Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Halibut on the flat top oven!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halibut on the flat top oven!

Surprised the wife with a halibut filet. She loves it but will never buy it. I ran across a nice filet in the reduced price freeze or lose it bin at the local grocery. Only one so I grabbed it figuring I'd make it for her. I dredged it in seasoned flour and then egg wash and then grated parm and on the flat top. It browned up right away like in the first 2 minutes but the filet wasn't near cooked.

Realizing I probably need a oven to finish this thing without burning the outside to a crisp and I don't have a oven out in my man cave it occurred to me I do have one. Turn the heat off the flat top and cover the halibut. Worked perfect! After about 10 minutes and flipped once it was perfectly cooked. The residual heat along with being covered stopped the frying and created a oven.

Nice and golden just the way I know she likes it but still nearly raw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	halibut.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	531626

The oven. I know it's such a simple thing and probably nothing new but it was one of those Duuhhh moments for me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	halibut oven.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	531627

Sorry no after pics but it looked almost exactly like the first pic anyhow. Plated it covered in foil and brought it in with a couple lemon wedges. I know she's excited when she takes pics of her food and texts her friends!

Looking at your pics I just realized it was probably from you I learned to use those magnets for handles. Thank you. I now use them for lid handles, holding foil on my prep table when windy, securing my covers and a host of other uses. Again thanks.

Comment

Donw They are handy and cheap aren’t they? Never thought of some of the uses you mentioned good ideas! They also make them with hooks to hang utensils etc. plan on getting some of those as well.

Comment

Congrats on the food and figurin' out how to do it right.

Comment

Halibut, flounder and other flat fish species are some of my favorite fish ever. Nice idea grilling it on a flat, I’ve always baked, fried or smoked. I’m sure the flat top gave it a nice skin. Also love the impromptu cover !!!

Comment

Halibut is a very fine fish indeed! I usually poach it though. And now I need to think about SV-ing it.

Comment

Boy, you really roughed up that lid puttin a handle on it. Gentle next time, although a nice pic.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
                Frozen Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                Haha! Yeah she’s a little rough but a real flat top warrior!!

I love Halibut! Great looking cook. Grated Parm? Oh hell yes!

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
                Frozen Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Spinaker she said the parm was a nice touch! I think I unliked your post by mistake I’m working from my phone from a campground. Fat and greasy and beer fingers ya know make mistakes!!

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahahahaha, perfectly understandable, my friend! You've got plenty of other stuff to worry about! Enjoy the camping!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here