Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A DIY Santa Maria grill accessory for the Weber kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A DIY Santa Maria grill accessory for the Weber kettle

Estemed Pit Members,

something terrible has happened. I have hit the grill wall. I haven't done any outdoor cooking since New Year's. So I figured I'll get Ye Olde Welder out and build something instead. Inspired by @Troutman's Santa Maria Grill Accessory I figured: Hey, I can make one just like that! So that's what I did. I did it because I had the spare parts around, and 2 hours to spare. It cost me 0 dollars. I don't plan on manufacturing any, this is a one off, for my personal use only. I believe there are commercial ones available for purchase.

* I'm smoking a brisket on Tuesday, hopefully that will get rid of the pit master's block.

First task, creating a 'rim' of sorts

Click image for larger version

Name:	santa-maria-1.jpg
Views:	3711
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	647165

Fabricating a frame so the grates can move up and down

Name:	santa-maria-2.jpg
Views:	3669
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	647167

Welding the frame in place

Name:	santa-maria-3.jpg
Views:	3177
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	647166

Making grill grates by first tap welding the 'ring' onto the grates, then cutting the circle for a snug fit

Name:	santa-maria-4.jpg
Views:	2425
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	647168

...to be continued

Getting the crankshaft and wires in place

Click image for larger version  Name:	santa-maria-5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	737.4 KB ID:	647170

Throwing on some (heat proof) paint makes everything a little prettier

Click image for larger version  Name:	santa-maria-6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	647171

And here's the finished product. Works as advertised :-)

Click image for larger version  Name:	SantaMariaGrill.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.66 MB ID:	647172

It is lightweight, so I can easily remove it with one hand. I even put those felt gaskets used on kamados on the underside of the rim, so it won't scratch my (already scratched) kettle.

And for those of you more in Friday mode, i.e. lean back and sip your favorite libation, here's a video. Enjoy!

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Great job and video, Henrik.

Just one question, what's that white stuff on the ground?

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Beats me! It seems scared of the Weber though, so I’ll keep feeding the flame, and it goes away. Magic ;-)

Henrik Awesome job

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

As always Henrik Knocking it out of the park. Nicely done.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Steve, it was a fun build!

Very cool, Hank!
    Thanks fer th video tutorial!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mr. Bones!

Great job Henrik.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron!

If only that workbench could talk, Henrik . I bet it's seen some awesome projects made on it, just like this one. What a fun way to spend a couple of hours. Santa Maria style tri-tip coming soon, I'll bet.

Thanks for the video, I really enjoyed watching it.

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Kathryn! Great idea, I wasn't sure what I should cook first on it, and there's the answer: Tri Tip! Of course!

Nice job!

Comment

Alright, he bootlegged a Gabby's grill !!! I love it. I'd patent that puppy in the EU if I were you, great job my friend !!!

Name:	clapping hands.gif
Views:	2238
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	647204

Comment

Great job and a fun video to watch, thanks for taking the time to make it. I was wondering how you got your circle bent up so nicely, nice hack. I thought my SM was a great find at $50, but it's tough to beat $0 and 2 hours of work. You are going to really enjoy SM cooking, I look for every opportunity to use mine. It's currently behind a 2' pile of snow but I might have to just buck up and get my shovel. And for your listening pleasure here's a song that always pops in my head when I'm firing up My Maria: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdBvTvxHy7E
        Last edited by CaptainMike; March 8, 2019, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that's a good theme song for any SM grill! As for the hack: since I didn't have the power tools around I had to get inventive. But I'm looking into upgrading my tool shop in the near future. We'll see how it goes :-)

This was really cool Henrik

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Elton!

Excellent.

Comment

Nice job. You made that look easy.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, it was good fun! I'd like to call 2 hours in the shop 'mindfulness'. At least it's mindfulness to me :-)

Very nice. A man of many talents.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks klflowers!

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            You are welcome Henrik. I am still loving your rubs. Haven't tried the signature seasoning yet, but it is in my cart at Amazon.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here