Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Griddle help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Griddle help please.

I’m thinking of adding a griddle to my arsenal. I have some cast iron pans which I love but for some bigger meals I need more room. I don’t think I want a seperate griddle device but am not set against it if it makes sense to go that way. Was thinking of something I could lay over my burners in the kitchen or on my grill. Ideas and suggestions welcomed.

A Baking Steel griddle comes to mind, but just buying a piece of 1/4" plate steel cut to size might be cheaper. If you are lucky, you might find a piece of scrap plate close enough to the size you need.

Comment

I have this one. Last time I used it I used it on the stove top for pulled pork quesadillas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180507_190610.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	507910

Comment

allsid

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180529_233447.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.38 MB ID:	507940Click image for larger version  Name:	20180529_233345.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.22 MB ID:	507941

If you are looking for something to go over two gas burners you simply can't go wrong with Lodge. They have two different sizes and one of them is sure to work. I have the smaller one that fits my stove top over the center oval burner or two burners on the side and it is my goto for pancakes and hash browns. It also works well in the oven for fries, and out on the grill for veggies. It is seasoned to the point where I never need to do more than scrape it off with a SS spatula, a chain mail scrubber, or paper towels.
          Last edited by boftx; May 30, 2018, 12:39 AM.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, that's what we've got. Works really well.

The large baking steel griddle is my favorite. Thick (3/8”) and fits over two burners and fits on s 26” kettle (but not in a 22). They have different sizes depending on what you need. They had a round one at one time also but I don’t see it now. Can make pizza on it in an oven also.

A plain steel plate would work but you need the grease groove around the edge or grease will ignite on your heat source.

Explore our collection of Baking Steel Griddles . Perfect on your stove top. Works with both gas and electric stovetops, induction or even over the campfire. The "Worlds best home cooking surface". A french plancha for the home cook.
          Last edited by Polarbear777; May 30, 2018, 05:08 AM.

Comment

I think a setup like what Attjack posted is a good solution to what you may be after. The box stores often have griddle plates by known manufacturers on deal. From your image, it looks like you may have a KK in which case, the KettleQ is a good accessory as well.

Comment

Wow...from looking at everything I am having more confusion on what to do but this is helping me narrow down what I want. I am thinking I might want to go with a larger 4 burner cover griddle for my stove and forgo the grill use. i will use it mainly for larger breakfasts and stir fries which I don't use the grill for them now.
              The measurements of the four burners is about 22'x22".

I see some brands in steel but nothing that size in cast iron.
              Last edited by Sfdrew28; May 30, 2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                Spinaker can tell you best the comparison of CI vs. steel

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I would get an outdoor griddle, like a Blackstone or a Camp Chef. They work fantastic for doing breakfast and anything else really. And the griddle surface is Cast iron, so it holds heat very well. A cast iron griddle is great because it retains heat so well as such, they are great for searing.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                A steel griddle will work too but they are not non-stick nor do they retain the heat when you are putting them to heavy work. (Unless you have a ton of BTUs push the griddle back up to temp.)

I use a camp chef stove with the removable griddle topper. Also have the italia pizza oven topper (stays rigged that way mainly) great cooker, portable, and can get the traditional grill style topper if need be. I also have a griddle that fits the griddle burner of my stove or my regular gasser. plus the gasser has a small black iron griddle/sear plate on the side that fits about 3 big burgers or 2 huge ribeyes.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
                Sfdrew28 commented
                Editing a comment
                I like the camp chef griddle tops but I think they’d fit poorly on my stove. I liked the high sides and large cooking area.

Sfdrew28 do you have a kettle? If so maybe you need an Arteflame insert.

Name:	IMG_20170914_190514_316.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	508411

Comment

• Sfdrew28
                Sfdrew28 commented
                Editing a comment
                I don’t but that cool!

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                They are cool and work great !!!

I use the lodge cast iron griddle. I would recommend the biggest size you can fit on your grill, or size down if you usually cook only small amounts.

Comment

I thought about a stand alone griddle to replace my aging gas grill. But I already have a large "little griddle". So I’m thinking I will just replace the old gasser with something nice, possibly a Weber Genesis II that will last forever and have readily available replacement parts. The little griddle I have will sit over the heat bars over the burners.
                For the outdoor cook who demands professional quality results, we present our new professional quality cookware. The Professional Series GQ-230 griddle is the ultimate performer in outdoor cookware, and it is Little Griddle's flagship product. Crafted from heavy gauge stainless steel and manufactured to the highest standards, the GQ-230 turns your grill into an outdoor kitchen and makes a full range of cooking possibilities a reality. If you can saute it on your stove or bake it in your oven, you can cook it on your grill with your Professional Series griddle. Built from 100% stainless steel, our Professional Series griddles feature a full-width grease well and generous sidewalls, as well as underside cross-bracing to promote even heating. Removable handles fasten securely and allow for easy movement, and remove quickly for cleaning. Fun to cook on and simple to clean right on the grill, our Professional Series griddles deliver gourmet results to the serious outdoor cook. Specifications:Material - 100% Stainless SteelLimited Lifetime WarrantyRemovable Handles4" Sidewall Height (2" above cooking surface)Dim. W/Handles - 25" W x 16.0" D x 6.5" HDim. W/O Handles: 23.5" W x 16.0" D x 4.0" HWeight - 16.0 lbs.Please measure the interior of your grill to ensure a proper fit, and allow 0.5" on each side for proper airflow.

Comment

Baking steel griddle pics.

Name:	C78D562B-1124-4E09-9FE8-64150FB1FCA8.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	508427

Name:	6C5A5E09-B2B7-43A7-8C7A-901DA5C586B9.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	508426Click image for larger version

Name:	989A2F23-3595-4C86-8E26-8E804C4FBB82.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	508425

Name:	26B01238-687E-4F61-AB20-D8A1BC38CBC6.png
Views:	181
Size:	644.2 KB
ID:	508428

Comment

• Sfdrew28
                    Sfdrew28 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    On second thought this looks really nice. I was just concerned if I’m cooking breakfast for six people or so I’d need one that covers four burners instead of two.

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have tried two of these to cover all four burners on my gas range but it blocks enough of the air that the burners snuff out. Your range may be different but something to be aware of.

Over two burners works just fine and you can run at a steady 400F+ and work in batches. Outside you can get it up around 700F+ easily.

Just note that it is heavy and takes a very long time to cook down.

• Sfdrew28
                    Sfdrew28 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good info. That’s the second time someone mentioned the flame snuffing out when using four burners. I suppose I’ll go with a two burner. I was just hoping I could cook for six people in one big batch instead of two. So now it’s between the lodge and this baking steel.

I just bought a Camp Chef Cast Iron Griddle at our Fleet/Farm Store. Check this out. https://www.campchef.com/cast-iron.html

Comment

• Sfdrew28
                    Sfdrew28 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Skip, I like the style and look of camp chef. My one concern was how it would fit on my stove with the drip pan part. Do you use it on the stove top?

OK my 2 cents worth, pretty much thee same as above. I thought about buying a separate flat top griddle but opted instead to multi-task my gasser and bought the Camp Chef CI griddle top instead. It's massive, about as big as any I'v found on the market. I've cooked a dozen burgers with all kinds of sliced veggies at the same time with no sweat what-so-ever. It's reversible with a flat side and a raised grill side. Anyway, lot's of options out there, good luck !!!

Name:	Camp Chef Griddle.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	508639

Comment

• Sfdrew28
                    Sfdrew28 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @troutman-you know the measurements offhand on that? My stovetop is 22x22 and my cooker can hold 22x21.

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Then this one is too big, its 16"x24", really large. They do make one that's 14"x16" but I'm thinking too small for your purposes. There are others on the market, search Amazon, there are several that are like 10"x20". Hope you find one !!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here