Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flat top dilemna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat top dilemna

I have been wanting to add the versatility of a flat top/griddle to my arsenal, but really don't want to add another cooker. I have a Weber 22 and a Nexgrille 4 burner gasser.

I was leaning towards getting a griddle top for the gas grill, but the igniter system has gone bad on it and am not sure if it's worth the hassle of removing the top and at times the burner covers every time I want to fire up the griddle.

I use my kettle all the time, but I'm worried that the cooking area isn't going to be big enough when we have 8+ people to cook for (which happens a decent bit).

I'm also wanting to use the griddle multiple times per week since I'm working from home now and doing all of the cooking. I just hate cooking inside.

Should I just go with a Blackstone or Camp Chef? If I do that, I'd probably just get rid of the gasser. Never use it for grilling since I prefer the kettle.

What would it cost to fix the igniter system on the gasser? There should be some youtube videos on how to replace it.

Comment

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      The cost is better than I thought. I'm just not sure if it's worth it since the area is smaller than even a Blackstone 28 when I measured it.

I would ditch the gasser and get a Blackstone. In fact, that's exactly what I did.

Comment

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe that's what I'm going to end up doing. Thanks!

• ALapeno
      ALapeno commented
      Editing a comment
      If you have the room I’d keep the gasser and as Steve mentioned get a Blackstone. If you can repair it, you may miss the gasser for heating a cast iron pan for searing. Maybe miss it for frying outside. Regardless. Good luck in your choice and please invite when making smash burgers!

I received the SNS carbon steel plancha that fits my 22" Weber Performer as a Christmas gift. My plan is to find a used Weber 22" so that I can leave it on one cooker.

Comment

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      DJSpinkyLoc how are you setting up your coals with the plancha? Are you using the SNS?

• DJSpinkyLoc
      DJSpinkyLoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't used it yet, haven't even seasoned it. Heck, I didn't even know I wanted it! I am excited to use it, though.I have the slow n sear so I'll experiment with that first, most likely.
      Yesterday I read through the information on the main site in anticipation of using it. I'll probably season it this weekend in the oven.

I got a Blackstone mid summer. Have hardly used my gas grills since. Just two times in fact. And I cook outdoors at least two times a week. Sometimes a lot more. Ditch the gasser if you really focus on the weber kettle the most.
    Last edited by Jfrosty27; December 29, 2020, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh I definitely use the kettle for just about all of my grilling needs. I'm thinking this is the route I'm going to go. The grilling surface isn't that big on the gasser anyways.

if ditching the gasser, consider Grillas new entry to the griddle world. I've been waiting over a year for a sale on a camp chef and it just isn't happening. I don't mind the blackstones, I just prefer the grease management and wind blocking on the camp chef and they don't have a model that ideally fits my size needs... but with a camp chef, then you need to buy a topper for the cover not to get covered in grease and all these other expenses. By the time it's all done the Grilla is very price competitive.
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; December 29, 2020, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I would also consider the Camp Chef Pro 90X. This gives you versatility of a griddle, grill, pizza oven, etc?

I am a fan of Camp Chef...

Comment

Here's a griddle option that will fit a Weber Kettle:

Comment

• luvthemstillers
          luvthemstillers commented
          Editing a comment
          bbqLuv my personal favorite from Jim Beam is Booker's, but Old Crow is a respectable brand with a lot of history behind it.

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Old Crow is what I travel with...that plastic bottle won’t break in my suitcase. ;-)

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Old Crow, the original sour mash whiskey. cost-effective too.

Looks like I can order the Camp Chef 600 flat top for $350 from Home Depot. Is that a good flat top for the money? I will also look into the Grilla option.

Comment

• jpietrantone
          jpietrantone commented
          Editing a comment
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs what do you mean about having to have a top? I will be storing this in the garage when not in use.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          jpietrantone the world is your oyster then, but folks who keep them outside need a cover and the cover on the flat tops tends to sag and soak up grease so they sell aftermarket tops to keep the cover from doing such. The Blackstones from walmart have a built in lid and the Grilla does as well, but the camp chef model hasn't changed in price or design since day 1 If you have a patio or garage for it, it doesn't matter one lick and the FTG 600 is supposedly the king of griddles by reviews

• Uncle Bob
          Uncle Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          A little while back I did just that, bought the 600 from HD. Best price I could find. They are so well liked by their owners they rarely show up on the used market. Folks have mentioned the wind barrier advantage, extra cost for BS. Yes, top extra, but worth it. And that distribution plate on the bottom of the griddle is the bomb compared to angle arm supports on cheaper stuff. No warping, and better heat distribution.

I cooked a bit on a CC600 and it’s is very good. Grease management is well thought out. Can remove the griddle top and grill with the bars. The one I used has an aftermarket metal cover over the surface and the fabric cover over that and the whole grill.

I got a griddle top for my gasser and almost never take it off. I’d consider a dedicated griddle for that reason so long as it gets hot enough to sear. Mine will reach 700F. I measured the camp chef at 600F+. Just ensure you have grease management. I used a baking steel griddle for a long time and if you let the grease channel overflow and reach the coals you are standing back taking a break for quite a while waiting for the flames to settle. Wiping between batches with paper towels works fine in that case.
        Last edited by Polarbear777; December 30, 2020, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Love my Blackstone. Still use gasser occasionally. That said, the Blackstone griddle top, properly seasoned, is awesome and is super fun on which to cook.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've settled on the Camp Chef 600 since I can currently get it for $90 off the normal price. I'm sure the Blackstones are awesome too, but think I like the overall build quality of the Camp Chef more. Now all I have to do is convince the wife as to why we need another cooker.

Comment

So, DavidNorcross got me looking into the Pro 90X and I was amazed what all can be done on a 3 burner camp chef. My local Bass Pro has a Camp Chef Big 3 for $250 which I got and used $100 of old gift cards that were in the drawer. I have ordered the 3 burner griddle top for it and it should be here Sunday. Got it for $130 on Amazon. So all in, I have my griddle for $280 and will be able to add more cooking options to it over time. The best part is that I can store it easily in the shed when not in use.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
                DavidNorcross commented
                Editing a comment
                You wont regret it. Congratulations!

YES

Comment

I am late but I have the Camp Chef Tahoe and I love it. I think it is more versatile than a fixed surface griddle, I use the CI griddle that came with it that covers 2 burners, and I can have a pan or coffee pot or whatever on the third burner. The grease management on the CI griddle is terrible, so at some point I will get the Camp Chef griddle and drip cup, but for now it is great.

Comment

• jpietrantone
                  jpietrantone commented
                  Editing a comment
                  klflowers Nice! So what is the CI griddle? Mine comes with the 2 burner grill box which I may or may not ever really use. I'm thinking I will probably order the CC professional grease cup for it in the future as well.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here