Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Good One Gen 1 Refurb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Good One Gen 1 Refurb

I have a Gen 1 "The Good One: Open Range" and I am trying to get it fixed up for the season (this is the one before the firebox was removable as a unit). I haven't used it for a couple of years, too.

The grates are a dead loss, and I will need to get a replacement set, the rest of it I can handle (some rust spots that some elbow grease + hi temp rustoleum will do it)., The maker says they no longer support this generation.

Does anyone know of anyone that would make replacement grates for this?
    Last edited by Bromo33333; May 15, 2018, 02:30 PM.

Check these out: https://www.grillgrate.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mbmorgan View Post
      Yeah, we have theirs for our gas weber and they are great for searing - so for the grill portion they are my #1 pick.

I don't know how they would work for the smoker part?

Comment

The Grillgrates I do not think are a good fit for the Open Range. They would block most of the smoke in the smoke compartment, and I don't think you could smoke with them in the grilling compartment where the charcoal goes.

I am shocked they won't sell you replacement grates! That is one of the grill/smoker combos I've been eying if I ever win the raffle, as it seemed well built. If you cannot get replacement parts, not so much.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          I am eying it too, for a Gold Metal Give Away Win. At this point the only thing that could make the decision tough would be if they offered the Big Joe again.

You know, looking at that, I would find a small local welding shop, and take them the old grates, and see if they can weld new expanded metal to the frames. I assume your grates are expanded metal like in the pictures I see online for the current models. This may be the best solution, and likely cheaper than buying aluminum Grillgrates.

I've got a smoker/grill that my dad had one of his welders put together in 1985 or thereabouts. He wisely had 304SS expanded metal used on the cooking grate, and most of the grill other than the legs and a detachable front shelf are stainless. The grates are usually black from use, but if I scrub really hard with a wire welding brush and steel wool, I can make the stainless expanded metal all nice and shiny. I see a lot of high end smokers with expanded steel grates, and it surely would not cost much more for them to offer stainless expanded grates instead, and then rust would not be a concern.

Comment

I'd like to be clear - the current OPen Range "series 3" is supported. But the "series 1 & 2" are not.

TO say it is disappointing is an understatement. But the rest of the grill is in good shape - I only wish I could get new grates. I was looking into getting some custom made, and I was hoping that someone had something "good to go"

One of the issues I have is the original grates are long gone - so I have reached out for some drawings or plans from the maker who seems amenable in email, but I don't yet have them.

Totally agree about stainless. I was going to try to have them made in stainless.

But ... if I am forced into a new smoker, I will likely get something from one of the larger brands to avoid heartache again.
          Or perhaps trying to rig up a smoker in one of the new Weber Summits since the Open Range did double duty as a charcoal grill and smoker (we do gas based searing on a Weber Genesis with the extruded aluminum grill grates - which are AWESOME by the way - really upped the steak game)

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            That is so unfortunate. I've bought a lot of parts for my Weber grills that were 15 to 20 years old, so I guess there are some reasons to stay with a big brand sometimes. I love my Weber Performer with the SNS, and find myself using it rather than my offset if it will hold what I am cooking, as the Weber/SNS combination make fuel and fire management easy.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I second you on the Grillgrates - i have them for both my Performer Deluxe 22" and for my 2002 Weber Genesis Silver A - they turned the old 2 burner Genesis into a new grill!

Yeah I called the Good ONe - and they won't sell me compatible grates, and they won't give me dimensions and drawings so I can have them made. Suggested I measure the inside of the grill and go and have them made. The kicker is that it isn't just a flat grate, it is means to have spacers on them to they stack, and I explained the old grates are long gone. I have some Gen 3 grates, that have been stored and came with rust. I'll clean them up, cut them down and try to make them fit. The spacers are the kicker.

To say I am disappointed is another understatement. I didn't buy their grill to have to go and essentially figure out how to make my own. Such is life, I guess.

To people who might be tempted by them: They don't stand behind their older products. SO when buying realize if a new gen comes out, they might not support the older generation. Caveat Emptor.

Lesson learned for me. If you stray from the biggest brands, you risk this situation? Anyway, if I buy from someone other than Weber, or Traeger, I will be making a call or two asking about how they plan on supporting replacement parts.
          Last edited by Bromo33333; May 17, 2018, 12:28 PM. Reason: I toned it down some. I love the Grill, but find the support frustrating is all. Caveat Emptor.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry for your negative experience. I've always worked for companies where we did our best to stand behind products even if we no longer made or sold that model anymore. Fact that they won't even give you measurements for the original grates is pretty crappy.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here