Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$89 OkJ Bandera Pellet Project is under way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$89 OkJ Bandera Pellet Project is under way!

It all started with cruisin thru FB and came across some posts for smokers at Walmart being clearance priced. I checked their app and sure enough an OKJ Bandera was marked down from $386 to $89.
    My offset is not real good for hanging sausage and I thought this would be a temporary fix for MCS and a fun project. My plan is to make this a convertible and be able to run it on multi fuels. I like playing with pellets and to be able to add splits along with it like I do in my Longhorn offset, and I am very happy with the results.
    The smoker weighs about 200 lbs so its not to bad and there is a lot of info on needed mods over at the BBQ Bretheren in the Bandera 101 Document. Just a little trivia the forum started out as the Bandera Bretheren and was later changed to the BBQ Bretheren.
    The first thing they say is when seasoning the paint on the firebox will peel or blister. Not may peel, but will peel. Also some of the issues with early models like fire grate being too low and a baffle needed on firebox opening were addressed on newer models.
    So to start I figured since the paint is cheap on the fire box and the seams are just tack welded with some gaps that would need to be calked with high temp silicone and that seems kind of temporary, I decided to weld all the seams on the fire box and tack weld a baffle plate in the cover to keep the fire from burning the top paint hopefully.
    Since I am going to add a pellet hopper, I made a new door to accommodate mounting it that way I can switch it out when needed if I decide to use a charcoal basket.
    Here are a few pics of the start.
    Pics of the seams around the firebox that are just tack welded with gaps and are typically siliconed with high temp sealant.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4146.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	393877Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4144.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	393878Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4143.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.52 MB ID:	393879Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4147.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.49 MB ID:	393880Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4142.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.59 MB ID:	393881
    The new door to accommodate the pellet hopper assembly.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4129.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	393882
    All the seams welded.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4150.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.59 MB ID:	393883Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4152.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.79 MB ID:	393884
    Pellet hopper mocked up.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4154.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.78 MB ID:	393885

Last edited by Powersmoke_80; October 25, 2017, 09:12 PM.

To be your neighbor.....(I'd be the "mooch" with under the table $$ the mrs' (plural) wouldn't know about.

Comment

That’s great! I’d love to see it in action!

Comment

Sweeeeet!

Comment

: )

Comment

Dang nice score! Wish I could find some like that. Anxious to see how the conversion works!

Comment

Cool project! Keep us up to date on the remodel of the cooker.

Comment

That looks like a fun project.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Fun idea!! Keep us posted on the project. Good luck!

Comment

Looks like a winner to me for less then a c-note.

Comment

I was able to get a little more done tonight. I purchased a 1" x 2'x4' sheet of Roxul insulation for lining the fire box lid and then covered with some sheet steel. I decided to go a little overboard since all the ones I've seen have all the paint burned of the firebox lid and I do not want it looking like that. Also I think this will help control temps considerable better as well as being more efficient running through the winter months.

This is what I am trying to avoid. This is posted on craigslist and said used 3 times.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	00Q0Q_5tyvMBMqVSQ_600x450 (4) - Copy.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	401569
                        The lid lined with Roxul insulation.

Name:	IMG_4170.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	401570
                        The insulation covered with sheet steel.

Name:	IMG_4172.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	401571
                        I will line the firebox with fire brick splits like this photo from BBQ Brethren as well as a layer in the bottom of the cook chamber for some mass.

Name:	IMG_4173.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	401572

Comment

The First pellet fired Bandera is about ready for testing.

Name:	IMG_4203.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	412268Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4202.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	412267Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4204.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	412269Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4201.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	412270

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                            Mr. Bones commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Absolutely Out Freakin Standin'!
                            Lovin' this story, please, keep it comin'!

• Powersmoke_80
                            Powersmoke_80 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks Mr. Bones I need a couple more fire bricks and finish the grate/diffuser for over the fire pot so I can add splits above for some additional smoke like I had with my offset conversion.

That’s awesome! Fire in the hole!

Comment

Wow! Nice Workmanship, and an awesome idea.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here