Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Blackstone the only griddle grill to consider?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Blackstone the only griddle grill to consider?

While I don't have the funds or space for one yet, the MCS is kicking hard for a flat-top griddle. Seems every other article is talking about griddles and it's almost always Blackstone. Made me wonder if they are that much superior to others or is it just a lack of competition/pricing? Does anyone have experience with both a Blackstone and one of the others like a Camp Chef, Blue Rhino, Royal Gourmet, etc. What particular features of Blackstone make them better than the rest?

I like the Blackstone because of the rear grease trap. It makes it easy to clean, and you are not pulling grease towards you as you cook. I don't find the body of the Blackstone to be anything special. The griddle is what really matters to me.

Comment

I can't help with your direct question, but thought I'd ask a counter-question. If you don't want to make the price or space commitment on a standalone griddle, have you considered the Drip 'N Griddle pan from ABCbarbecue.com, or even the 22" Arteflame griddle insert for your kettle? Might be a less expensive way to ease into griddle cooking.

Comment

• sos2979
        sos2979 commented
        Editing a comment
        I do have a lodge griddle I use on my Weber some and have been pretty happy. It just doesn't give you as much space. I also used it for my wife's fish so I think it is going to become my fish griddle and will need something else for meat.

you've identified the competition and got a couple other ideas....on the space front, I got the 22" Blackstone and store it in my camper...I have adored that thing from moment 1 and used the hell out of it this summer.

Comment

I have a blackstone 36. What I liked about it over the others (Camp Chef):

1. Lower price
        2. Front lip, rear grease drain.

Now is is it "better"? I think so. Because the price is on average $60 less. The Camp Chef comes ready to use as a grill without a flat top.....but I don’t consider that to be a big deal because as a regular grill it will get a lot of flare ups and you have to find a place for the big heavy top.

However both are proven as great griddles.

I would avoid the Blue Rhino griddle. It’s the same price as Blackstone but lacking the reputation. Not saying it isn’t good too, just that for the same price as a blackstone it offers no advantages.

Comment

I recently got a Camp Chef 3 burner off of Craigslist. Right now I only have a griddle over one burner, but I plan on eventually getting griddles to cover the other burners as well once it goes on sale. Frozen Smoke pointed out to me a big benefit to the Camp Chef, you aren't stuck with a standalone griddle. While I wouldn't use the normal grates as a gas grill, it works really well as an outdoor stove. I used it camping and we always had a pot or pan over one of the other burners for hot chocolate or something else. I also plan to use it for frying or other smelly cooking when I don't want to stink up the house. Lastly, while it certainly isn't small, the legs come right off and it does store fairly flat.

As a final benefit, there are a lot more options for Camp Chef to be found on Craigslist than there are Blackstone. I recommend getting a 3-burner 16" model like the Expedition or Denali (same model) like I got

Comment

Once I really did the research I realized all the advantages of the camp stove and griddles. Portability was so much easier than a dedicated flat top. The versatility of mix and match griddles, pots and pans or grill and pizza boxes made it a no brainer for me! You will enjoy your purchase PBCDad

Comment

I just got the 36 inch Blackstone with the rear grease trap a short time ago but really love cooking on it. I think I blame Mr. Bones as he got one first. Made me really want one.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Entirely my fault, Brother! Congrats!
                At least, I usually do, (blame me), so ya can go right on ahead, blame me, an I'll jus add it to th list.
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 12, 2018, 04:18 PM.

I have a camp chef double burner and use it for camping seen all this commotion about flat tops so I went and bought camp chef it 14” x31” flat top grill for it and I have a 14” w 14” grill and gribble so can use the other burner for any thing I want. As I type this I can now see I need a wok so I can stir fry and do fried rice 🤔

Comment

The difference is personal preference and what I like to think of as rear view mirror syndrome. Get what will work for you with the space you have available and budget so you don't always second guess if you should have chosen another manufacturer. They are all quite similar.

Comment

i like the versatility of my camp chef. it usually stays rigged as a pizza oven though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here