Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice on home built smoker box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on home built smoker box

I never had a clue as to how complex what "seems" to be straight forward it actually is, but the challenges and successes continue to fire the desire. Looking back on the four months since my first connection with Amazing Ribs and the world of smoking food, it has been one incredibly enjoyable journey. Members must be congratulated for their input shared in posts, it is a great source of learning and inspiration, especially for the likes of me. I believe this is a unique site and cannot be topped. All deserve a big round of applause and especially the ever inspiring Amazing Ribs.
    Now that my home built vertical gas smoker (that is still a work in progress) is at home, I have been able to spend time doing dry runs and experimental cooks. I have made notes of the happenings and by trial and error have fathomed some solutions. I have a few details that I need input on. Outside of writing what may seem like a whole lot of words describing situations, I thought if anyone has knowledge with regards some of my concerns hereunder then I can elaborate to that specific.
    1. The Fuel Chamber:
    How critical is the size of the fuel chamber in relation to the cooking chamber?
    The water / wood tray height above the gas burners?
    The space around my tray that allows the heat into the CC?
    The size, position and the amount off inlet valves?
    I am able to get to my target temp’s and stabalise with minor fluctuations of 2C either side of target temp. I still don’t think everything is as it should be. The flame burn is inconsistent at times. All the inlet valves and the outlet valve are open full irrespective of my target temp. I only adjust the 2 ring burner flame to stabalise.
    1. The Chimney:
    How critical is the size of the exhaust pipe?
    The length in relation to the unit size?
    The position and how many if more than one?
    When closing the outlet valve even slightly running at 225F then the unit is not receptive to the change but at higher temps like 325F it is more accommodating.
    These are my more pressing issues that have me baffled (excuse the pun). I would appreciate any advice before blindly making alterations that I hope might work.
    The cooks have been great thanks to the guidelines and recipes from this site (bar a few schoolboy errors and the bravado of "winging it".

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here