Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UDS/Pit Barrel air vents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDS/Pit Barrel air vents

I want to build a UDS at some stage in the summer and have an idea of what I want to do with grates & hanging racks but any videos I see on youtube or how to do it online they always use ball joints and plumbing pipes for the air vents & chimneys. I had thought of using something like a Weber kettle vent cover and drilling 3 holes in the side of the side of the barrel and just turning the vent but im wondering is there a specific reason ball joints are used?

Due to the curvature of the barrel, it might be difficult to use a Weber type vent because you would have to bend the vent to conform to that curvature. Then turning the vent might be difficult.

Comment

go to /www.smokerbuilder.com/dampers-for-smokers/ , you will find what your looking for .

Comment

I'd just install one on the lid.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          I think someone here did that........

Most likely it's because they are easy to install and operate if they have the ball valve handle.

Another thing to consider is to extend the valve to waist height by using pipes and 90 degree elbows. I didn't use them and these intakes were expensive but here's a pic of mine so you get the idea. Less bending down to fiddle with intakes.

By the way it's not that clean and shiny anymore! 😀

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171208_122348.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	642726

Comment

I installed a BGE vent. Bought on Amazon. Cut a rectangular hole in the bottom side of the drum. Took a little reshaping but was very easy to do and works great. Looks cool too.

Comment

• Mudkat
            Mudkat commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice Ugly!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here