Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stir Fry on the Blackstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stir Fry on the Blackstone

When you are making stir fry on a griddle, at what temp do you cook?

If ya have an IR gun to shoot yer cooktop, I usually hover ~400°-450° fer a stir fry temp, on my Blackstone 36"...

Cooktop can get MUCH hotter, but ^ makes it cook at a controllable rate, least fer me...(4-8 servins)

Larger quantities, I might go some hotter, to counteract thermal mass impact on my cook surface...

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I will use my IR and shoot for that range.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Ain't no gospel, written in stone, but works fer me, my Friend...
      I'm sure other, much more sentient Hominids will add their fave temps, as well...
      Fer me; largely depends on what I got on my griddle, as to how I approach it, temp-wise, an timin-wise, both...th only constant in griddle cookin is that it's all constantly variable, ime...
      same as cookin, any other method, iow
      Semper Gumby !

I cook on med/ high heat for meat and veggies. Once I add my sauce I let it warm on low.

Comment

I don't have a blackstone, and I don't have a fry cook experience on my resume'. I'm actually experimenting with a few flat top, and flat toppish methods just to see what works to my liking. And therein might be the answer, i.e. it's going to take some experimentation/experience on your part to figure what works best for you. I like Senor Bones number as a good starting point, it's hot enough to get the kind of quick cook, crispy, fast warm. long sear, etc. etc. But each of those outcomes are relative to time on heat. The other thing to note is that your flat top doesn't have the same temp across the entire surface. That's where the temp gun comes in. You can have 450ish in the immediate area over the burner, but out toward an edge or corner or very center of the griddle there's likely an area that is, oh say 100 degees cooler. That is a good thing if you know where that is, and how reliable/consistent it is. If the product in the high heat zone is cooking too fast, move it to the lower zone in somewhat of a holding pattern while you catch the other ingredients up. That's a brief, while also long winded way of saying that there is a lot of technique involved as well as understanding what temp zones the top offers. There are times when I like a much higher temp than 450ish, others when lower...………..but some burnt offerings are made learning how to do that.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        ^What He Said^
        Time, Temp, Technique, etc. all come into play...
        Keepin a cooler Safe Zone is an important thing, givin ya a place to move done foods to, while ya complete the rest...
        Thanks fer th assist, Amigo!

• Santamarina
        Santamarina commented
        Editing a comment
        Uncle Bob is right!

Tips are great (they can save a lot of trial and error), yet nothing beats a few cooks of your own to learn YOUR griddle/temps/cooking-style/finished-product preferences.

We can all point you in the right direction, but it’s up to you to stop when you reach your destination!

I go as hot as it will go and I chase the heat across the griddle. it goes fast but boy is it good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here