Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, here is my custom smoker - and some of the thoughts that went into it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, here is my custom smoker - and some of the thoughts that went into it...

A couple different people have asked about my custom built smoker, but I have been busy working (and lazy), so I haven't gotten around to it til now. But first, a little bit of background: Summer of 2014 both my UDS and COS were in the final stages of rust and decay to the point where they weren't even worth moving to the new house - so I decided to lay them to rest and start looking for something better. In a divinely blessed crossing of paths, I mentioned this during a conversation with my friend Shawn. Shawn is a good ole boy, ex-navy nuke welder who loves his BBQ almost as much as he loves his guns. Turned out, he was building a custom smoker for some guy who was having second thoughts (or maybe a lack of S.O. permission) about actually buying it. The build was going to be a smallish, reverse flow stick burner - but it was very early along and so I would have been able to come in and tweak it to my wishlist. We talked about some ideas, he agreed to talk to his client and get a commitment or else, then we shook hands and let it simmer.

A week later, his client gratefully bowed out of the build (and placated his wife!) and we were ready to red-neck engineer the design. Our original goals were:
    1. Able to handle full size logs
    2. Sized to fit my height (I am 6'3")
    3. Reverse Flow
    4. Wheeled stand, no trailer
    5. able to hold at least 2 full size hotel pans
    6. Look unique, industrial, yet built very solid
    Then we started emailing sketches, debating ideas, discussing materials, playing what-ifs and wouldn't-it-be-cool-if-it-had like a couple of kids. The final sketch we came up with was this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-12 sketch.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	322902

After about 6 months of design, and 6 more months of fabricating on weekends it was done. Here is the final specs she ended up with:

Name:	IMG_7327.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	322911

Fire Box: 3/8" plate, with outside dimensions of 19"W x 19"H x 22"D so it would handle a full 20" log. The door is 1/2" plate and has a slight concave bend from the center (no clue how he did it) so that it actually seals tighter once it heats up during a cook. Shawn wanted a cool handle, so he decided to make one out of a rock hammer. 7 drill bits later, he vowed to never make one again, but I think it looks cool!

Name:	13.png
Views:	243
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	322912

Diamond plate air intake spins on the all thread so the direction of the wind doesn't matter during a cook. Bottom of Firebox ended up 23" above the ground so I don't have to bend over so far to load and check the fire.

Name:	15.png
Views:	195
Size:	678.5 KB
ID:	322913

Cook Chamber: 24" diameter by 36" long piece of 3/8" thick oil field pipe. End caps are 3/8" plates. The shelf and lower grate are the same height so I can slide a pan straight in without having to lift it. FYI - they are also 46.5" tall as this is the same height as my arms when bent at the elbow (yes, even red-neck engineers study ergonomics =P). Bottom shelf is catwalk grate and measures 27" wide by 21.5 inches deep - perfectly sized for two hotel pans. Top shelf is heavy duty expanded metal 27" wide by 18" deep that can slide out or be removed. Mostly used for racks of ribs or pork tenderloins. Two thermometers at 1/3 and 2/3 the length of the chamber, installed at the same height above the lower rack as the lip of a hotel pan. Close as we can get to making them accurate. The reverse flow is actually a series of 1/4 inch plates that can be slid back and forth so I can retune the cooker if I move to some place with different elevation and humidity. There is enough room between the lower grate and the plates to put a drip pan or water pan if I wanted to, though I never need the water pan the way she runs.

Name:	IMG_7302.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	322914

Exhaust Stack: uses the same damper system as the fire box with the smoker's signature diamond plate and nails décor.

Name:	14.png
Views:	199
Size:	578.8 KB
ID:	322915

Lid: The lid is one of the hidden gems of the build. Because the smoker is made for my exact height, opening the lid is effortless for me with the offset stainless steel handle and roller grip. Fully open, it is just a couple inches past the balanced tipping point as it rests against the smoke stack so we decided not to install any kind of hold-open device (and I haven't missed having it.

Sundry Other Items: Nail hooks were added on the sides of shelves and the cook chamber for hanging gloves or utensils. The side opposite the wheels has a leveling bolt and nut to adjust the side to side level once you move it into positions. There is a cheater bar on the right to give you leverage for shifting it on the patio, but if you want to move her more than a few feet you need a tractor with some forklift blades. We don't know how much she weighs, but guesstimates are somewhere in the 1000 pound range. Funny side story: Got a call from Shawn about half way through the build - all ticked off and grumpy... Apparently he got her unbalanced and she fell over at his shop before the stand was finished. "Did it hurt the smoker I asked?" I asked. "No, but it cracked the concrete slab and left a fist sized divot in the floor where it hit!" Thatta girl!

And here she is in all her glory:

Name:	1.png
Views:	194
Size:	632.4 KB
ID:	322910

After two years, the high temp paint is wearing off, but I am liking the "well-loved" look that is coming through. I use mostly full size split logs, typically oak or pecan, though I will also run a bed of kingsford blue depending on my mood. Wood burns cleaner if you run it a little hotter, so I mostly cook between 250 and 275F. End to end, I normally see only a 5 degree F temperature difference across the cook chamber once heated up. If you haven't run away by this point and have some more questions - fire away!

Cheers,

Night

Attached Files

There is purdy, fancy & there is as you say "well loved" tough. She's a beaut & would like to see some victuals on her.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      agreed

That looks sturdy enough, (and heavy enough), to be your tornado shelter. That's a great design and construction job for sure.

Comment

Great looking offset. I love that you made it to fit your size. I am 6'6" and I have almost don't cook at all on kettle because they sit so damn low! It drives me nuts.
      When I get my offset, I am going to have it custom made for my height.
      I love that roller grip too, that is a great idea.
      The extra deep table in front of the cooking chamber. That is more thing about being a tall guy, you have more reach, so a deep table like this is no problem. Genius addition!

Great story about it tipping over at the shop! You know she's gonna last!

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn Spinaker I didn't realize you were that short. Haha. I'm 6' 7". And weigh in at 265. Crazy thing about that is I'm the little one in my family.

Nightrayne that's a pretty sweet looking rig you got there. Especially for a home build. Very nice work. I'm jealous.

• Nightrayne
        Nightrayne commented
        Editing a comment
        The depth of the table lets me set pans sideways on it and still be able to open the door. Helps greatly when you have it packed with meat!

Wow. Well designed to last. Wonder what comes off it after a day of smoking? Bet it's beautiful.

Comment

Sweeeeet!

Comment

Love it! #StickburnersRule

Comment

Beautiful! I hope to build my own at some point when I have room for another smoker!

Comment

Tank!!

Comment

Nice! Should be able to pass it down a couple of generations. Very well built.

Comment

An heirloom in the making.

Comment

What did all the raw material cost you? 3/8in is no joke. I would like to look into building my own smoker some day but I have no idea what it would cost, nor would I find out where to get material from.

Comment

• Nightrayne
                      Nightrayne commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I honestly don't know. The guy who built often trades work for raw materials. A lot of that savings passed on to me during the build because he is a friend. If you were going to buy everything new my swag is in the $1k range depending on where you live.

That thing is built like a tank! So cool to see another custom built smoker, and it is obviously being put to good use too. Great!

Comment

Wow, over-engineered (but in a good way) and built to last a couple of lifetimes. Make sure you put in your Will who gets it, or your kids will be fighting over it

Comment

• Nightrayne
                        Nightrayne commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bwahaha, so far they all want to eat but haven't shown interest in learning to smoke. I am failing as a father there! Maybe I will use it as a tombstone!

Great looking smoker!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here