Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Fried Rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Fried Rice

Today, I made Fried Rice with Shrimp and Veggies for the first time on the Blackstone. Came out pretty good. Wife was happy with it so that is a plus. Seems like a key on making a stir fry on a griddle is using the right sauce and the right amount of moisture (not necessarily oil). Would appreciated any stir fry sauce recipes you folks use. Also, what is your technique with using moisture vs oil when doing the stir fry. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fried Rice 3.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	603949

We cook it very similar about 2-3 times a month, usually in a wok. Crowd favorite, even the kids love it !!! Yours looks good jlazar , add some soy and fish sauce to amp it up !!!

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      How much soy/fish/hoisin? My concern is that I could quickly overdo those items. They seem to be the most critical ingredients to balance.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Start with a teaspoon or so. You can always add more.
      I make fried rice with soy sauce and teriyaki sauce. That works well.

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      Go sparingly with the fish sauce; a little goes a long way.

That's a beautiful cook. Add the soy/fish/hoisin based on your tastes. The beauty of FR is you can do that in small doses, tasting as you go, until it gets where you like it. Man, I love my Blackstone and will do this soon.

Comment

Gotta love the things you can do on a flat top! That looks very excellent!

Comment

Originally posted by jlazar View Post
        Today, I made Fried Rice with Shrimp and Veggies for the first time on the Blackstone. Came out pretty good. Wife was happy with it so that is a plus. Seems like a key on making a stir fry on a griddle is using the right sauce and the right amount of moisture (not necessarily oil). Would appreciated any stir fry sauce recipes you folks use. Also, what is your technique with using moisture vs oil when doing the stir fry. Thanks in advance.

Name:	Fried Rice 3.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	603949
        Can you stare your recipe? It looks awesome. I got a Little Griddle for Xmas and need a starting point on fried rice

Comment

All of the items were bought at the local HEB in TX.

1 bag frozen white rice
          1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables (version that includes corn)
          1 bag of frozen precooked shrimp (small size was on sale)
          2-3 eggs
          Soy Sauce
          Teriyaki Sauce

Put a little canola oil on the griddle. Knob was set about half way.

Put the veggies in one pile and the rice in another.

Cooked each until tender and cooked through. Then moved to warm area of griddle.

Put a little more oil on griddle and cooked shrimp until warm and tender. (Don't overheat these). At same time, beat the eggs a little and cook on a separate part of the grill.

You can use a dome for the shrimp, veggies and rice if you choose.

Now the most important part. Bring shrimp, egg, rice and veggies together and mix well. Add soy, teriyaki or whatever combination you like. There are a lot of different fish sauces, hoison sauce, etc., that folks add. It is all a matter of test. Add a little of what you like at first and gradually add more until you get the flavor and amount that you like.

Remove and eat immediately.

Variations - you can add onion, green peppers, chilies, nuts, seeds, if you like. Just cook them at the same time as the rice and veggies.
          Last edited by jlazar; December 28, 2018, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I made this last night and used avocado oil, 1/4 cup mirin, 2 T soy sauce, 1 T sesame oil. I added the last three as the last step so everything was cooked in just oil until the finish. Click image for larger version

Name:	friedrice.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	614479

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful Work, Presentation, Platin, an Food, Brother!!!!

I'm assumin th Sake, an tea were out of frame, still heatin...

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              We had to settle for red wine. But thanks to you sake is now on the grocery list to pair with tonight's dinner which will happen to feature a side of fried rice.

If ya want to take your fried rice up a notch, add cooked and crumbled bacon. Add it just before serving and give the rice a stir or two to incorporate and slightly heat.

'cause everything is better with bacon!

Comment

Some tricks I've learned, over th decades, might help ya dial in yer stir fry to where yer desirin to be...

In addition to th most excellent advice, above, (soy, teriyaki, hoisin, fish sauce)

Gotta be careful with griddle temps, cause of smoke point, but sesame oil adds depth, an flavour to stir fry. Look fer th tins with th Dragons on em...

I also, typically, like to chuck in some Bok Choi, an also sliced water chestnuts, fer both taste, n textures...

Some celery, sliced diagonally, can be a right treat...

Onions, Green Onions, Shallots...ya know what to do, here...

Lil Worsh Yer Sister Sauce ain't a bad thing to incorporate into yer sauce receipt, as well...

Some scrambled eggs, up in there, ain't never a bad thing, either...

Garlic? Ginger? All fair game...

I tend to hang around th Spicy end of th food chain...

If ya like some heat, use yer imagination, an what ya enjoy, pepper-wise...

Thai peppers, Ghosties, Scorps, are all fair game to incorporate in yer fried rice...take Baby Steps, here, lest ya melt somebody's or yer own face off...

If ya prefer a milder Scoville Profile, poblanos, chipotle, jalapeños, serranos, etc. might be summat ya wanna experiment with...

Even Bell peppers make it into mine, frequently, as well as New Mexico types, a la Hatch style...

With any peppers, it can take it all up another notch, if they're roasted, or smoked, first...

Matchstickin yer fresh veggies makes fer a nice presentation...

Lil chunks of fruit can be a surprise treat, in yer rice mixture, as well...pineapple, mago, guava, apple, peach, plum, apricot...in limited proportion, can add another layer...

Asian Markets, if any are available in yer AO, can be a great source of ingredients, an inspiration...

Never met too many dishes, in my life, that Wasabi, or even jus Chinese Hot Mustard didn't add a layer to, open up th possibilities...

Lookin at yer beautiful Blackstone cook, up top, I find myself summat nostalgic, fer those days when I was runnin 2 8-foot Flattops, makin stir fry, fer 600-3500 mouths, durin one meal...

Summat...

Not quite as fondly remembered: th amount of prep it took to git alla that ready, fer Go Time...
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 28, 2018, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Awesome. I find that the rice has to be cold in order to fry correctly. I like to use white rice from my local Chinese spot. I throw it in the fridge and then cook it up the next day. I love to use Avo oil to fry the rice in, I add a little teriyaki, butter, salt and pepper at the end.

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, a day old rice is best but at the least getting it cooked a little ahead of time, and into the fridge uncovered long enough for it to cool and start to get a little stale is a very good idea.

This is th Sesame Oil I was introduced to, cookin commercially, an what I still buy:

Name:	roland-pure-sesame-seed-oil-10.gif.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	614573

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've been thinking of trying to find a new sesame oil one that doesn't come in a tiny bottle. Looks like you may have found it for me.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cheaper by th plastic gallon, at Amazon, than in th 56 oz. tins, fwiw...

Hope ya enjoy its toasted sesame goodness...

LMK What ya think, please...

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
                I love to use Avo oil to fry the rice in
                Try peanut oil. High smoke point and you'll get that subtle flavor from your favorite Asian restaurant.

Comment

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Attjack - You’re correct about the smoke point. My peanut oil recommendation is about the flavor you get when using it for stir frying.

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, peanut is a good choice and a traditional oil for Asian cooking.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Peanut, an avocado oils are both excellent choices fer any flattop, or food, an work admirably, in any conceivable situation!!! I keep em both on hand/in stock...

Please, do yerself, an me, a favour, by tryin th above sesame oil, with/in yer stir fry...

Address any resultin hate mail to my usual PM addy

(I also accept positive comments/PMs, as well...)

Here's a link that also has a few other recipe links with it.

This is THE Fried Rice recipe that will make you wonder why you ever paid for takeout! The secret is the Chinese restaurant fried rice sauce. Quick, easy!

and for my spam loving friends:

Comment

• jlazar
                  jlazar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the links.

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh man, crispy spam-fried rice with kimchi!

I want to make kimchi fried rice next time. I have a ham defrosting in the fridge for my first rotisserie cook. I'll use some of that for the Kimchi fried rice.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here