Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Downsize from 28" Blackstone to a 22"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downsize from 28" Blackstone to a 22"?

We are thinking of downsizing from our 28" Blackstone "Adventure Ready" griddle to the 22" tabletop version. We are probably going to buy a rolling tool chest like this:

to put on our patio and replace a huge Tommy Bahama cooler we've used maybe 4 times in as many years. I am thinking I could use the 22" on top of the tool chest and regain some precious floor space on our patio by getting rid of the 28". We don't use the griddle that much. Mostly use our Memphis pellet grill and I play around with our 26" Weber kettle.

Will be be losing much capability wise going from the 28" to the 22"? I know we'll lose some space, but I think it would still be big enough for the majority of things we use it for. We can always overflow onto the pellet grill or stove if we need to.

Well, the Blackstone site shows the capacity of the 28 inch as "18 burgers", and the 22 inch as "12 burgers". I can't find dimensions on the cooking surface, but assuming the depth of the cook top is the same, you are losing about 21% of the cooking surface, but still keeping a 2 zone setup.

Only you can say if that loss of cooking surface impacts you. The 22 inch can probably run from small 1# tanks, or 20# with an adapter hose. I recommend using the 20 pounders, as those 1 pound tanks will run out in about an hour of cooking.

I kinda wonder if you can just remove the side tables and cart legs, and sit the 28 inch on top of the cart as well.

My son in law has some of those Husky tool cabinets, along with upper level cabinets that sit on top of them. Not sure how protected your patio is, but those are not meant to be out in the weather, and I feel may rust in some areas over time if they get wet. I've got a 13 drawer rolling tool cabinet myself, that I made into a workbench by making my own top for it, and it's been a nice addition to the garage. Vice on one end, small drill press on the other, with a power strip mounted on one end.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      The issue with their burger count is that you really would like room for buns, plus room to flip the burgers to a spot that not occupied for heat. Those would be small burgers in my opinion, maybe 4 oz smash style, not the 1/2 lbs we like.

I have the 22”, but only gazed at a 28”. The 22” has room for 4 to 8 burgers (1/2 lb size to smash size) but might be cramped if you wanted to have the buns on there as well. Good size for stir fry, frajitas, fish steaks/filets, etc. I would say 4 people size if cooking/serving all together. Mine is on top of the smaller Keter rolling cart. The Husky looks like plenty of room so that trays and plates can be easily accessible - that’s the problem with my Keter. However, I th8nk the wood top might present issues with food and grease spatters. Maybe the larger Keter would work better with the steel top.
    Last edited by GolfGeezer; May 2, 2022, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• IdahoJim
      IdahoJim commented
      Editing a comment
      Is this the Keter you have?

Shop outdoor entertainment from Keter. View our full collection of quality outdoor & backyard entertainment that is both beautiful and durable. Learn more!

I'm not a big fan of the resin furniture, but the stainless top would be nice. I really want drawers instead of doors though. My back is a mess (just ask my surgeon) so dragging things out of the cabinet instead of lifting them out of a drawer is a big negative for me. I was thinking of getting something metal I could set under the griddle when we use it...

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      IdahoJim Yes, that is the one I have. That "stainless steel" top is really 201 SS, so the ocean air where I am is causing rust. I could keep the rust down with polish, but I'm planning on getting the large Keter version of this. Or, I might look at some better SS carts (marine grade would be ideal!, but haven't seen such a product yet. Maybe places that cater to the boat crowd. I'm not sure this is true resin or some heavy plastic on the Keter, but it has held up well except for the rust.

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      PS. Walmart sells it for the same price that the Keter site link to Overstock sells it for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	06B721CC-DD1E-42C3-985A-AFC279B882A7.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1215305 Click image for larger version

Name:	A9CC806C-0994-4B73-9D20-2C959325E331.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1215304 Click image for larger version

Name:	ED067DB9-3E1A-487A-8896-91BC856C1C10.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1215303 I have the 17” with Adventure Ready stand. Only reason I mention it is the 22” fits on that same stand. Side shelf is easily removed for space/storage. For a cart I have the Blackstone shown. All metal, two drawers and a shelf at mid height, fold down shelves. Very solid. Have fun and good luck.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      Jfrosty27 That cart looks very nice. I cannot find any info on the metal top. Did you get any info with it that may give the make of that top?

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      GolfGeezer I am not completely clear on what you’re asking but the top of the cart is stainless steel. The shelves are either painted or powder coated steel. Not sure which.

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      Jfrosty27 I am asking about the grade of the stainless. 201, 216, 403, whatever. It probably isn’t listed, but I would expect something like 201. Maybe Blackstone support will give that info.

I don't think I've ever heard the word "downsize" on here... Rather than replacing you should probably add the 22" along with the 28"...

Comment

Another option is to start using the 28" more often.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol. Bingo

I have the 22" Blackstone for Chiefs tailgating and a 36" Pit Boss flat top for the house. The 22" has served well for tailgating and large enough to cook in one round for a small to medium sized group. The 22" came with both a 1lb & 20lb bottle connection and it's lightweight enough to be portable but sturdy enough to haul around. If you're cooking for 2-4 peps the 22" is large enough for burgers and buns and definitely large enough for breakfast.

Comment

In my opinion you will miss the space. I have the Grilla Primate. Have the ability to have a 3/4 griddle and a grill grate. While the grill grate is handy, I went back to the full griddle. Just cannot have enough cooking space.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here