Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite butter/oil for use on the griddle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite butter/oil for use on the griddle?

Hi from the frozen Great White North!

hat does everyone use for oil when cooking on your griddle? I have used canola and olive oils and they are great but have seen some videos of people using something they refer to as 'butter oil'. Google brings up a few products including Swirl and Phase which are butter flavored oils but the list of ingredients are not the healthiest. For the occasional cook I probably would just go with it but I plan to use the griddle a lot again this summer and don't need to negatively affect the health of my friends, family and I. So, what does everyone use and does anyone have experience with Swirl or Phase?

Thanks in advance!

If I need flavor on my Griddle I use ghee. I’ll look for my favorite video on how to make it and post it here.

Comment

Not my favorite video on Ghee but it shows you how to make it.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        This is the same video that I refer to when making my ghee. Pretty much spot on.

Ghee here as well. Also avocado oil takes high heat so I use it to sear in pans and on a griddle.

Comment

Butter, olive oil (not evoo), and the glorious bacon "juice". 🕶

Hey, the Great White North Is. Ya don’t have ta add frozen to it eh. A beer to ya eh. 🕶
        Last edited by FireMan; February 15, 2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• ssandy_561
          ssandy_561 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes yes yes. Don’t forget about bacon juice. It’s the one oil to rule them all.

• Barry Friesen
          Barry Friesen commented
          Editing a comment
          Beauty! Thanks eh?

Avocado oil for me.

Comment

Canola is fine. If I need to add flavor, I've got salt, pepper, herbs, spices, and EVOO or peanut oil for that.

Comment

A neighbour uses coconut oil to fry up potatoes for breakfast and got me hooked. It comes in a tub, solid white and hard, but melts up nicely and has a nice flavour.

Comment

Avocado Oil or Beef Tallow! Peanut Oil for frying.

I avoid the cheap blended or hydrogenated oils. Keep your fats healthy.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Same here. I don't fry much but have used Avocado oil instead of peanut oil for that too recently.

What I use on my cast iron and other indoor searing elements (griddle coming to the outdoor soon, maybe) is:
              Avocado oil, Olive Oil, tallow, lard, butter. Butter will usually be added to some light olive oil to give some color and flavor. The milk solids will burn under high heat, so it's a loser on it's own.

What I won't use: Canola, Soy, Corn, Vegetable, margarine, butter by itself.

What I would consider using: Coconut oil.

I would note here, as I have elsewhere, that research has shown that the smoke point of an oil is not a point of degradation of the oil. So, while Canola has a high smoke point, it degrades at a much lower temperature (arguably, it's degraded when you buy it, but that's a whole other discussion), while extra virgin olive oil will smoke at about 350 or so, but won't degrade until 450-500.

Ah, found it:

"This study reveals that, under the conditions used in the study, smoke point does not predict oil performance when heated. Oxidative stability and UV coefficients are better predictors when combined with total level of PUFAs. Of all the oils tested, EVOO was shown to be the oil that produced the lowest level of polar compounds after being heated closely followed by coconut oil."

Avo oil and Olive oil are basically the same stuff, just with slightly different flavor molecules. The Sat-Mono-Poly breakdown is very much the same.

I used to be a big canola consumer, doing a lot of post sous vide searing/frying in canola. It always tasted a bit fishy to me when heated, and I suspect, despite not smoking up my house excessively, it was degrading very rapidly in my pan, producing that fish smell. I won't allow it in my house anymore.

See below: https://medicine.temple.edu/news/can...le-researchers

"Curious about how canola oil affects brain function, Dr. Praticò and Elisabetta Lauretti, a graduate student in Dr. Pratico’s laboratory at LKSOM and co-author on the new study, focused their work on memory impairment and the formation of amyloid plaques and neurofibrillary tangles in an Alzheimer's disease mouse model. Amyloid plaques and phosphorylated tau, which is responsible for the formation of tau neurofibrillary tangles, contribute to neuronal dysfunction and degeneration and memory loss in Alzheimer's disease. The animal model was designed to recapitulate Alzheimer's in humans, progressing from an asymptomatic phase in early life to full-blown disease in aged animals.

Dr. Praticò and Lauretti had previously used the same mouse model in an investigation of olive oil, the results of which were published earlier in 2017. In that study, they found that Alzheimer mice fed a diet enriched with extra-virgin olive oil had reduced levels of amyloid plaques and phosphorylated tau and experienced memory improvement. For their latest work, they wanted to determine whether canola oil is similarly beneficial for the brain."

Yeah, I don't want amyloid plaques, phosporylated tau, tau tangles or any of that stuff. Runs in my family, so it's probably coming, but if I can do things to avoid it, I'm down for that. And so, I spend for the EVOO, and don't allow canola in my house.

Last edited by Potkettleblack; February 15, 2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Did you just call me a PUFA?

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree, and I sure don’t want to be recapitulated! Ughh, the thought! 🕶

Originally posted by Barry Friesen View Post
              Hi from the frozen Great White North!

hat does everyone use for oil when cooking on your griddle? I have used canola and olive oils and they are great but have seen some videos of people using something they refer to as 'butter oil'. Google brings up a few products including Swirl and Phase which are butter flavored oils but the list of ingredients are not the healthiest. For the occasional cook I probably would just go with it but I plan to use the griddle a lot again this summer and don't need to negatively affect the health of my friends, family and I. So, what does everyone use and does anyone have experience with Swirl or Phase?

Thanks in advance!
              What are you cooking?

Comment

• Barry Friesen
                Barry Friesen commented
                Editing a comment
                Could be anything really, Breakfast stuff ie eggs, shreaded potatoes, bacon/sausage, pancakes to rice, veggies, meats...whatever!

Bacon grease.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Or as I call it, bacon juice.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Smoked lard.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup.
                Or tallow...
                Hog squeezins / renderins, reckon is what I first heard, growin up, from folks...

bacon grease or tallow

Comment

Bacon grease for the win.

Comment

Avocado oil is my go to cooking oil. Nice flavor, takes heat. Sometimes bacon juice (love that term!). Butter (Kerry Gold unsalted) if I’m making pancakes or some kind of sweet breakfast stuff.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here