Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maiden Voyage on my new KBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maiden Voyage on my new KBQ

KBQ was delivered on Friday (assembled) and then on Saturday did my cook. First impressions:
    1. What a hassle putting on the wheels. Had to get my neighbor to help me. If someone put those on by themselves, I'd like to hear about it. Hey - I admit I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. After that, piece of cake.
    2. Love the recommendation to get the inexpensive kill switch. That made attending the fire that much easier.
    3. I can watch my fire, rather than on an offset where you have to open the fire box door to look. That's a big plus because keeping a good coal bed is the most important thing.
    4. Super easy to get started.
    5. I got 6" mini splits (oak and cherry) from Fruita Wood. Fit perfectly. I got them about 2 months ago and they were advertised as "seasoned" wood. Put the moisture meter on them Saturday and they ranged from 4% (cherry) to 16% (oak). That's low as kiln dried wood. So hmmmmm.....
    6. ATC worked very well. Different than a BBQ Guru.
    7. Loved it. Very nice piece of equipment.
    Smoked 2 racks spares (trimmed down to St. Louis cut)
    1. Trimmed, membrane removed and dry brined the night before with Diamond Kosher salt.
    2. Dusted with rib rub (no salt) 1/2 hour before going on.
    3. Forgot to weigh the racks before smoking
    4. Target temp between 230-270 d.
    5. Cherry and oak splits
    6. Anticipating 4-5 hours. Ribs done in 2 hr 45 min. Should have weighed the ribs....
    7. Light smoke, but understandable from #5 observation above.
    8. Ribs came out very good. Overall very happy with them. But hardly any meat on the bones. Very thin ribs and supports 2:45 hr/min cook time. Should have weighed the ribs....
    Attached Files

Don't forget the KBQ is basically a convection oven, things can cook faster.

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, but those were really thin ribs. I keep a log on cooks....which I could not believe I did not weigh the ribs. I think I pulled more weight off the skirt, chimn and riblets than the left over weight of the racks.

Congrats. You will tame the beast.

Comment

Nice. I woulda weighed the ribs though

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here