Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fave pit thermometer & meat probes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fave pit thermometer & meat probes?

Hey folks,
    I have a Flame Boss 500 that I use for my BGE.
    I have a "new to me" KBQ that I’ll fire up for the 1st tube this weekend.
    I’m kind of OCD. That along w/ being new to this pit, I’d like as much info - feedback as possible during the cook. Obviously I don’t need and cannot use any type of additional fan controller like the Flame Boss. That being said, I sure love to know what the internal pit temp is at grate level & the internal temps of what I’m cooking.
    What pit thermometer & meat probes do you like with the KBQ?
    Thanks in advance!
    JD

It depends on how much I am cooking. A Smoke two or four.

Comment

I'm delighted with the SnS-500, which has four probes (two for cooker temps, two for the meat) that plug into a base unit, which in turn transmits in RF to a remote unit. It's not a controller, just a monitor, but you can carry around the remote unit in a shirt pocket and it's great to have four measurements simultaneously. (I did lab science for my career before becoming a full time bureaucrat, so I'm right there with ya on wanting lots of data.) The AR review of the unit is pretty glowing (what prompted me to buy it in fact).

Also a big fan of the Meater+ wireless probe, but those have to be inserted into food because the T range of the business end is too low to be out in the cooker. The outside end's thermocouple is a different type and suited to the much higher temps. Good luck!

Comment

A Fireboard, hands down. Not only is it accurate, the app is killer for documenting cooks.

Comment

Original Thermoworks thermopen - I use it all the time. And the Smoke X - both versions as mentioned by frigate above.

Comment

Thermapen and Smoke remote. Thermoworks are awesome kit. Never let me down and stays accurate / in-calibration for ages.

Comment

I have the SnS-500 and I love it. Many on here like the Fireboard.

Comment

My forehead, that little area around yer thumb & index finger & lest I not ferget 2 1/2 inches below my left arm pit.

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thats called the macarena

While I have several, my "go to" is the Fireboard 2 (not the Pro version) with 6 probe ports and a great App. Also just got the Fireboard Spark, which has single port and an instant read, built-in temp probe that ties into the same App as the other FB devices.
                I do have a Thermoworks Signals (their WiFi product that does not require a "gateway" device), which has 4 ports and a decent App. I also have a number of Thermoworks instant-read temp probes which are very useful for quick checks of temps of cooking food fir finish food temps at various points of whatever you are cooking - really helps with briskets, port butts, chicken, roasts, etc.

A lot of decent choices out there. I did have the XR-50 which is now the SNS-500, a very decent, non-WiFi, 4 port device that has good range and is very accurate.

Comment

I use a Fireboard 2 Drive all the time, upgraded from an original Fireboard when the new model came out. Obviously, the Drive isn’t needed with the KBQ or my MAK, but I do monitor the grate and food temps on them with it. It saves the sessions with great detail and you can add notes and pictures to the sessions. I don’t often add much more than the cooker used and the weight of the hunk of meat, but others put lots of details and pics in. These sessions are saved and are my BBQ log book that I find invaluable.

I also have a Heatermeter and Maverick. I enjoyed building the Heatermeter myself, but was frustrated with probe noise issues, so jumped on the Fireboard when it was announced. The Maverick is also fine, but more cumbersome to configure alarms, have to carry the receiver around and you only have real time data. I keep it as a backup, but haven’t used it since getting the FB.

Comment

jjdbike by information, I am not sure if you want an app with graphs and that level of detail, or just to monitor it on a dedicated remote. I've got a Thermoworks Smoke and Smoke Gateway that adds wifi/app capability to it. However, if you just want to see the temps on a nice dedicated remote, the Smoke is a great unit by itself, as is the new Snsgrills SNS-500 thermometer.

On the high end you have the Fireboard 2, which is probably what I would get if I wanted full wifi/BT connectivity and apps and stuff.

Comment

I really like the Smoke X4, Maverick XR-50, and SnS-500. In my opinion the Smoke X has improved upon the original Smoke quite a bit.

Comment

I have the Maverick XR-50 and it does extremely well for me.

Comment

• texastweeter
                          texastweeter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Same, until two of your probes die and you can't get them anwhere

• Hulagn1971
                          Hulagn1971 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          texastweeter no options for replacements?

• texastweeter
                          texastweeter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Can't find them anywhere.

I am anxiously awaiting my Combustion thermometer in June.

Get it just-right, every time, with the world’s only Predictive Thermometer from Combustion Inc.

Comment

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Interesting. I usually know how long food takes, I'm sure all of us do, but on those evenings where guests are over and we're having fun and the wine helps me lose track of things, the predictive ability might be quite nice if it's accurate. Sometimes I don't know if the ribs will be done at 6 or 8, a little yellow box telling me might be nice.

• Santamarina
                          Santamarina commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I’ve got the MEATER Block, which does internal and external temp with one probe. It does prediction, which is quite accurate in high temp environments, but falls short on low/slow cooking as it doesn’t account for the stall.

This Combustion looks like it may have solved that limitation!

I'm using a Maverick XR-50 it's pretty good and has 4 probes. However, I believe SNSgrills is selling an updated model that addresses some of my complaints about the XR-50.

The SnS-500 Digital Thermometer is loaded with features – FOUR probes, high/low alarms, large back-lit display, extended remote unit range, and more – at a price that won’t break the bank.

Comment

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yep, the SnS-500 is updated, better, and theirs instead of Maverick's.

• Attjack
                          Attjack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Huskee Seems like it's probably made by the same manufacturer though right?

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not sure on those specifics.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here