Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double barrel smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double barrel smoker?

Seen this in FB Marketplace, I don’t really want it, but it’s about 5 miles away. What’s the scoop on these? There’s a lot of information on them as home builds. I’m not going to buy it, I’m just curious.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

I have seen'em too, but don't know a thing about them.

Comment

It wouldn’t last very long until the firebox will rust out.

Comment

I have never seen one in that configuration, the kit is sold to build a heating stove. Legs, collars for stove pipe, and door assembly is to make a barrel stove with a top barrel for more radiant heat area. Builder decided that it would make a smoker,and it will function as that. I do not think it will hold temps very well or last very long unless it it inside a shed or shelter. A good bed of sand in the firebox would help with burning the bottom out.

Comment

I built one see pix, Using BBQ Guru. I am having problems with guru, However, naturally aspirated, it works great. The guru works best if a good bed of coals are formed on a grate with air coming up through grate. I have to provide a little bit of help by cracking the door open 1/4 ". I'm using 100% wood, charcoal would probably help with regulation.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20180204_142357.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	465939Click image for larger version

Name:	20180310_121026.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	465940Click image for larger version

Name:	20180310_201702.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	465941
          We also used fire bricks, coated it with lard on first cook to season the cooking chamber. Grate sits on fire bricks with surround of 1/8 " steel to force air through grates.

Comment

Have not seen one of these for years , it was a fad for awhile, not to effective, if I recall.

Comment

• standegroff
              standegroff commented
              Editing a comment
              Soo if you drop a fork on the brisket and it falls through with good smoke ring, is that not effective?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here