Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Griddle Cooker Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackstone.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	389.2 KB
ID:	859470

I have the Blackstone 36 with 4 heating knobs. They come in handy. Set the left 2 for the highest cooking heat, the next one for a little lower temp, and leave the right one off. Things that take a long time to cook go over the high heat and then get moved to the lower heat. When done, I place in a small foil pans over the burner that is not lit. The steel in that area is hot enough to act as a warming plate.

Have never thought I wished I had a smaller version. Really like the flexibility the large surface gives you. For example, you can be cooking bacon, eggs and pancakes at the same time. When doing stir fry, I start the longest cooking item over the high heat then move it to the right to cook the next item. Repeat the process and then mix all together at the end.

My patio slants down a little. I just make sure the back and drain are in that direction. Use the plastic? cover and have no issues with it. Had it over a year and no rust issues here in Texas. I don't have a gasser so I keep an extra propane tank on hand.

Name:	Fried Rice 3.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	859471

Name:	Garlic Green Beans with Bacon.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	859472
    Last edited by jlazar; June 9, 2020, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry I just read your previous post re: your wife. I am praying for His loving hands to be on her and your family.
      Last edited by Driverdan; June 9, 2020, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Here's Paul's reviews on griddles, in case this helps narrow your choices down: https://amazingribs.com/equipment-re..._tid%5B%5D=307

Comment

Originally posted by ofelles View Post
          Gawd I hate it with MCS and then asking the group just gives me more questions sometimes. That certainly is not what you need right now. But then again maybe this is a good distraction for you.
          IF money was not an object and you could have what ever; how would you go?
          Yes, this is a distraction right now for sure!

Ah, if money grew on trees... probably the Camp Chef FTG 900 - the 6 burner one - AND a Camp Chef 3 burner stove for cooking other stuff!

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            That CC 900 is a beast! I just might have to drop by if you ever actually decide on that one. Both to learn and to partake

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee when I got my Genesis II E-410 on clearance for $399, there was a Genesis II E-610 for $599, and I almost bought it, but believe it or not, decided it was too big, and went with the 4 burner. Apparently a lot of folks thought it was too big, since Weber quit making the the burner Genesis In 2019.

I imagine the CC 900 would be similarly huge for everyday use. If it’s just the wife and I and I am using the Genesis, I usually just cook at one end with 2 burners.
            Last edited by jfmorris; June 11, 2020, 06:13 AM.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I hear that. Well liek my dad always says 'you can put a little in a lot, but you can't put a lot in a little'. He says that with regard to choosing the small or big version of anything- go big, one day you'll appreciate the extra space, and you can always cook a little bit on a big cooker but not the other way around. I suppose he's right.

Also, Home Depot has the Blackstone 36 for $280, out of stock in my search but it could be area-specific or back in stock soon who knows. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blacksto...stomer_reviews might be worth watching just in case.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks - out of stock here too, as well as the CC FTG 600. I told Home Depot to notify me when both are back in stock.

I had both the blackstone 36 and the camp chef ft600. I think the camp chef has a better build quality and heats more even across the surface using a IR. I ended up giving the blackstone to my son in law because I rarely used it after purchasing the camp chef

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks - pretty sure I saw you say this in another thread, which is a reason I am looking at the CC FTG600 if I can find one for not a lot more than the Blackstone.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            What about size difference? When using the Camp Chef, do you miss the extra 120 sq inches of the Blackstone?

You can order the camp chef from their website.it’s the same price as Home Depot. Got mine in 3 or 4 days

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            The FTG 600 is $440 on the Camp Chef website, and out of stock. On homedepot.com it is $349 - and also out of stock. I guess none of those prices mean anything if its not in stock. If I want to drive 62 miles each way, a Dick's 62 miles away has it in stock for $399.

I just got my 28" Pro Series Blackstone about 2 weeks ago and I love it. I debated 28" or 36" based on my cooking. For me, the 28" is plenty . While it may have 2 gas knobs, it actually has 4 burners. Each port breaks out into an H burner figuration. You may only have two heat zones, but you actually have 4 burners for 28" of surface area, pretty sweet. Plus, I really like the attached cover.

I have my griddle placed perpendicular to the slope of my patio, which is ever so slight, so any grease just finds its way to the back grease trap, which is very nice. I am a happy camper with it. I got it from WallyWorld for $ 275 and an extra $38 for the cover.
          Last edited by Rocinante; June 9, 2020, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Good to know, and the 28 inch would probably be sufficient for most use.

I love my blackstone pro series 36”. I only ever heat 3 burners. One is always off. This sucker gets HOT!!

jlazar just like you I do the same.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	21A26F11-2D78-4A0E-8F52-D09892F5237F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.17 MB ID:	859653 the foreground in the photo is off and I move to the left.

edit: the post below reminded me.... I’m not sure if I’m level or not so I don’t miss the leveling legs as I have the pro series. I think I’m at a pitch to the cement swale??? I think the legs are more for camping/ ruggedness.

I have a hard to cover that covers the top surface and I have a canvass type cover for the whole unit. The canvass seems to be water repellent and they both do a GREAT job protecting from the ocean air. We’re about 2 miles as the crow flies from the pacific.

my pro series is built like a tank.
          Last edited by HouseHomey; June 9, 2020, 09:56 PM.

Comment

jfmorris i admit I purchased a Blackstone 36 inch with cutting board and paper towel holder.

I love this thing. It is fun fun to cook on. I have a variety of things I still want to try, and, I’m still learning.

I think it heats pretty evenly. My two cooler spots are the far corners in the back on either side and I use them as warming areas which is nice.

I don’t miss the leveling, but, I do love the wheels on the Blackstone. It moves easily and the locks on the wheels work well. I agree the rear drainage of grease is a big plus.

I have the soft cover, however, I have yet to use it. I am fortunate that we have a detached garage where the Blackstone and Yoder live. That said, think I’m going to get the metal cover as I hope to have an outdoor cook area later this summer.

Good luck on your search.

Sweaty

Comment

little trick i learned on here for soft covers on flat tops. put two upside down disposable aluminum pans on the griddle surface. it helps arch the cover and stops it sagging...cover has performed much better since i did that and i havent had leakage/sagging/rusting problems since.

Comment

jfmorris I didn't read through everyone's post's so excuse me if this has already been talked about. I've owned a Blackstone 36" griddle....I now own the Camp Chef Expedition 3 burner cook top. I didn't use the blackstone enough and I needed something more versatile. This Camp Chef came with a 2 burner griddle and it does awesome. I cooked some peppers and onions for the smash burgers last weekend...we love this thing. The 3-30,000 BTU burners are perfect for using your CI or for a fish cooker...
                Just something to think about....God Bless and we're all praying for you guys!!

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Does the heat seem pretty evenly distributed on the griddle that came with the Expedition? The pictures show it as having some heat spreaders that are welded on the bottom above each burner. Obviously heat is concentrated in circular areas, versus a front to back burner strip, so just wondering how well they solved the heat spreading issue.

• Dadof3Illinois
                  Dadof3Illinois commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jfmorris I find that if you let it preheat everything was just as even as what the blackstone griddle was. I will say that it will get WAY hotter than the blackstone so I run it on low to low/med and that's plenty.

• DavidNorcross
                  DavidNorcross commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree. It gets much hotter and you just need to cook at lower temps. I never cook above medium, dont have to.

I have a Blue Rhino Razor. I picked that one up because at the time, I really didn’t like the Blackstone grease management. It’s a 36” so might be a little large for two...though it is more versatile than the smaller ones, especially in regards to heat zones. I also like how the side tables fold up and form a hard cover. Though I also use a regular cover as well.

What it lacks though are levelling legs...and the patio I have it one has a slope. I purchased a set of Wobble Wedge shins and it’s all good. They’re available in several sizes and one can pick them up directly or from places like Amazon & webstaurantstore.
                Last edited by surfdog; June 10, 2020, 09:01 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm gonna haveta check into them shims, instead of th rudimentary way I been levellin mine. All my spaces where I use my Blackstone are sloped, like yer own. surfdog

I have an idea jfmorris Just get the Camp Chef 900 6-burner for the crowds, then the small tabletop Blalckstone for the times it's just you & your wife. Win for you, them, and MCS all in one fell swoop.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd bide yer time, an watch fer a good sale on one of th models that ya have it narrowed down to on yer list.

I fought MCS fer months, when th BS 36 war was goin on between amaz, big boxes, etc. all were runnin ~249~ finally all went back to reg price, thought I was cured.

Found mine at F&S $199, accessory kit, an free ship. I caved. Glad I didn't jus impulse buy, got what I wanted fer $100 off SRP. Still delighted!
                  jfmorris
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 10, 2020, 12:50 PM.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mr. Bones I plan to wait and get whatever I get for a decent price. For the short term, I've got Grate griddles from the Grillgrate folks, and cast iron, and my Drip 'N Griddle pan, and will try doing some stir fry outside with those. I think we will enjoy having one, and cook on it a lot, but good grief - I am gonna be setting up a payment plan with the hospital soon I am sure!

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Huskee well said! I'm just occupying time while in the hospital on a virtual quest for the best griddle!

Mr. Bones Bones earlier in this thread you indicated you got a great deal on your griddle.....in part..."Found mine at F&S $199, accessory kit, an free ship. I caved. Glad I didn't jus impulse buy, got what I wanted fer $100 off SRP. Still delighted!

Thinking I need to know who F&S is..........please? Tom

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He'd tell you, but he'd have to...you know the rest.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Field and Stream, of all places, Tom...

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here