Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone refurbed a Weber kettle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone refurbed a Weber kettle?

Thinking maybe this summer I'm gonna keep and eye out for used kettles, and was wondering if any of you folks had ever attempted to refurbish one...ideally I'll find one that's in decent shape and just needs a good cleaning, but just out of curosity, say you found one that was in really rough shape; could you get some high heat paint and redo it from the ground up? My concern would be painting the inside of the grill...I've seen guys redo the *outsides* of grills with like, 2000 degree rated paint, so theoretically that would be fine for the inside as well, as I would imagine inside temps wouldn't get much higher than maybe 800-900 at most? So would that be doable?

Mr. Bones could probably help you out with this one!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Was gonna put WKC, but my other Morris Brother got here first...

Sounds like a good plan to refurbish a kettle. But I'm not sure I would worry about painting inside personally. Maybe scrape it down with a razor blade and get it clean though.

Comment

Yeah I'm hoping that's all it requires. I don't mind a little elbow grease to get it cleaned out but ideally the porcelain won't be super destroyed so I can just hit it with a razor and maybe some 0000 steel wool.

I only even started thinking about it when I was cruising craigslist in my hometown and there was a guy selling a "gently used" (his words...looks a little more than "gently" but in any case) 22" with 6 bags of charcoal for 60 bucks (Canadian!) which I thought was a dandy deal. There were only a couple pictures of the kettle but while it definitely had some dings in the lid and stuff, it looked very much rescuable. Unfortunately I'm out of town for a while so I wasn't able to snag this particular one but it got me thinking about keeping my eye out for one, especially as more people are busting out their grills for the season, and hence many will be buying new ones.

Comment

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        Some of "gently used" and "well maintained" stuff on Craigslist cracks me up.

Go over to the Weber Kettle Club and read some of their restoration guides. Start with this one:

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-gri...ttle-cleaning/

i would avoid paint if at all possible, and clean up the porcelein.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
        Go over to the Weber Kettle Club and read some of their restoration guides. Start with this one:

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-gri...ttle-cleaning/

i would avoid paint if at all possible, and clean up the porcelein.
        Agreed, that's where'd I'd start; tons of useful tips n tricks there to spruce up yer Weber(s)

Comment

Right on, I'll check that out. Thanks fellas!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here