Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little Griddle temp control on BGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little Griddle temp control on BGE

I'm having fun cooking on this Little Griddle. It's just big enough to cook for two and works great for meat or peppers and onions. However, since you griddle with the lid open, I'm having trouble keeping the griddle temp below 400 degrees. I'd love to hear how other BGE owners deal with this. This morning my pancakes were scorched on the outside and looked like whoopie pies on the inside. By the time I was done the oil was smoking like a tanker fire.

I've been keeping the bottom vent closed, and to date have been trying various arrangements of foil and heat deflectors to try to limit airflow. I've been only moderately successful keeping the temp down, and most often I get hot and cold spots on the griddle.

My next plan is to buy some briquettes and try to manage the temps by counting the number of briquettes I use. So a question for the Weber Kettle cookers... how many briquettes do you guess it would take to hold a small stainless steel griddle at about 350 degrees? Would 15 be a good starting point? Thanks in advance for any ideas at all.

Maintaining my Large BGE to a constant temperature below 275 has always been a challenge with the lid down. It requires the bottom vent to be open about a quarter of an inch and the top top vent about the same. If the LG requires the top fully open, I'm not sure how you can get the temperature below 350-400. My instinct says this product is probably meant for kettle grills rather than the BGE.

Comment

• Chuck in Charlotte
      Chuck in Charlotte commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks BBQPhil. It is manageable for grilling at higher temps for quick cooks, but you may be right about being better suited for a kettle.

What BBQPhil said. I would instead reduce fuel aggressively. Start with 8-10 briquettes and see where that gets you. Distance from charcoal to griddle also matters.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a plan. I was thinking small fire. Maybe charcoal piled crossways on the fire grate the width of the griddle would help. You would have no charcoal above or below. Briquettes tend to burn more consistently than lump. Remember the distance from the fire decreases or increases the heat intensity.

• Chuck in Charlotte
      Chuck in Charlotte commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Henrik and LA Pork Butt, when I can end my isolation and get some briquettes I'll give it a shot.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here