Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp Chef vs Blackstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camp Chef vs Blackstone

Hi Everyone,

I currently have a RecTec RT 680 and love it. I am looking for a flat top to compliment it. I am down to either the 36” Blackstone or the 36” Camp Chef. This is a tough call.

What I read about the Camp Chef that I like is the leveling legs, fold down shelves and they seem to have more accessories, but I cant always eat features and I want a grill that really cooks well. I have read that the Camp Chef cooks hot and you really cannot turn the heat down but so low. I have read that there is greater control with the Blackstone in regard to controlling heat and not dealing with burnt food.

I would love to hear the opinions of the experts.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I don't have any experience with either but I like the shelf accessory for the Blackstone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1554-lifestyle-l.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	499778

Comment

I have played with them all a bit. The new Rhino Razor to boot. It seemed the cheapest build. I love the Blackstone, and the Camp Chef. I am NOT a seasoned vet on either, however I do own two Camp Chefs. (Long story). The Camp Chef has only two strikes against it now that I have used it a few times. Indeed it does run a bit hotter. Low is probably a good Med or Med-low on a Blackstone. The other is the pre-seasoning that the Camp Chef comes with. Personally I don't want the "Lodge" cast iron look on my flat top. I can't wait to sand it off and have some smooth steel to start fresh with. As to build quality, they are both way up there. The ONLY reason I Chose the Camp Chef over the Blackstone was the fact that each burner (knob) has its own igniter. I simply did not like the fact that on the Blackstone you have to start the far left burner, (Only one with ignition) and work your way across to the far right burner. Funny that way. I think either would be the perfect choice. Especially now that I hear the Blackstone has addressed the grease problem.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        The thing I do like about that Rhino Razor is the hole in the corner of the flat top which drains into a drain cup, great idea. I don’t like the drain rail in the others. As u say poorly built Chinese junk otherwise.

• Nightrayne
        Nightrayne commented
        Editing a comment
        Recently bought a 28" Blackstone and each burner knob has its own igniter. It may be that you were looking at an older model or that the smaller Blackstones use a "U" shaped burner and the igniter is on the left side of the U. I know the 36" Blackstone has an igniter for each knob too and those are straight burners.

I have a Blackstone and a good friend of mine has the Camp Chef. Overall not much difference in them as far as cooking ability goes. Their like any other cooker, the mire you use it the better you get. It boiled down to price for me, Blackstone was having a great sale so I jumped on it....and I’m VERY satisfied with it.

Comment

I have only used the Blackstone 36”, I do like the temperature range and the grill in general.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
          DavidNorcross commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you have any issues with the grease? There have been complaints in this one area.

• SMOG MAN
          SMOG MAN commented
          Editing a comment
          I make sure it is angled towards the drain, there is a hole in mine in the trench above the catch bucket, I have not had any problems yet. There is a add-on funnel part that to me looks like it would work well if needed.

I own a camp chef. Love it. so versatile and WAY more mobile. O have the pizza oven attachment for mine and it cooks great pies too!

Comment

Thank you all for your replies so far.

Comment

I can't say anything about the camp chef, but I do own a 28" Blackstone. The only thing I wish is that it is a little taller. I am 6'3" tall and the Blackstone is a little too short in the leg height for me to stand up perfectly straight and cook. Don't know if other flat tops can be adjusted higher than the one I have - but it would be good to double check it in person if you can. So far I have been very happy with my 28" in all other aspects - especially for the price I paid for it.

Comment

I researched these for quite awhile. I wound up with the Camp Chef Pro 90 X 3 burner camp stove and bought the separate griddles for it. The versatility I get from it is awesome. The breakdown and portability is awesome. I can have 2 burners used for heating the griddle and one open burner for a sauce pan or something. Or one burner for a griddle and 2 open burners or griddles to cover all 3 burners. The heat control is no problem as all 3 burners are 50,000 btu each.
              I can highly recommend this set up.

Name:	SANY0001.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	500244

Name:	SANY0002.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	500245

Name:	SANY0004.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	500246

Name:	SANY0003.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	500247

Comment

• Madsmoke
                Madsmoke commented
                Editing a comment
                I have been leaning this way especially for use with my RV. Are the griddles all cast iron, or do they sale a rolled steel? How are you liking the setup?

Can't speak for the Blackstone, but my 2-burner Camp Chef is a tailgating machine! Enough power for high temp griddle and grill box, and does a great job with lowcountry boils and oyster roasts. Love the portability.

Comment

I have the Blackstone 28 inch with only 2 burners and I love it, it cooks some eggs like nobodies business and sears steaks like a champ.

Comment

I think it really comes down to personal preference and budget. I have cooked on both, often at the same time and the group of people in this club should have no issues controlling temperature on either. Speaking of temperature, on my 2 burner I often only use 1 and on my 4 burner I often only use 2 of the 4 burners. For whatever that is worth-

Comment

Madsmoke I believe the griddles are seasoned steel. They perform very well out of the box and continue to get better with use. I love this set up and am more happy with my purchase now after several months of use. I researched the Black Stone's the Blue Rhino and the Camp Chef stand alone's before I decided on this set up. The others just didn't have the portability I was looking for as we have a RV as well and wanted to be able to take this with us.

Besides the portability the versatility of this unit is something you won't get with the others. You can have a 24" griddle and one open burner or a 12" griddle with 2 open burners. Great for camping!

Here's the other thing i really like. We make scrambled eggs pretty much exclusively. I always make my eggs on the 12" griddle separate from the other griddle with the breakfast meat and potatoes or french toast or pancakes.

I like my eggs to be nice and yellow and taste like eggs, When you cook them on the griddle with other items they get dirty looking and taste like whatever else. Now a lot of people like their eggs that way and want them getting that bacon or sausage grease and that's fine I'm just not one of them.

The unit as you see in the pics along with the transport bags for the griddles a vinyl cover for outdoor protection and the roller bag to transport the stove ran about $500. More than what you will pay for the stand alone's but you also get much more.

Comment

I have a Razor...came down to that or a Blackstone. I do not care about portability in the least.
                      The Razor won out because the "drain" on the Blackstone, at the time, was terrible...with MANY complaints and hundreds of "workarounds." It just seemed like a hassle.

Overall i I like it...and the way the shelves become a cover is really slick. The newly designed Blackstone would be compelling because it’s highly rated and seems well built.

Comment

I have the 36" Blackstone and I really like it. My buddy has the Camp Chef with the griddle accessories and it is really nice as well.
                        The Camp Chef wins on portability but the Blackstone has more usable surface.
                        I don't think you can go wrong with either one, just depends on how you are going to use it.
                        I think it is a win either way.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here