Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manufacturing custom (DIY) grill grates for the BGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manufacturing custom (DIY) grill grates for the BGE

On a BGE I would like for the grill grates to be located lower down when searing. There are 3rd party grates you can buy, but not for my size egg (M). So, I decided to weld some. Always fun with a DIY project! This took less than 2 hours.

So I measured the largest diameter, in my case it was 32 cm (12.6"). I bought 6 meters of round bar, 6 mm (just shy of 1/4"). Inspiration comes from the Big Green Egg original grates, I like their thickness, they're easy to clean.

I started by manufacturing a wooden jig out of two boards. I glued and screwed them together. These were used to shape the 'frame'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GrillGrates-1.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	443179

I mounted it in a vice and started shaping the frame by hand.

Name:	GrillGrates-3.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	443180

Once done I cut it to length and trimmed the ends so they would fit nicely together.

Name:	GrillGrates-4.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	443177

I welded the ends together and did some grinding. Quick and easy, and it looks good.

Name:	GrillGrates-5.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	443178

I then mounted the frame on the jig again, and did some work on it to even out the circle. I then pulled it up close to the edge, so I could continue mounting the straight bars on a flat surface.

Name:	GrillGrates-6.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	443181

To be continued...

...continued:

Now's the time to weld the first bar in place. I trimmed the ends of each bar to mount it flat on the frame.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GrillGrates-7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	268.2 KB ID:	443183

The second bar is important, as it determines the spacing for all other bars. I eyeballed each and every one of 'em.

Name:	image_55551.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	443184

Here's how it looks when all bars are in place. Good enough for me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GrillGrates-9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	374.2 KB ID:	443186

Finally time to fabricate the 'legs' (it will be hanging upside down). I made a small cut where to bend them, then welded the 'knee'.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GrillGrates-11.jpg Views:	1 Size:	321.9 KB ID:	443185

To be continued...

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      It needs some polish too before showing the final pics. Soon...

How cool!

Comment

Very impressive! Grate job!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol! Thanks!

Very cool fabrication, Brother!
      Lookin forward to yer unveilin pics!

Comment

I love homemade solutions - great job!

Comment

Very Nice Henrik .

Comment

Excellento. DIY gives one great satisfaction.

Comment

Nice job Henrik!

Comment

See how talented Swedes are!! Nice work. Assume that’s carbon steel, do you TIG weld? Could do it in stainless.

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, carbon steel. I used a MIG, not TIG. But would love to have a TIG welder in my shop.

You’re a maniac Henrik. But I love it. Keep up the great work my brother. 👍👍

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ha ha! Thanks buddy!

And, as promised, the finished product. I polished it a bit more after taking the photo, so now it's all shiny 'n purdy. Until I do the first cook...

Name:	GrillGrates.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	443728

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Nice work and fun post!

Comment

• Henrik
                      Henrik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks!

When doe manufacturing begin now that you have the prototype? Of course two hours of labor could make them pretty pricey.

Comment

• Henrik
                      Henrik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well, now that the prototype is done serial fab could be a lot quicker :-)

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here