Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don’t Be Lazy With Your Griddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don’t Be Lazy With Your Griddle

When you don’t feel like wheeling the griddle around your house through the snow to the garage, please think twice. You pay the price one way or another.

If you do get lazy, a set of wire wheels/cups/flap wheels and a benzomatic torch for getting the edges and corners are a great help.
    Attached Files

jhapka Yeah, I can see where that could be an issue.

Comment

That would be me, for sure

Comment

That's why I love my EVO. It's exposed to the weather year round and never rusts.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Whats the top on that thing made of?

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          texastweeter It's well seasoned steel about 1/4" thick and the stainless the rest of it is made of is very high quality. Of course I keep the SS lid on to protect the cooking surface when I'm not using it.
          Last edited by Attjack; May 29, 2022, 09:53 AM.

jhapka look on the bright side.................it keeps you in practice on re-seasoning.

Comment

Accidentally left mine out in the rain about a year ago. Wire wheel treatment and reseasoning and it was as good as new! Of course, it’s easier if you put it away. 🤣😎🤣

Comment

• jhapka
            jhapka commented
            Editing a comment
            MUCH easier

Wow, sorry to see that. Yeah, they say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - definitely appropriate in this case.

I don't take the best care of mine, but I did get the version with the attached lid that folds down over it AND I got the cover for it too. Though it irritates the fire out of me that I paid $50 for that cover and it doesn't fit right. Grrrrr... it covers it, but it's a tight fit and still doesn't go all the way down or 'drape' properly. It's obvious it wasn't made for the specific model I have. <sigh>

Comment

• jhapka
            jhapka commented
            Editing a comment
            I am starting to reconsider the $70 hard cover for mine. If I paid it and it didn’t fit I’d be ticked

Yardistry Pavilion is being built today...plan to leave my Camp Chef out (but under the pavilion). Sill looking for a cover.

I look forward to not wheeling that thing in/out of the garage every weekend (almost, every weekend)

Nicely done on the recovery!

Comment

I had the same thing happen, only mine was from rain and a cover that leaked. I used a random orbital sander with coarse grain wet/dry paper (for metal) and for the corners a multi-tool with a triangle sanding head. Took the surface rust off easily. Then it was just a matter of re-seasoning the surface.

ALSO I made a wood insert to go on top of the griddle, after it is cool. This prevents the cover from sagging if it gets rained on. The water can run off, and there is less chance of a leak. The wood insert is three pieces so it is easier to deal with. I also leave a small box (the cover box specifically) on top of the wood and under the cover. This pushes the center of the cover up higher, encouraging faster runoff.

Comment

Ruh-ro. Glad you could restore it. Probably more work than you really wanted to spend on it, but worth the effort, based on the photos. Nice job.

Kathryn

Comment

There aren't many benefits to living in a desert, but this would be one of them. Even still, I appreciate my covered patio every time hell freezes over and it rains or snows here.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                  DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, we're gonna have a heat index of 114ºF today. But it ain't no dry heat, that's fer shure!

BTW, my son is over in your neck this week. He's at a church camp in Glorietta, NM, east of Santa Fe.

Glad you knew how to fix it. Thanks for the reminder and life lessons!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here