Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flattop, burger plight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flattop, burger plight.

My customers love my "squash" burgers a term that I use because I incorrectly called a smash burger a squash burger and has stuck. I think smash sounds more edible than squash but the title has stuck.
    When I first found the site I spent days reading everything and scribbled down all that I thought was important in the hope that it would help me retain it in the space between my ears. Need I say that there is just not enough space between my wingnuts.

When I first started vending my clientele was small and I used a small cast iron griddle pan over a gas burner to cook my patties (max 4 at a time). I was able to produce really good burger patties, a lot to do with the flame sear from the fats catching alight in the pan.

As my customer base grew it was no longer viable to use the pan so I fired up the flattop. I had no experience using a flattop and was discouraged by the patty end result compared to the griddle pan.
    Then somewhere in that space of emptiness I remembered reading about smash burgers and revisited the site. I since, have never used a patty press to make my burgers and the results are close to the flame sear of the griddle pan (just not as good).

At least once a week I make around 40 burgers all to be served at a specific time.
    I make them in batches of ten. It is easier to "squash" and manage the load. My experience is the first batch browns nicely even the flipped side but the results are less satisfactory as I make headway.
    I use a paint scraper to clean the flattop after each lot before starting the next batch, but the browning is not as acceptable as the batch before. From the second batch onward the flipped side does not get the same crust as the other side. I have tried not flipping them onto the same spot as the first side cook but doesn’t make a huge difference.
    I do apply pressure once flipped but lightly so as not to squeeze out all the goodness. The burgers still get the thumbs up, but I know they are not as good as when I do less quantities.

Is this because the flattop plate is cooling as the cook progresses or is it about the fat or residue that is not sufficiently scraped away after each batch fry. As mentioned I don’t have the same happen when grilling otherwise.

My flattop is about 35 x 17 inches with a 10mm just under ½ inch thick stainless steel plate with 2 horseshoe type burners.

Any suggestions or advice.

I have always assumed it's from cooling. Do you have in IR thermometer to test the temps regularly to see? Also, have you tried leaving the (or more of the) buildup there? I think that's part of what makes diner food so good is the flat top and the buildup of tasty bits.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Heat loss is my guess as well.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      holehogg FYI, I just got this from ThermoWorks, 48-hr sale on their IR guns. $58 instead of $89, pretty good sale. (Not sure if they ship to SA but likely they do.) https://www.thermoworks.com/IRK-2?tw=AMAZINGRIBS

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought that IR gun too a while back (previous sale). I really like it! Good fun to use, and I 'know' instead of 'guess'.

I managed several fast food restaurants back in the 70s, so my memory is not super sharp, BUT we used a griddle scraper that had a replaceable blade to scrape the griddle. We used to replace the blades regularly when they got dull. My thought is that you are not getting the surface clean enough because your paint scraper is not sharp enough to remove all the grunge.

US Amazon had a ton of professional griddle scrapers. You might want to see if you can find one.

Or you could try sharpening your paint scraper. It doesn't have to be super sharp, but sharp scrapes better.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Will try a brand new paint scraper (I do buy the best quality)

What's the percentage of fat in your burger? 20-25% minimum is what I use. I get get good results by using a high smoke point oil (avocado oil is my favorite) as well, or, if I'm cooking bacon along side I'll slide a little grease over to where I'm flipping.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      80/20.

Originally posted by RonB View Post
    I managed several fast food restaurants back in the 70s, so my memory is not super sharp, BUT we used a griddle scraper that had a replaceable blade to scrape the griddle. We used to replace the blades regularly when they got dull. My thought is that you are not getting the surface clean enough because your paint scraper is not sharp enough to remove all the grunge.

US Amazon had a ton of professional griddle scrapers. You might want to see if you can find one.

Or you could try sharpening your paint scraper. It doesn't have to be super sharp, but sharp scrapes better.
    This one seems to have a good following.
    Quickly and easily remove caked on grease, burnt food, and other grime from your grill with this Nemco 55825 heavy duty 6" Easy Grill Scraper! It boasts an ergonomically designed construction for left or right hand use and features a short handle for added leverage so you can put more pressure on the blade for better results. The scraper is made of heavy duty cast aluminum and comes with a sharp stainless steel blade for long-lasting service. Overall Dimensions: Length: 16" Width: 6" Height: 4"

Comment

The issue is the meat is not directly contacting the grill as is your first. You have a buffer.

Turn up your grill to #11 and work faster. Do Twenty

As your cooking you have more and more between your meat and the surface. Your oil is browning but your meat is not. Add butter.

if you use oil with a high Smoke point you take longer to brown unless your cranked up.

My Wagyu sliders taste better without the crusty sear. I make a LOT OF THOSE.

Perhaps the flavor your chasing is not coming from where you think.
      my 2 cents anyways.

my flat top is on the back right and it took a while to learn this one. Everything cooks differently.

I love your story keep at it man!!!
      Attached Files

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        If I ever win the Lotto that will be my kitchen, at my private island lake house, and I will cook and eat until infinity and beyond......

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice.
        I run my FT at full blast always. Give what you suggest a bash.

I know next to nothing, but butter did pop in my head & then I read HouseHomey ‘s post. Butter does good to everything. Sometimes even beats bacon.

As far as the not so sharp scraper, you could keep it not so sharp with a "steel".
      Last edited by FireMan; February 27, 2019, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Going to make some Ghee and see how that works.

I don't even own a griddle so take this for what it's worth... is it possible that the second and third batches are sitting out of the refrigerator? Might starting with warmer meat make a difference?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I also wondered this, but ya got here first, before I got home, settled in, an could ask...

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        They are kept close by the FT so would a warmer patty ball make that huge a difference? Mr. Bones

I am warming up more and more to pre-smashing on parchment paper rather than on griddle. I suspect your challenge is a heat thing but there is clearly something between side 1 and the flip which is steaming the meat more than charring it. Maybe try having the entire griddle screaming hot, and flip to the un-cooked area but make sure it is dry, not greased so the surface has some meat to latch onto and do Maillard magic.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Like the idea of pre-smashing but then is it a smash burger.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Seems like using parchment between the smashing implement and the burger makes sense to minimize sticking. On the bottom definitely want maximum contact with the metal.

I know nothing about squash nor smash. I do know I not see pictures.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Just funning holehogg . do like to see your cooks!

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        holehogg , Hawk like pictures, Hawk want pictures, you give pictures, Hawk happy! 🕶

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan me look for pictures me not find me will take next time just for The Hawk.

Try deglazing your griddle in between batches. I do this and don't have a problem with consistency in burgers or anything else. Keep a squeeze bottle of water handy and when you get your first batch of burgers off squirt the water on the hot griddle. The water and steam pulls the left over meat bits up off the griddle. Then use your scraper while the water is evaporating and steaming. Last step is take some paper towels and wipe it off. Reapply oil and start the next batch.

Adds a few minutes to your process but it may solve your problem.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmm. me do like, n how. FireMan

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that sounds promising.

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        That's also how the cooks in my favorite Oriental restaurant clean their woks -- a slosh of water, scrape the wok clean, add oil, and go to the next cook.

If you're ever hungry in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, stop by the China Cafe. Not much for looks or atmosphere, but the place is clean, the staff is friendly, and the food is stellar.

holehogg I do what he says (👆@Frozen Smoke ) between different types of protein. Only I use club soda (from the fountain drink machine) at room temp. It works well to clean between sugary marinated proteins as also.

The Smoke that freezeth speak the truth.

Comment

You can smash as hard as you want if you do it immediately upon placing them on the griddle. Fat can’t run away until it heats and the harder you smash, the more surface conducts heat from the metal so more crust. Mine usually take 45-60 seconds total. Get a wall scraper or wallpaper scraper. Long enough handle to keep your hands off the surface and sharp enough to get every bit of crust when you flip.

I like to run my griddle at 550-650F for these. Above that and you can’t even get two down before you have to flip.

I suspect the latter batches are just not hitting a hot enough griddle, I think anything less than 400F won’t work as well.

Your CI pan probably had more ability to maintain temp between batches.

Try making some, cleaning, and then allowing ample time to heat the griddle between batches.
      Last edited by Polarbear777; March 1, 2019, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Cook a batch, clean with club soda and use a real griddle scraper; the two handed type with replaceable blade. Let reheat well before next batch. Bet that solves the problem.

Comment

I can hear the ticket machine just screaming. That’s the stuff nightmares are made of!!!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            "Wheel, Please!!!!"
            BTDT, an how !!!!!

Mornin, Homeslice!

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Sling that hash, Hashslinger!!!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here