Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other than Blackstone or Camp Chef...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other than Blackstone or Camp Chef...

The gas grill that came with the house I bought is on its last legs. It was nice, made for Lowe’s by Altima - but the igniters don’t work and the searing burner is shot and the rotisserie burner won’t stay on and the brick lined box is getting rust holes. I can’t find exact replacement parts and with the new Primo here....it’s time.

The more I think about it the more I want a griddle. I don’t really see a need for a gas grill with the Primo around.

After doing my basic research I have one question. Realistically is there another choice OTHER THAN the Blackstone or Camp Chef? I kind of like that I can make the Blackstone a grill if I want to, but that isn’t a deal breaker.

My budget is flexible, as soon as I pay down some of the debt used for the Primo (I’m using a credit card with 0% APR for 15 months, so the cost isn’t as painful). However I really don’t want to spend another grand if I don’t have to. I’m just saying if $200 or $300 more than the Blackstone gets me much better stuff I’m game. I live in south Florida so rust and corrosion is a constant battle. Stainless steel cook top would be oh so awesome.

Hey, SmokeyGator I just wrote a book on griddle grilling so I may be able to lend some insight into your question. Blackstone and CampChef are the big 2 currently in the griddle grill space. Blue Rhino (propane) also has one which I have not seen or cooked on which also seems interesting. One thing about the griddle grill I enjoy is the dedicated griddle surface which collects the grease. I could not imagine the grease cleanout converting it back and forth from a griddle to a normal gasser.

On the other hand, I am also a Kamado guy and there are some fun options for your Primo. GrillGrates inverted make a solid griddle surface but they would not work for pancakes. GrillGrates also makes a griddle which like the original GrillGrate will work on any surface. I also have a Kettle-Q where I can make pancakes on the Kamado or any drippy, cheesy concoction.

I own two griddle grills at the moment. A CampChef 36" and a Blackstone 22". They are both super fun to cook on and each has distinct advantages. The 22 is smaller, has 2 burners and takes less time to heat, so less fuel used. The bigger 36" has 4 burners, but I almost never use all of them unless I am trying to get it to pre-heat quickly.

Blackstone has a stainless option which I have not seen or tried but it may be a good option for you in Florida. Blackstone is also making covers for the griddle grills now, and I purchased an aftermarket cover for both of mine for about $ 60 each.

Cast Iron griddle plates work well too on the Primo, gasser, stovetop, campfire or wherever.

I think you will enjoy a griddle regardless of your decision.

Cheers- Paul

Click image for larger version

Name:	CfKQJBTcQ0OdOQ7pDQtDUQ.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	480576

Comment

I saw a blue rhino one at Lowes over the weekend and it looked alright.

Comment

Baking steel is another option. They have a range of sizes and work great right on the grate over the coals.
        Useful indoors too (but what’s the fun in that?)
        Makes a good pizza stone as well. Treated like a cast iron pan it will probably outlive you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	52A075B1-0C5A-439D-95C1-60D427932FF4.jpeg
Views:	291
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	480593Click image for larger version

Name:	F7B6AE5C-8925-4E00-B9A8-E400A580EC30.jpeg
Views:	300
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	480594Click image for larger version

Name:	76729133-F3CF-471F-A2C2-2E50C31A1518.png
Views:	313
Size:	603.3 KB
ID:	480595

Comment

"I just wrote a book on griddle grilling so I may be able to lend some insight into your question."

Holy crap....is that thing published yet??? allsid
          ​​​​​​​I was looking at a stainless 36 blackstone. Sometimes I'm cooking for 50-70.

Comment

• allsid
            allsid commented
            Editing a comment
            Soon- very soon. Thank you for asking!

• allsid
            allsid commented
            Editing a comment
            They go bigger Jerod Broussard. Camp Chef has a 60" and I have heard rumors of a Blackstone 50" too if you are cooking for the entire marching band.

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            allsid I was gonna ask the same question.
            That’s awesome. Please let us know when your book becomes available. BTW my stainless Blackstone should arrive tomorrow. I’m pumped.

That’s the one that I order Jerod Broussard it’s supposed to be delivered tomorrow

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Kewl. Home depot has a good sale on it.

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s where I ordered it from.

I had a custom griddle top made by "Griddle Master" for a Blaze 34” natural gas grill I found used. The griddle top shipped quickly, the quality is awesome and I love it. Definitely get the top with the extra support underneath if you go that way. They can make one for nearly any grill. I also have a Blackstone 36” I plan on using where I need to transport away from home, It also is awesome.

Comment

There are many options, particularly of the stainless steel, outdoor kitchen variety in higher price ranges. If you're looking for a full-size, stand alone, gas powered griddle for under $1,000, I don't know of any models better than Camp Chef and Blackstone.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am now much more certain that really I have 2 choices and will likely go with the Blackstone, because I can get a grill box accessory if I want it.

I have a stainless steel griddle that fits on my existing gas grill, but that gas grill is also on its last legs. A replacement is due. I also have a cast iron griddle but I like to do fried rice and other stuff that tends to scatter, not just steaks and burgers. I will also likely get cast iron plates for the Primo at some point, just because why not. Reverse searing is always fun.

But for scattered foods like rice or corned beef hash or cheesesteaks and various rabbit foods, I think that a purpose built flat iron cooker is what I want.

I’m thinking the 28 will be fine. That’s twice as wide as what I’m using now. But I can measure the space and get whichever fits in better. I may never use the indoor kitchen again, unless there is a hurricane preventing me from opening the back door because the storm panels are up.

Comment

I purchased a 3 burner Camp Chef stove and bought the separate griddles for it. I am very pleased with it. It packs up well for portability in the rv and has a lot of versatility to it. I can use it as a gas stove a griddle or both.

I looked real hard at the Big John's commercial flat top. Very high quality and breaks down pretty nicely for transport. If your cooking for crowds often this would be the first and last one you will need but it comes at a cost of $1500.
                I have a Big John's portable 3 bay steam table and it's built like a tank but yet easy to transport. They have some of the best stuff out there if it's worth the price to you.

Comment

The camp chef. It also has a traditional grill topper, a griddle topper, you can use it as a range, and the Artisan pizza topper is awesome (i love mine). It has every option you can think of, and many are split so you can have half grill have griddle, or half griddle small pizza oven. I am pretty sure it has a traditional oven attachment as well. The burners on them are fantastic and REALLY put out a TOM of BTUs. KenC52 (dad) called me yesterday to ask what I think of mine, and I can only give rave reviews.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
                    Frozen Smoke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Camp Chef's customer service is top notch I can't speak for Blackstone's as I've never used it myself or have heard anything either way with them.

I've been thinking of picking up one of those grill toppers for my Camp Chef before summer camping season arrives if it ever does. Besides it looks like we will be camping in the rv out in the driveway for awhile while the kitchen is being remodeled this summer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here