Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackstone Smash Burgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackstone Smash Burgers

My post yesterday caused a couple people to comment about how they were thinking about buying a griddle.

We planned all week to cook burgers tonight. The boys voted for smash burgers on the Blackstone, and I took a couple pictures.

Let's see if we can help out with someone's MCS...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3205.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.97 MB ID:	651148
    Three lbs. of ground beef turned into twenty burgers...Wife uses a dedicated ice cream scoop for mostly consistent sizing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3207.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.05 MB ID:	651145
    First flight on. Didn't try to cram on all twenty. Seasoned with a store bought mix (If anybody as a Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers restaurant nearby, their sauces and seasoning are pretty good, and the burgers are probably the best chain-store burgers I've had).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3208.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.41 MB ID:	651147
    And the flip...at this point youngest boy is across the yard, playing with the dogs and yelling that the burgers smell really good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3209.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.94 MB ID:	651146
    Small second batch on, first batch staying warm. There's a Lodge press sneaking around nearby that never made it into a picture. It is what puts the "smash" into (or onto, I guess) the smash burgers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3211.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	651144
    The hot dogs and sausages were in the gas grill while the burgers were cooking. Hot dogs were for tonight also, sausages are for lunches next week.

We didn't time this cook, but it was pretty quick again. I can't emphasize enough how simple it can be to throw together a pretty good meal on the griddle. Not very fancy, but good enough that the boys prefer this over most restaurant burgers.

Anyway, smash burgers on the griddle are a good thing.

Ya know...i thought i liked you. šŸ˜œjust kidding, way to add to the MCS.

looking like good burgers. Although supposedly proper smash burgers should be done on a non oilded dry griddle. Apparently you need them to stick to get that exterior crunch.

never done them since im still blackstone jonesing (that should be a song) but i think kenji lopez was preaching this on twitter recently
    Last edited by grantgallagher; March 16, 2019, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• Brian_M
      Brian_M commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm. Donā€™t know about that. I started doing it this way and it works for us so I just stayed with it.

Now I have homework to do. Great. Thatā€™s probably a fair payback for the MCS taunting.

In all seriousness though, these griddles really are a joy to use.

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Brian_M and by the way you have locked in my blackstone mcs. And in a pleasant turn of events for a change, im pretty sure i only need the 28Ć¢ā‚¬Ā judging by how many burgers you have on that thing

Love smash burgers. I usually put a bit of oil on the griddle as well. A good smash makes pretty good contact with the metal and allows a good crust.

Comment

Brian_M the kenji tweets
      Click image for larger version

Name:	0216D2B1-E3E1-4733-A168-0435F30DEDF7.png
Views:	291
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	651182

Click image for larger version

Name:	1FD49C4B-ED87-4DE1-8FDA-505FC6720614.png
Views:	327
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	651181

Again, still never made em but i am curious

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        Brian_M example of paths crossing, lol. If i hadnt just recently seen those tweets and your thread i never would have posted on it. Really looking forward to if you try it out and i really hope it doesnt end up in "f this, scraping this off my griddle sucked", lol

• Brian_M
        Brian_M commented
        Editing a comment
        You may try it before I do. Iā€™ve spent a lot of years living by the philosophy of not fixing something that isnā€™t broken.

However, Iā€™m pretty curious about this now.

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        Brian_M need to get a griddle first, lol

That looks amazing. What is the cleanup process for those griddles? Is it a pain?

Comment

Clean up is pretty simple. A good scrape while it is screaming hot to get everything unstuck and into the grease collector. If anything is too stuck use a quick squirt of water from a spray bottle to steam it off (although this will screw up the seasoning). Then I wipe it down with extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) and a rag. Then another coat of EVOO with a clean rag. Thatā€™s usually enough to have it slick and ready for next time.

At the start of the next cook get it hot, wipe it down with another coat or two of oil, and start cooking.

This works for me. Thereā€™s some really knowledgeable people on here that may point out something Iā€™m missing. Iā€™m nowhere near an expert on seasoning a griddle.

Comment

Nice!

When I am making these I use a trowel to press them down onto the cooking surface. Then you can really get a good, solid smash out of them. Then I use a stainless paint scraper to take them off the cooking surface. I used to use spatulas and other tools, then I was at HD one day and I thought, "What the heck, I am going to try the trowel." I had seen other cooks using them, so why not give it a try? So, I picked one up and I have not looked back since. Boy, am I happy I did!

Generally, I will throw the meat ball on the cooking surface, smash it and let it go for about 1 min. Then I scrape, flip and let it go for about 30 seconds. Then comes the cheese on one patty, I add a cooked patty on top, dollop of my brothers special sauce with fried and raw onions. Mmmmmmmm, smash burger heaven!

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh yeah, I like that trowel hack! I got a whole bucket full of them, but I think I'll grab a nice new one next time I'm at the lumber store.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            As an aside I like using cheap plastic paint scrapers for cleaning/scraping cast iron under hot water.

Did traditional burgers on my stone last night. Either way burgers off a griddle are fantastic. A griddle (either Blackstone or Camp Chef) is a tool in my arsenal that is essential for sure. Brian_M is spot on with the clean up. I usually buy the blue shop towels because they have less lint, but just a handful of paper towels and some oil and you are clean. To me the clean up is one of the best parts of owning a griddle.

Comment

• Brian_M
            Brian_M commented
            Editing a comment
            Blue shop towels are exactly what I use also!

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a bunch of blue lintless towels I got from the surgery department. I originally stole them to do car detailing. Very handy items, they get used a lot now in my BBQ/smoking adventures as well as firearms cleaning, etc.

Sweet setup with the half hotel pan on top of the warming rack Brian_M

Comment

• Brian_M
            Brian_M commented
            Editing a comment
            Learned that here allsid but I don't remember specifically from who. There's so many people here with great ideas that I can't keep track of who suggested what.

Wouldn't surprise me if using a warming rack was mentioned in a flipping awesome cookbook I read every now and then about backyard griddles...
            Last edited by Brian_M; March 17, 2019, 07:31 PM.

• allsid
            allsid commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha- thanks!

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Heck, I have even heard that some guy named Paul wrote a whole book on griddle cooking. I have one in my collection as well! Maybe you've heard of it allsid

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here