Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brick BBQ Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brick BBQ Please Help!

I have an old built in brick bbq that is dead. There is a gas line still working so I don't want to tear it out. My problem is that a new drop in grill
    is $800 or more for the odd dimensions. Can I attach something to the brick and put burners under or something that I can pit or smoke and the
    gas line can be an igniter? I am considering ripping the whole thing out. Please help!
    Bogs
    Attached Files

Have you considered buying something like a Weber Genesis that is setup for Natural Gas (or Propane if that is what you use), and just mounting it into this rather than the cart that it comes with? Might be some work, but surely there is a way to adapt it without buying a special size grill of unknown quality.

It would be hard to setup a charcoal grill in this spot with a gas ignitor unless you build one custom, and use something like a fireplace starter/burner under the charcoal grate.

Whatever you end up doing, be careful when messing around with the gas. If you rip it out, hopefully there is a cutoff valve somewhere in the line coming to this brick monstrosity, that you can cutoff before you mess with anything.

Comment

Rather odd setup, looks like the grill was an after thought. You might want to try and fashion a Santa Maria style open pit cooker. You could still utilize the gas line to start your splits. Anyway good luck, it’s worth salvaging.

Comment

Make it into a charcoal grill with gas assist?

Comment

I could drop a Masterbuilt MPS in there but not sure if the propane line can be converted to the gas line. Thx for the responses! Any suggestions are appreciated.
          Bogs

Comment

What are the interior dimensions?

Comment

• Bogs
              Bogs commented
              Editing a comment
              25" hi, 26" deep, and 30" width

That's a funky setup but you have loads of options. You could fabricate your own steel drip pan and buy some burners and run expanded metal over the top. You could buy any other grill and just let it sit in there. You could do a 50/50 with a gasser on one side and santa maria type setup on the other. You could do anything you want.
            If you got something smaller than the opening you just make some brackets to cover the gaps.

I would definitely still use the space as a grill though. I would reclad the thing in 1 or 1/2 inch flat stone that matched the cinderblock of the wall (but I can't tell, the walkway looks like maybe red brock so maybe it all ties together as is). Could be something really nice with a little tlc.

Comment

Make a small pit out of it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here