Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First cook on modified COS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First cook on modified COS

Click image for larger version

Name:	D8F7058C-D22F-451C-9C3A-7D0166042A76.jpeg
Views:	250
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	585104Click image for larger version

Name:	F092255C-59D5-486E-8C14-D477CCA3FA6A.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	585103Click image for larger version

Name:	4FA75B42-6948-4EA9-AD59-2D43547C5B14.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	585102 i wrote a few weeks ago about the mods I did on my COS. I finally cooked on it today. Just some baby backs for simplicity. I use lump, so I put some in the cooker area then put the deflector plate on to make it indirect. Got to temp well. Had a chimney of lump ready to go in the fire box for when it needed refueled. Used it after about 3 hours. Maintained temp well, no real severe smoke leaks. Overall I think it’s a success. This was a practice cook with just 2 slabs. I have an event in a couple weeks and will be doing 6 slabs. It’ll cook!

Congrats on getting the mods to work.

Comment

Great Job, there, Brother!!!!

Did ya use some chunks / splits, or was th lump suited to yer desired smoke profile fer this cook?

Jus wonderin; there ain't no wrong way to make Great Food!!! ...

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great questions! Fantastic looking food on a COS. Lots of new members are asking questions about their COS' regarding smoke, methods, control etc. I noticed his smoke vent was about in the position that I used to put my COS' which turned out some of the best food I ever cooked. Great job Keiferr !
        Last edited by tbob4; October 28, 2018, 08:26 PM.

• Keiferr
        Keiferr commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I added a couple hickory chunks just because.

• Keiferr
        Keiferr commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks tbob4! I may also extend the stack into the cooking area for different smoke circulation.

I'm doing my first smoke on a modified KitchenAid POS tomorrow. A Beef Eye of Round and a Pork Loin - both trimmed boneless full packers. I'll be putting the stuff on before breakfast - I sealed it up with aluminum tape and magnetic sheets, and Lava Lock. 2 of the 3 grates are isolated from radiated heat. I've got to put a cork gasket in the chimney first - I smoked some peppers in it a couple weeks ago and the chimney seat was a sieve.

Anyway - I'm looking forward to that first real meat cook. I know you were too!! Click image for larger version

Name:	KA Phase 1.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	585127

Comment

• Keiferr
        Keiferr commented
        Editing a comment
        I may add more gasket material at some point, but it's a go for now! Good luck tomorrow! We'll need pictures of course!

Great job on the modding. My lid fit more like a shoe box and I had to put rails with gasket for the lid to rest on. Twas worth it fo sho.

Comment

I think it's important to control the temp, and if you're controlling and maintaining the temp, it's gonna be good whether you're smoker is fancy or a COS. Great job from a fellow COSer!

Comment

I used to have a couple of those. Made some pretty good que on them,I also overloaded a few times,then maybe not so good!

Comment

bardsleyque, I made an elevated second grid for it. I haven't overloaded it yet.

Comment

Great to hear everything's working as planned, good job on the mod! And smart move to do some practice cooks, that' what I do whenever I use a new cooker too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here