Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deep Frying on a Blackstone or Other Gas Griddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deep Frying on a Blackstone or Other Gas Griddle

I'm wondering if I could deep fry on a Blackstone, just firing up one or two burners and putting the CI skillet or Dutch Oven on it. Seems like it would be safer than over a direct flame. Anybody done that?

I know Polarbear777 puts his CI Dutch Oven directly over the SnS on his kettle but if, heaven forbid, the pot foamed over, or splattered a big dollop of oil, it could get scary pretty quickly for me. I'd hate to burn the house down. I guess the key is to work carefully all the time.

Also, my grills and smokers are on my Trex-covered back deck, which I try to keep clean using grill mats, but splatters seem to want to land everywhere but the mat. I'm thinking that the grease splatters would land on the Blackstone cooktop instead.

Meathead mentioned that he is working on an outside deep frying setup, but I haven't seen anything as yet.

Kathryn

I've been using my propane fired deep fryer for years. It comes with a variety of pot sizes from small to large for turkeys and crap boils. Even have a fry basket for the smaller vessels. They aren't very expensive, had mine so long I don't even remember what I paid for it.

As to your deck, you know me I'm all about the clean work area. I just went to HD or Lowe's and got some of those big rubber like entry mats and put them under my cookers. If there is a spill they hose over pretty well. And if they get too gunked up, just replace. Can get them on sale pretty reasonably.

Comment

Those burners I believe are 15,000 btu's and I'm not certain what type of recovery time you can muster. Good question, Spinaker Steve B

Comment

Kathryn ... you could probably do it but, depending on the size (and specifically the area of the base) of your frying pot, it would likely be pretty inefficient. The 36" Blackstone has a 720 sq. in. griddle and advertises 60000 BTU total ... which works out to roughly 83.3 BTU/sq. in. You'll also want to consider whether your frying pot has a sufficiently flat (and smooth) bottom surface so that you maximize conductive heating.

Have you perhaps considered a portable induction cooktop instead as a no-flame alternative to grills, griddles, and propane burners in general?

Mike

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I did think about it, and have yet to try it outside. I tried my induction burner inside with a Copper Chef dutch oven and it was a disappointment. That was most likely due to the thin-walled Copper Chef pot, not the induction burner. I'll try it outside with my CI dutch oven and see what happens.

Thanks, Mike.

Kathryn

I've tried using a skillet on my 22" Blackstone. Was dissapointed.

Getting the griddle surface hot enough to really transfer much heat to the pan really screwed up the seasoning on the griddle surface.

I agree with MBMorgan - when I need a burner for frying I'll keep use one of my portable induction burners on my prep table.

Comment

• allsid
        allsid commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking portable induction cookers too. Mine is way underpowered for deep frying but I recently saw an interesting post from the local culinary school where they were using them at stand-alone cooking stations. It made me think if you had 2-4 good ones, you may not even need a stove anymore. Could be a really interesting way to set up a kitchen, both indoor and outdoor.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll have to try my portable induction burner outside, Histrix, and see how it goes. Thanks. Thanks for the insight about the Blackstone too.

Kathryn

Direct over coals and also direct over a 60,000btu kahuna propane burner is the only way I go.

Yes if it spills over it would be exciting but can remotely switch off the propane or close the lid on the grill and I have a full fire extinguisher near my work area. I keep the DO lid handy too. My area is all stone pavers.

That said a 7 qt or large DO is heavy and unlikely to tip and if you leave plenty of headroom you don’t have to worry about spillovers. I usually have it half full.

I dont know know how much power the black stone can put out and if that would be enough.

Any of these options beats beats doing it inside.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree that deep frying outside is the way to go. I've looked at dedicated in house fryers but they're too small and don't have the recovery. I want to use my CI pans, so will try the induction burner with them and see.

Thanks for the info.
        Kathryn

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        There has to be induction burners with real power out there.

Get the grillbox accessory. Then yea.

Comment

I have used the turkey fryer like Troutman but I probably would not put it up on my deck.

Comment

Ernest posted the induction burner he uses, induction is a good choice for you right needs. Here at work we have about a dozen or so that are used often and with great success.

Kathyrn that is certainly an an option and they are super efficient but then you are back to the pot size question.

Im at work now but not in the kitchen today, if I'm able I'll see if I can get a shot.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, @HouseHomey.
            K.

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Works so beautifully with smallish skillets/ pots. I can get oil up to 400 degrees

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmm, the operative word here being smallish, Ernest . I'm looking more at using a 6 qt dutch oven. That might be too much for an induction burner. But what the hey, I'll give it a go.

Thanks,
            Kathryn

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
          I've been using my propane fired deep fryer for years. It comes with a variety of pot sizes from small to large for turkeys and crap boils. Even have a fry basket for the smaller vessels. They aren't very expensive, had mine so long I don't even remember what I paid for it.

As to your deck, you know me I'm all about the clean work area. I just went to HD or Lowe's and got some of those big rubber like entry mats and put them under my cookers. If there is a spill they hose over pretty well. And if they get too gunked up, just replace. Can get them on sale pretty reasonably.

I am anxious to hear how the crap boil turned out. That's probably one I will never try though...

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmmm wondering if it would taste like chicken 🐓😮

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            👆👆he said crap. Hehehe💩

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            I was going to comment on that. I KNEW someone would beat me to it!!

Kathryn - if you are thinking of doing your fryin' outdoors now, why not just get a dedicated fryer? They you would have the capacity you are looking for, and something designed to do what you want.

These fryers are probably at the top of my MCS list, but my wife thinks fried foods are evil, so no chance of getting this by her...

Versatile, high performance, low maintenance gas fryers that are unsurpassed in quality. 1 basket 2.5 gallon fryer is a single basket fryer that comes in table top models or with stands. 2 basket 4-gallon, 2 basket 6-gallon fryers come with a stand and can be separated from the stand to use as a table-top or tailgate model. 3 basket fryer – 8 1/2-gallon fryer is bolted to the stand (not for tabletop use). Custom sizes are available by special order only. High quality basket design for easy, safe frying Baskets have a nickel plated finish and are long lasting rugged construction. Each basket has evenly distributed wire mesh for perfect frying every time. Plastic coated handles that stay cool to the touch. User friendly assembly and includes “dip & flip” baskets.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Ron. I have one and it’s a beast. I got the FF2-R.
            It holds 5 gallons of oil. fzxdoc if,as RonB said you want a dedicated outdoor fryer than this is your cooker.

Oh and Kathryn you’ll Want to get the double basket as well. Click image for larger version  Name:	B0FC8878-B9D4-4E6A-BB29-3D9B1084F717.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.13 MB ID:	510551Click image for larger version  Name:	E57BDD0B-8E96-49CD-80E4-BD5D5FAC5053.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	510552

Comment

RonB and Steve B , how do you get the oil out of those fryers? Is there some sort of spigot? And what about cleaning?

Thanks!

Kathryn

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Who needs a a sedan? We will sell you that military style Hummer, don't you worry.😀

Steve has one, so he can better speak to cleaning, but there is a spigot on the front of each model for draining the oil.

Comment

Could always go with this. Would seem to deliver the power and control you’d need for any frying.

Of course there have to be others out there that have the power without the crazy tight control this one has, unless you are willing to sell you entire cooking fleet and then some.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Wowza, Polarbear777 , $1800 is a bit out of my price range, but you're right, there must be others out there in a more affordable range. Thanks for the link.

K.

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                I found several 1800W ones on amazon for 70 bucks or so.

Of course that’s power consumed not any measure of efficiency or output.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here