Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offset smoker paint question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offset smoker paint question

Hi guys,

I've seen a few really nice looking offset smokers online. I know some Jambo pits (built by Jamie Greer) are real shiny, they have a custom paint job done so they look like cars. Instead of the traditional dull black they come in various colors, metallic and all. I think it looks really cool. My question is related to heat, of course. I've found a few paint manufacturers sell high heat paint, and I've used it, and it works. But it still is the dull black.

I know that when I was into motorcycles (race bikes, for street use), some guys used to paint their engine block with a car paint, since it was what we call two-component paint. It wasn't heat proof per se, but due to the quality of the paint it held up well.

Has any of you tried to do a custom paint job like that? I'm thinking it should either be a two-component car paint, or a fully insulated smoker (where the outside is cooler), or a combination.

I'm not gonna paint my existing offset, but I'm thinking if I build a new offset I would love for it to look all shiny.

Here's an example of an El Rey smoker, still black, but not matte, instead nice and shiny.

Click image for larger version  Name:	el-rey-smokers.jpg Views:	1 Size:	70.8 KB ID:	668543

Aircraft paint, a two part paint system, I would imagine has a higher heat tolerance. Here is one example. I haven't found any heat info as of yet. I do see a high temp reducer if you look under Technical Data.
    https://www.swaerospace.com/products...ormation-about
    Last edited by HawkerXP; April 22, 2019, 07:11 AM.

Comment

On Jambos and Moberg Smokers both have fully insulated fire boxes. Moberg responded on an Instagram post when questioned about the ones he paints glossy, and said it was high gloss enamel. He also said it held up well with a little discoloration at the point of entrance but not bad.On my uninsulated offset I use Rustoleum Satin 1200 degree paint. Engine enamels typically resist heat up to 500 degrees, so they should hold up on the cook chamber running up to 350 degrees with a fully insulated fire box.

Comment

I'm restoring a smoker now and I tried to get the same finish with a 500 degree clear coat and it didn't turn out even enough, but I'm just trying what they had in a spray can at the auto parts store. I'll be interested to see what you can find and where. It obviously exists. Have you tried asking one of the manufacturers you see making them shiny?

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Dang, that would be the obvious thing to do, right? Why didn't I think of that? :-) Thanks, I'll fire off a few emails next week!

I've heard on fireboxes that are not insulated it isn't so much the heat per se, but the lack of elasticity of the paint that causes it to eventually flake off due to the expansion and contraction of the metal.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Very clever input, thanks Jerod.

Jamie Geer doesn't do the paint himself, he ships Jambos off to a paint place, typically Shark Paint http://sharkpaint.com/BBQ_PITS.php

You might try contacting them to see what they do, they probably don't see you shipping them something from Sweden for them to paint so it's not like it is lost business for them.

My Jambo Backyard came with the standard Sherwin Williams high temp paint, which was not glossy or smooth. It scratches pretty easily and I've got a few rust spots above the doors from the smoke/moisture, and on the firebox from the expansion as Jerod alluded to. I have a spraycan of high temp paint that doesn't exactly match, but is good enough, and I'll need to clean up those spots pretty soon.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I fired off an email to shark pain, we'll see if they respond.

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          I use rustoleum Hi temp BBQ paint on the fire boxes and anti oxide converter on the rest of my pits.

Please don't say you're considering painting Rude Boy.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          No, never. This is for the next one :-)

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Whew. You had me worried for a minute. šŸ˜

Package donā€™t make the product my Swedish friend. I prefer the Rat Rod look, leave it raw and clear coat it with high heat clear. Now that would be innovative !!

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Now thereā€™s a cool idea!

I have one, which was red, but I wanted to paint it black. I tried spraying it, but I stained the back wall of the house. Anyway, it was time to repaint the whole house, so we called the guys from https://www.paintingservicesingapore...ting-services/ and asked them to do it. My husband came with the idea of painting it ourselves, but I always call someone who is a professional to do this kind of job. Those guys are great; my mom recommended them. And I'm happy that I called them and not anyone else.
        Last edited by ProvUnitV; April 23, 2021, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Hmm. Trial member, first posting is strange and is on a 2 year old threadĆ°ÅøĀ§Ā Huskee

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Car icon like the first post from an AH the other day who Paul took to task for deriding someoneā€™s question. Just saying...

The guy here in Dripping Springs, Texas whose really catching my eye is Moberg Smokers. He paints his smokers to satisfy customer requests but his shiny models are real eye catchers.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I've been following them for a year or two. If only....

Again, a spammer that revived and interesting thread that I would have never seen otherwise. Thank you kind spammer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here