Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Location of Firebox inlets: above, below, or even with charcoal grate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Location of Firebox inlets: above, below, or even with charcoal grate?

I recently inherited a vertical offset smoker. I fired it up for the first time this weekend to reseason it. The smoke seemed to be too thick at times coming out of the exhaust. I was wondering if I was burning a clean enough fire? This is my first stickburner and I've done a lot of research to make sure I am burning a clean fire. I started with a chimney of Kingsford and then fed it pecan logs to keep the smoker running around 300 degrees. Which leads me to my question, where should the firebox inlets be located. On this particular smoker, custom build, the firebox inlets are 1" diameter holes along the back side of the firebox that are approximately even with the charcoal grate if not a little above it. In all my research it looks to me like the inlets should be below the charcoal grate but high enough to not get clogged by ash. So, should I try raising my charcoal grate to help this issue? Any help is much appreciated.

This should help: https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...wood-smoke-and

Comment

Post some detailed pics from different angles and I will get you sorted.

Comment

If you are seeing thick white smoke billowing out of the stack, you are not burning clean enough.

Like Ahumadorra said, pictures will help us help you!

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup. Pictures will help a lot. Ahumadora builds smokers. So he can help for sure.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Also cooks 1000 + lbs of meat at a time. Who else can say that!? Steve B

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah Spinaker The dude can throw down some serious meats. 🙌

Here are some pics of the smoker. It's hard to tell but the firebox grate is below the air inlets on the firebox.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Just stick a few fire bricks under the grate to raise the fire grate. Post a close up of the exhaust vent or size of opening diameter. Barely have enough opening for it to breathe correctly

Whats that handle thing poking out the side? Show some internal pics to see whats going on in there.

Comment

I’m 99.9% sure that smoker isn’t breathing properly. What does the exhaust look like? Location? Diameter?

Also, the inlet holes probably need to be bigger. The vertical location is less relevant.

Post more pics if you can.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here