Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choosing type of metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing type of metal

This seemed like the most appropriate area for this question as I'm looking to do a home-built Mod. I'm hoping someone here has done something similar or has more working knowledge on the topic than I do.

I'm planning to build a multi-tiered rack to fit as much jerky as possible into my smoker at one time. The mass produced units do not take advantage of the space that I have and simply don't hold enough.

I know 304 and 316 Stainless Steel is considered "food grade"; but from what I can tell so is Aluminum and obviously regular steel or they wouldn't make grills/pits/smokers out of it. I'm leaning towards Aluminum. SS is rather pricey, Aluminum much more reasonable, while still being easier to clean and not prone to rust.

One supplier I am looking at has Aluminum in 6061-T6, 6063 Anodized and 6063-T52. The price differences between the three is negligible.

Would Aluminum be a good choice? If so, which grade?

My plan is to make a simple structure using angle stock for the frame and rack supports. Probably use rivets, maybe bolts since I do not have a welder.

I believe aluminum will be eaten away by acidic foods.

A soda can is fine because it is lined with something.

Pans and grill grates are OK because they are anodized or something like that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here