in and out with oven cleaner. Let it sit while I wash my truck. Then wash the pit..you need a long handle brush to get in the space at the top and the chimney down the back.

I use a steam table pan in the bottom to catch the grease. All the mess stays inside the pit.. clean the pan after every smoke.
            Last edited by GWR357; May 16, 2022, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here